Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>10 Future Classic Cars Selling for Under $20K <

Old 05-04-2015, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question >10 Future Classic Cars Selling for Under $20K <

• 10 Future Classic Cars Selling for Under $20,000
  • Justin Lloyd-Miller\
  • MCF Member's, Which one below do you like, or would buy ?
  • Or what would you buy for under $20 K Make a post & let us know ?
  • May 03, 2015
Your Reaction?

Source: Thinkstock

With classic cars going at auction for millions of dollars on a fairly regular basis, part of the fun for auto collectors is trying to determine which vehicles available in great numbers now will be worth large quantities of money later. It’s not as easy as one might think: Cars that are deemed a good investment, which will appreciate in time, are highly sought after as a result. Finding vehicles that are currently available for less money than they were new — say, under $20,000 — and will appreciate over time is especially difficult, but readers of Jalopnik took up the challenge.
These cars are priced at the whim of their current owners, and Jalopnik used eBay.com to find examples. As of this writing, these cars may or may not have been sold, but for many, it’s only a matter of playing the waiting game until the right vehicle comes along at a reasonable price.

The site asked its readers about the cars they believed would appreciate over time, provided that they were available for less than $20,000 now. Jalopnik then chose the most popular answers. Notably, the pictures displayed may not match the exact vehicle discussed, but we tried our best. Here are the top 10.

7 Reactions

Ross Land/Getty Images

10. Dodge Viper

A brand spankin’ new SRT Viper will retail for about $100,000, even before options. But travel back a ways to the generation that started it all and examples of Dodge’sV10-powered Corvette fighter can be swung for under $20,000. “It has no windows, no roof, the engine from a truck, an exhaust that burns your leg, and Power Wheels build quality. It’s absolutely perfect,” Jalopnik pines, acknowledging that the Viper fell a littleoutside of the pricing threshold — as of the time of writing, bids were asking a hair over $22,000.

2 Reactions

Source: Toyota

9. Toyota FJ40

Off-roading vehicles are built to be used and abused, but that hasn’t stopped Toyota’s beloved and legendary line of dedicated trail blazers from making significant gains in value. Jalopnik notes that low-mileage examples of the cars are breaking into six figures, but the 1980 model year example cited by the publication was going for a mere $14,500 before a “best offer” was accepted.

7 Reactions

Source: Alfa Romeo

8. Alfa Romeo Series 1

“It’s a fuel-injected, turbocharged, quirky, Italian roadster from the right end of the ’60s. ‘Nuff Said,” Jalopnik writes. Admittedly, it’s hard to argue with that sentiment. Perhaps best of all, the example cited was going for a meager $4,650 at the time of this writing. It needs some work, but for the auto-savvy, project cars don’t get much better than this.

6 Reactions

Source: Honda

7. Acura Integra Type R

The Acura Integra R’s “low production numbers, loud colors, and stellar naturally aspirated performance make it quite the catch, if you can catch a tastefully molested example in your local neighborhood (spoiler alert: You can’t),” Jalopnik says, accurately describing the popularity that the Integra R had among DIY tuners. Though it was front wheel drive, the 195-horsepower Integra behaved like a Supra lite, making it a favorite for more budget-conscious Japanese sports car enthusiasts.

Your Reaction?

Source: Chevrolet via Facebook

6. Chevrolet Corvette C4 ZR1

With 650 horsepower and 650 pound-feet of torque, the new Chevrolet Corvette Z06 will be among the most powerful production ‘Vettes ever. But the ZR1 is where the upper echelons of Corvette lore began. “It’s a rare Corvette designed in the early 80s, with a very un-American dual overhead cam V8, with 32 valves, designed by Lotus,” Jalopnik said. “It had nearly twice the power output as the regular C4 Vette, and it was almost twice as much as the base model when new.” A Jalopnik reader found one for about $17,000.

Your Reaction?

Source: Pontiac via Facebook

5. Pontiac Trans Am Turbo

Corvette not really your thing? Not brash enough? Well, Pontiac has you covered — or did, rather — with the Trans Am Turbo. A 20th anniversary edition Trans AM GTA Turbo sold on eBay for just over $12,000, and its value is expected to increase with time, as only 1,555 of the 301-horsepower, 3.8-liter turbocharged-six powered cars were produced.

Your Reaction?

Source: Ford

4. Ford Mustang SVT Cobra

Arguably, the Ford Mustang Cobra of the early 2000s was the car that the Mustang should have been all along. It had independent rear suspension (long a sore spot in the Mustang’s engineering history) and a dual overhead cam V8 (an upgrade over the V8 found in the more standard Mustang GTs). A 2003 example of the Mustang Cobra sold at just over $12,100, and given its more limited production numbers, it’s likely to increase from there.

Your Reaction?

Source: Audi

3. Audi RS6

Sadly, there’s no RS6 sedan currently available in the North American market, but there is a float of older models that can be bought for a steal. The Audi RS6 is among the most underrated sleeper cars on the road, with little indication on the outside that it was packing a nuclear missile beneath the hood. A 2003 example of the RS6 was going for about $14,500 at the time of writing, with less than 80,000 miles on the clock.

Your Reaction?

Source: Chrysler Group

2. Dodge Stealth R/T and TT; Mitsubishi 3000 VR4

These cars are perhaps some of the best performance bargains available, Jalopnik says, citing an example of a Stealth twin-turbo going for under $10,000 that offers 320 horsepower on tap. “You get 320 horsepower, 6 speeds, all wheel drive, and all the smiles that Mitsubishi allowed you to have in a car in the 90s,” it says. The story is the same with the Mitsubishi — the cars were essentially the same, divided by badge alone.

1 Reaction

Source: Buick

1. Buick Grand National

Muscle cars were long built on the idea of huge-displacement, supercharged V8s, but the Buick Grand National challenged that paradigm with a turbocharged six similar to that found in the Pontiac. The 1987 model highlighted by Jalopnik sold for just $14,000, with an odometer reading at just 46,563 miles.
More from Autos Cheat Sheet:

Old 05-04-2015, 11:40 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

The Grand National is the only one I would even consider. But I am partial to the GBody too!!

Old 05-04-2015, 11:46 AM

My choice also Mod `Barbara,

I would also add the 06-07 Chevrolet Monte Carlo S.S. to the list... I think they are classic already & the clean/maintained S.S. will demand a high price in the coming years. Clean ones are getting harder to find & most of them are owned & maintained by the member's here on the MCF

Old 05-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Agree

Originally Posted by P343
The Grand National is the only one I would even consider. But I am partial to the GBody too!!
I had a Turbo T-type but face it it was no Grand National

Old 05-04-2015, 11:55 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
My choice also Mod `Barbara,

I would also add the 06-07 Chevrolet Monte Carlo S.S. to the list... I think they are classic already & the clean/maintained S.S. will demand a high price in the coming years. Clean ones are getting harder to find & most of them are owned & maintained by the member's here on the MCF
I believe you. I recently got an 07 Impala SS with 10000 less miles that my Monte. the Dealer waned to trade straight up for it. I told him the Monte was not for sale.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:56 AM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Oh yes I would take ANY Monte Carlo but they keep leaving them off the list. The more pics of the 1st gens I see, the more I want one!! A black 1st gen Monte would work just fine!! LOL
Yes, our MCF members sure love their Montes and it shows!!

Old 05-04-2015, 11:57 AM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by singrseanr
I had a Turbo T-type but face it it was no Grand National
I would choose the Monte over the GN anyday but it was the only one on that list I would choose.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:09 PM
10 Year Member

and- I challenge everyone to find a Acura Integra Type R that doesn’t have a stupid wing, a wacky body kit, and wheels with a ridiculous camber. if the article means an unaltered car is to be considered to be a classic, I don't believe that one exsist

Old 05-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Talking I like the Acura >they R quick & fun 2 drive

Originally Posted by singrseanr
and- I challenge everyone to find a Acura Integra Type R that doesn’t have a stupid wing, a wacky body kit, and wheels with a ridiculous camber. if the article means an unaltered car is to be considered to be a classic, I don't believe that one exsist

Hi `Sean, one must consider the source of the article & selection.
I do believe that some of the selector's maybe smoking some good `stuff while selecting (LOL)
‘Nuff Said,” Jalopnik writes. Admittedly, it’s hard to argue with that sentiment. Perhaps best of all, the example cited was going for a meager $4,650 at the time of this writing. It needs some work, but for the auto-savvy, project cars don’t get much better than this.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:34 PM
Question

1976 CHEVY MONTE CARLO - $25000 (make & offer)
< >

1976 CHEVY MONTE CARLO odometer: 234 VIN: NA paint color : grey size : full-size type : other drive : rwd fuel : gas transmission : automatic title status : clean cylinders : 8 cylinders
condition: excellent

Type Antique custom /Classic
Body Style
Engine 350 V8

power brakes
front disk brakes
dual exhaust
sway bars front and rear
new carpet n upholstery & a/c

FOR SALE: 1976 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Antique/Classic /, Florida
For sale in our Orlando is a 1976 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. 1973 marked the first year for the second generation of Monte Carlo.

In 1976 front fascial changes for the Monte Carlo included vertical headlights and cross hatch grille the rear of the vehicle remained fairly unchanged except for the re designed tail lights

Our particular example is equipped with the 350 V8 Custom that has had some mild dress up & engine modifications , headers, and aluminum radiator.

Moving down the drive line you find a TH350 mated to a 10 bolt rear end. The exterior has been upgraded with a stunning dark Charcoal gray metallic finish that is sure to gain attention everywhere it goes.

Plus burgundy seats provide a great contrast against the dark gray dash and carpets and match the style of this vehicle perfectly.

Another fun option you could add from the dealership was the swivel seats that indeed add more character to this car.

With a vehicle this different you will definitely stand out at any local car show. Options include: 350 4 main bolt V8, TH 350, 10 Bolt rear, Power Steering, Power Brakes, AM/FM Stereo, blue tooth Interior, Swivel buckets cold a/c For more information please call at show contact info text or write to show contact info . To see more pictures contact me directly . Price$25,000 make me an offer I may not refuse....
please ask you're wife before making a decision. :-)
  • it's ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
post id: 4965223631

updated: 5 days ago

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: >10 Future Classic Cars Selling for Under $20K <