Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

1957 Pontiac Star Chief

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 04:56 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 1957 Pontiac Star Chief

‘Bring a Trailer' exclusive: 1957 Pontiac Star Chief

<HR id=bighr>

<!--This is where the subscribe if date entered in slug was -->Bring A Trailer
This 1957 Pontiac Star Chief is for sale on eBay and Bring a Trailer.com.

By: Jake Lingeman on 4/05/2012

Related Articles
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Our love of Pontiacs is well documented here at Autoweek. So we couldn't resist showing you this lime-green example of a 1957 Pontiac Star Chief from our friends over at Bring a Trailer. It has a buy-it-now price of $23,500 on eBay and a “make offer” price of $22,000 on Craigslist.
The paint appears to be in good condition, and the seller in Murietta, Calif., says the body is straight, with no Bondo.
It has the original 347-cubic-inch V8 with a Rochester four-barrel carburetor. Power gets to the rear wheels via a three-speed manual transmission on the column, so keep some lubricant for when the linkage gets stuck. Although no power rating is given, the engine-and-transmission combination should have been good for about 244 hp when new. The seller says the drivetrain was rebuilt 600 miles ago and that everything works except the factory radio, speedometer and wipers. The receipts for the drivetrain work are included. The steering and brakes are both manual, so in addition to a trailer, bring some muscle.
The tires are 14-inch Coker whitewalls with period-correct tri-star hubcaps.
The car was built in Kansas City, Mo., and then spent time in Oklahoma before the seller bought it in Georgia.
Extra parts include a set of chrome side moldings, two sets of top-hat hubcaps and a pair of taillight housings.
Check out the listing on Bring a Trailer here, and more information is on eBay. The sale ends on April 13.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:05 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

That would be a pretty sweet old car, wouldnt mind owning it

Old 04-06-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
That would be a pretty sweet old car, wouldnt mind owning it

Hi `Mike, I've can't remember ever seeing one like that..I did some research & Pontiac really had some super performance rides in that era..

For the $'s they want for it $23K +, I'd rather have a Super GTO like yours 4-Sure

Below would make a nice Surf Wagon

Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 AM

Pontiac GTO – The First True Muscle Car

<!-- Quick Adsense WordPress Plugin: QuickSense -->
Pontiac GTO

Pontiac GTO

Pontiac GTO is built by General Motors Holden in Australia from 2003 to date. However, General Motors is not the first one to build this muscle car. It was an automobile built by Pontiac from 1964 to 1974.
However, there are a few major differences in both of these company’s models of Pontiac GTO. The major one is — General Motor’s Pontiac GTO is a left hand drive Holden Monaro, itself a coupe variant of the Holden Commodore; where as the old one from Pontiac was closely related to the Pontiac Tempes for most of the time and to Pontiac Ventura at the latter times.
First Generation Models:
Pontiac GTO

Pontiac GTO

In its existence, GTO has gone through several changes in almost all the dimensions along with its design. The first Pontiac GTO (in 1964) was an option package for the Pontiac LeMans, available with the two-door sedan, hardtop coupe, and convertible body styles. After that a few other variants made available until 1968. All these models can be called first generation GTOs.
Second Generation Models:
The second generation GTO came into existence from General Motors. GM redesigned its A-body line for 1968, with more curvaceous, “bustleback” fastback styling. A unique feature was the body-color Endura front bumper. It was designed to absorb impact without permanent deformation at low speeds. These second generation models were in existence up to 1972, with some minor variations in each of the models.
Pontiac GTO

Pontiac GTO

Final Models:
The final models came into existence from then onwards. The 1973 GTO models shared the re skinned A-body with its “Colonnade” hardtop styling, which eliminated true hardtop design because of the addition of a roof pillar but retention of frameless door work. Rear side windows were now of a fixed design that could not be opened and in a triangular shape. Fans of the original GTO considered the appropriation of a famous muscle car by a Japanese automaker to be sacrilegious
These models were in existence with some minor modifications until 1999. However, the popularity seems to be decreasing day after day because of the age old technology used in the engines, even in the 21st century models. This has thrown Pontiac GTO into some real hard times. In 21st century, came the time of revival for this great model which is quite often called, “The first true muscle car”.
Revival of Pontiac GTO:
There would have been no better market than United States, which is definitely the mother of automobile industry, to re-launch this great model. Based on the platform of Holden Monaro’s V, The Pontiac GTO was re launched in the United States in late 2003. The Monaro is a 2 door coupe variant of the Australian developed VT/VX Holden Commodore. The Commodore was in turn developed by enlarging the European designed 1994 Opel Omega B, which was marketed in its original form in the U.S. from 1997 to 2001 as the Cadillac Catera.
Pontiac GTO also tried its fortunes with the sports models in 2005 and 2006. Despite of great expectations from the automobile legend General Motors, Pontiac GTO’s sports models are not a great success story. Again critics say that the models don’t have enough powerful engines to support their caliber as 21st century’s sports models.
Critics on Pontiac’s GTO:
Right from the time of first generation GTO, critics are not too impressed with these models. Most of them say that the engines are not of the cutting edge technologies of their times. Some critics even went ahead and said that any of the models of GTO are 5 years old in terms of technology when compared to any of their peers.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:47 AM

I love classic cars Space, there so neat & seems everyone is differnt, & hmm i dont see how they can say the newer GTOs are underpowered when they had Corvette power under the hood

Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
I love classic cars Space, there so neat & seems everyone is differnt, & hmm i dont see how they can say the newer GTOs are underpowered when they had Corvette power under the hood

Hi Mike, it's called freedom of speech, but I sure don't believe everything that people speech or write...I think many of these writer did 2 much LSD/drugs in that era & they thought their VW Bug was faster ~> I think they still are doing drugs ~> LOL~>
I do think your model from the Aussie's were the best handling & performing models 4-Sure

Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 AM

Well mine handles a lil better than stock with all of its shiney red parts under it i love my GTO its an amazing car

Old 04-06-2012, 07:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

My dad had a 1951 pontiac chieftan with a straight 8 and a steering wheel as big as a bus. It was fun to drive. It had an am fm tube radio and a 6 volt electrical system.
I was a two door like this

but it had a visor on the windshild like this one.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:43 PM

Space I like those old Ponchos for sure. Great lines and plenty of power. I just don't understand the ad for the 57 that is for sale. Why rebuild the power train and list the car for sale saying everything works except the radio, speedometer, and wipers. All that stuff is small. It seems to me it would be smarter to fix those things especially the wipers and speedometer and then list it for sale.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Always weary of "a weekend of work will have it running." Then why don't you take a weekend and make it run? Always a BS there.

"Underpowed" comes down to what people think . The GTO was a heavy car for what it was... I do'nt know where the weight in those things was, but dang it was there. You could feel it when driving the car too.

Quick Reply: 1957 Pontiac Star Chief