Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

> 10 Best Engines for 2015<

Old 02-09-2015, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool > 10 Best Engines for 2015<

Auto Tech

Ward's Auto names its 10 Best Engines for 2015

Member's, Which on do you want ?
By Stephen Edelstein
High Gear Media

Hellcat (Dodge)

It's the end of the year, which in the auto industry means various 'of the year' lists are appearing to sum up the most significant new cars and trucks of the past 12 months. In addition, one of the most watched parts of this automotive award season is the annual Ward's Auto 10 Best Engines list.

The jurors at Ward's evaluated 37 new or improved powertrains and—showing automakers' current emphasis on fuel economy—that group included 15 turbocharged four-cylinder engines, four electric powertrains, and the first-ever hydrogen fuel-cell powertrain to be eligible for the award. They made up what the jurors called the most diverse field ever.
Here are Ward's 10 best engines for 2015:

127-kilowatt electric motor (BMW i3)

6.2-liter OHV V-8 (Chevrolet Corvette Stingray)
">6.2-liter Supercharged OHV V-8 (Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat)

1.0-liter Turbocharged DOHC 3-cylinder (Ford Fiesta)

100-kW Fuel Cell (Hyundai Tucson Fuel Cell Vehicle)

1.5-liter Turbocharged DOHC 3-cylinder (MINI Cooper)

3.0-liter Turbodiesel DOHC V-6 (Ram 1500 EcoDiesel)

2.0-liter Turbocharged H-4 (Subaru WRX)

1.8-liter Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Volkswagen Golf)<

2.0-liter Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Volvo S60)

The supercharged 6.2-liter Hellcat V-8 from Dodge has generated plenty of buzz everywhere else, and with 707 horsepower it certainly has the muscle to be considered a great engine. It's joined by another 6.2-liter V-8, the naturally-aspirated small block from the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, which was eligible again because it made the list last year. The 2015 Subaru WRX's boxer four also made the cut.
The two V-8s were outliers. They each have just over twice the displacement of the next biggest engine-—the 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 from Ram—and the Chevy small block was the only naturally-aspirated engine to make the list this year.
Stretching the definition of "engine" were the BMW i3's electric motor—the second electric powertrain to make the list—and Hyundai's fuel-cell powertrain.
----------

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 02-09-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:22 AM
Cool My Choice > What's yours ?<

2015 Chevrolet
CORVETTE
Z06

SUPERCHARGED FURY

The Corvette Z06 Returns With A Vengeance.

Introducing the most track-capable Corvette in history – the 2015 Corvette Z06. It pushes the performance envelope for Corvette with unprecedented levels of aerodynamic downforce,650 horsepower from an all-new supercharged engine, and an all-new, high-performance eight-speed automatic transmission – all building on the advanced driver technologies introduced on the Corvette Stingray. This new Z06 is a completely different beast.

Supercharged 650 horsepower LT4 V8 engine

Available 8-speed automatic transmission

Faster lap times than the C6 Corvette ZR1

Z07 Performance Package

2015 Z06 Inventory and Ordering

Starting At

$
MSRP
Engine: 6.2L Supercharged V8Horsepower 6500-60: 2.95 SecondsQuarter mile: 10.95 Seconds @127 MPHNürburgring lap: TBARelease Date

Available Now!
The 2015 Corvette Z06 has been released as of early December, 2014. Cars are being built, shipped, and delivered, though ordering allocations are limited.

NEW ENGINE. NEW SOUL.

The New Supercharged 650-Horsepower 6.2L V8 Engine Packs a Serious Punch.

The heart of the 2015 Corvette Z06 is the all-new LT4 6.2L supercharged V-8 engine, delivering 650 horsepower (485 kW) and 650 lb-ft of torque (881 Nm). To balance performance and efficiency, the LT4 leverages the same trio of advanced technologies introduced on the Corvette Stingray: Direct injection, Active Fuel Management, or cylinder deactivation, and continuously variable valve timing.

These technologies – combined with the fuel-efficient multi-speed transmissions, aerodynamic design and lightweight construction – help make the new Z06 surprisingly fuel efficient.

The LT4 engine also has several unique features designed to support its higher output and the greater cylinder pressures created by forced induction, including:

• Rotocast A356T6 aluminum cylinder heads that are stronger and handle heat better than conventional heads
  • Lightweight titanium intake valves and machined connecting rods for reduced reciprocating mass
  • High 10.0:1 compression ratio – for a forced-induction engine – enhances performance and efficiency and is enabled by direct injection
  • Forged aluminum pistons with unique, stronger structure to ensure strength under high cylinder pressures
  • Stainless steel exhaust headers and an aluminum balancer that are lighter than their LT1 counterparts
  • Standard dry-sump oiling system with larger cooler capacity than Z51; used with dual-pressure-control oil pump.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I see a problem with this list. I do not see the gm 3800. hahaha.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:45 AM
Talking Chevy's Bullet'Proof 3.8L Engine

Originally Posted by crazyzach722
I see a problem with this list. I do not see the gm 3800. hahaha.

Problem > Solved >

Old 02-09-2015, 11:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

I'm happy to see that engines that are in my vehicles are making Ward's lists.

It's not there this year, but in 2012 Ward gave the award to the LFX that's in my Camaro, and the 3800 was on those lists for a long time.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:47 AM

GM 3.6L V6 on Ten Best Engines List December 16, 2008

Posted by wilsonniblett in Auto News, Enthusiastic Commentary, Green.
trackback

This is a press release from GM Canada……..
St. Catharine’s Produced GM 3.6L Direct Injection V-6 Engine Makes Ward’s North American ‘Ten Best Engines’ List
The 3.6L V-6 VVT with direct injection in the Cadillac CTS recognized for second year for delivering fuel efficiency and performance

Oshawa, Ontario. - General Motors’ 3.6L direct injection V-6 VVT has been named to Ward’s AutoWorld magazine’s 2009 “Ten Best Engines” list for North America. Produced at GM Canada’s St. Catharines powertrain facility, the engine is part of GM’s overall strategy to equip vehicles with advanced propulsion technologies that improve fuel economy and reduce emissions.
This is the second year that the magazine’s editors have recognized this engine, which is in the 2008 Cadillac CTS – Motor Trend’s 2008 Car of the Year – and six other GM models. The award will be presented in January at the North American International Auto Show.
“We are pleased that the results of our green by design transformation are being recognized,” said David Paterson, vice president of corporate affairs for GM of Canada. “Results like these reflect the aggressive focus we’ve paced on improving fuel economy and reducing vehicle emissions through advanced engine and transmission technologies.”
GM’s 3.6L V-6 engine with variable valve timing and direct injection technology is one of the most fuel-efficient in GM’s high-feature engine family, delivering a 3-percent fuel economy improvement over its predecessor. The 2008 CTS, when equipped with the 3.6L V-6 VVT with direct injection and six-speed automatic transmission, consumes just 7.5L/100 km highway and 10.1L/100km combined.
The application of direct injection also reduces cold-start hydrocarbon emissions by 25 percent. With direct injection, fuel is sprayed directly into the engine cylinder, where it is mixed with air. As the fuel vaporizes in the cylinder, the air and fuel mixture is cooled. This enables the use of a higher compression ratio, which improves engine efficiency and performance.
In addition to the Cadillac CTS, the 3.6L DI V-6 engine is available in the 2009 Buick Enclave, Cadillac STS, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook and Saturn Vue 2-Mode Hybrid.
================================================== ================================================== =========

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 02-09-2015 at 11:49 AM.