Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>10 '90s Cars That Are Still Totally in Demand <

Old 04-30-2015, 09:06 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question >10 '90s Cars That Are Still Totally in Demand <

Ten '90s Cars That Are Still Totally in Demand
10.(a)
1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z 34 (Best kept secret)

Factory Ordered by MCF Moderator `David >a 1999 MONTECARLO Z-34 only 16,031 ever Produced in 1999. It's the last model year for the Monte Carlo Z-34
MainStreet‎April‎ ‎30‎, ‎2015

Photo: pyntofmyld | Flickr
Sorry, Millennials, but even the cars your parents shuttled you to school in are being left behind.
There are still a whole lot of people looking for 1990s cars, but that number decreases with each passing year. Mark Williams, analyst for Kelley Blue Book, did some digging and found that vehicles from the ‘90s are on a consistent decline, which he doesn’t find at all surprising.
“As new model years are introduced to the market, the older model years are being suppressed and yield less interest,” he says. “For example, the most shopped 1990s models are 1999, 1998, 1997, respectively.”
Williams pulled up the Top 25 cars from the 1990s searched on Kelley Blue Book and came up with the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Honda Civic, Jeep Wrangler, Ford F-150, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford Mustang and Toyota Corolla among the top 10. Much of that group’s current models are still among the best sellers in the U.S. In fact, discontinued rarities such as the Chevy Blazer, Saturn S-Series and Cadillac DeVille scarcely crack the Top 20.
We spoke with the folks at KBB and used car pricing site CarGurus and came up with the 10 cars from the '90s that anyone cares about in great numbers anymore: (MCF bbMike added a 10(a) to the list)

Photo: Zach Dischner | Flickr
10. Toyota 4Runner
A reliable off-road vehicle is hard to come by, but a cheap one is especially rare. Sure, the '90s models are roomy, have a power-sliding rear window and may have appeared in a hip-hop video or two, but the fact that their owners typically don’t have to put a whole lot of maintenance into them is a big seller.
That, and they’re still beasts on trails and dunes. This is no crossover. The body-on-frame construction that its competitors ditched in favor of unibody chassis long ago is still with the 2014 4Runner today. With Toyota just dropping the FJ Cruiser and the cost of a '90s 4Runner in the low- to mid-four figures, though, it might pay to stick with the classic.
“Our site gets a lot of traffic from enthusiasts who are not always looking for maximal value, but they are looking for something distinctive in a car,” says Steve Halloran, content and social media manager for CarGurus. “Either something that will take them pretty much anywhere they want to go or something that they can haul huge loads with. The 4Runner has a niche that it pretty much fills all by itself.”

Photo: Phil Darnell | Flickr
9. Jeep Grand Cherokee
Born in 1993, the Grand Cherokee was designed to give an off-road vehicle some luxury comfort. Though drivers in the '90s turned them into the hulking grocery getters that took the “U” out of SUVs and gave the whole class a bad name, the '90s Grand Cherokee has been redeemed by off roaders. The 1999 model received 4.2 out of five stars from CarGurus readers for both its ground clearance and how it handles snow. It only took about 16 years and a switch to a crossover platform for people to love the original Grand Cherokees for their intended purpose.
“If you’re looking for a car to modify and want to take it out in the woods and beat the crap out of it, you’re not going to want to spend a whole lot of money on it,” Halloran says. “A beater SUV is going to be a great place to start for somebody who wants to do that with their vehicle.”

Photo: Brenden Ashton | Flickr
8. Toyota Camry
It’s still the best-selling car in the U.S. today and one of the Top 5 selling vehicles overall. Why? Because it’s reliable enough to still have a whole lot of '80s and '90s models on the road. It’s been in the U.S. since 1983, and just about every model year has adequate representation on our streets and highways. It is one of the most boring, uninspiring cars available, but you can’t kill it without a whole lot of effort or blunt force. It’s built to last and not ashamed of it in the least.
“The older a car you can buy used, the less expensive it’s going to be,” Halloran says. “A lot of the cars on our list are incredibly long-lived vehicles. The Camry, the Accord, the Civic — these are all cars that are recognized for the fact that they retain their value well because they run reliably for hundreds of thousands of miles, and any buyer who’s looking for value should be starting with those cars.”

Photo: Greg Gjerdingen | Flickr
7. Ford Mustang
The Mustang brand is an icon, but the generations of Mustangs can sow discord between the most fervent fans. Aside from Lee Iacocca’s Mustang II of the late '70s, perhaps no form of the Mustang divides allegiances as much as the long, Fox-body platform of the '80s and '90s. The latter decade, in particular, was an incredibly tough time for the vehicle. The last of the original Fox-body generation drew attention from Vanilla Ice, who name-dropped his 5.0-liter dream machine in both Ice, Ice, Baby and over a Steve Miller sample in the less-subtle Rollin’ In My 5.0.
It was a huge relief, then, when the vehicle’s fourth generation was released in 1993 with a brawnier engine and a less boxy exterior. It was a much-needed upgrade that became a huge favorite almost immediately. It boosted sales by almost 40,000 vehicles in a year and nearly doubled the 1992 total just three years later. Sales peaked at 203,000 Mustangs by 2000, which is almost miraculous considering Mustang sales have fluctuated between 67,000 and 82,000 since the recession.

6. Ford Ranger
Nobody asked Ranger drivers if they wanted to keep this vehicle around. The last time Ford gave the Ranger a complete generational overhaul was 1992. The last time it gave the Ranger a redesign was 1998.
Sure, people love the Ford Ranger, because it was discontinued in 2011 and they’ll take whatever version of Ford’s small truck they can get. The reason they’ll still buy '90s versions, however, is because they’re cheap and a reminder of the last time Ford gave a damn about this truck. You can still get new Toyota Tacomas, and General Motors just revived the Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon, but the Ford Ranger lives only in the used car listings, and there are still a whole lot of them to go around.

5. Honda Civic
This isn’t where we give you the Toyota Camry spiel about huge sales numbers and reliability.
Sure, there are still people who buy '90s Civics for that reason, but there are typically two traits that draw a certain buyer base to these cars: fast and furious. Tuners absolutely love the Civic because it’s really easy to modify. It’s a fuel-sipping, smooth-handling family car, sure, but you can turn it into something a whole lot louder and prouder without a whole lot of investment. It’s perhaps the one car that soccer moms and their teenage kids find themselves competing for in the used car listings.

4. Ford F-150
Not exactly a huge surprise. Ford crows constantly about the fact that its F-Series has produced the best-selling vehicles in the U.S. for more than three decades. But it wasn’t until 1999 that Ford started explicitly targeting everyday drivers by pulling the F-150 away from commercial use in favor of the Super Duty F-250 and F-350. The '90s introduced the F-150 as a family car, an everyday commuter and a mall hauler. Put as many tough-guy accessories on it as you’d like, but after the '90s the F-150 had more in common with the Explorer than it did with its heavy hauling F-Series siblings.
But it shouldn’t be discounted that the '90s F-150s, like most '90s cars, belong to one of the last generations of vehicles that most owners had some hope of fixing themselves.

3. Honda Accord
Yep, now we’re back in Camry territory. Honda pretty much nailed the ’90s family sedan when it made the Accord. It’s safe, reliable, dependable and great for everyday use, even more than years after production. It doesn’t have the tuner cred of the Civic, but the reliable, standard-issue midsize lives to be boring.
“They’ve sold well just about every year they’ve been available,” Halloran says. “The Accord, the Camry and the Civic run well always.“

2. Chevrolet Corvette
The '90s Vette? Really?
Lacking the classic lines of its '60s and '70s stingray predecessors, the late-80s and '90s Corvettes looked like Barbie dream cars at best and pale caricatures of a sports car at worst. The performance was still there, but it had all the personality of something you’d expect a weekend warrior to park in a Sonoma tasting room’s parking lot.
Performance cars are often wrongly equated with a midlife crisis, but considering just how often the Japanese, German and Italian automakers were handing GM its lunch at this time, the Corvette was a rolling version of that. That said, it’s still a Corvette and there are no shortage of folks who’d still like to retire in one, albeit on the cheap. This fits that depressing bill.

1. Jeep Wrangler
Consider this the '90s anti-Vette. Sure, Jeeps are always coveted for their off-road capability and for their iconic look, but the Wrangler lost a bit of its identity when AMC and Chrysler made it a boxier, square-eyed, more '80s version of itself.
That all changed in 1997, when Chrysler brought back the rounded headlights from when it was known simply as the Jeep CJ, put the turn signals back on the front fenders and basically made it look like a Jeep again. There was no stretched-out “unlimited” version, no modified grill and nothing but the classic Jeep experience. For a whole lot of used car buyers, that’s still good enough.
”It’s the look,” Halloran says. “As the Wrangler got a little softer, it lost some of its appeal to die-hard fans for sure.”
— Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore., for MainStreet (edit: add by BBMike

Hi MCF Member's,
Which vehicle would you put on the above list ?
Post it > Thank You <

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 04-30-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ok I'm weird but, here are some I wanted back then

1990 Pontiac 6000 STE(AWD)
1992 Chevy Lumina Z34
1993 GMC Typhoon
1999 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe

Old 04-30-2015, 10:31 AM

Hi `Sean,
Thanks for being the first to post & contribute to this thread I like the last two you posted
1993 GMC Typhoon
1999 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe

I really like the Typhoon (WoW) they could bring it back as it & it would sell like hot cakes on a Sunday morning
One of the senior's had one & he got on it & took it to the track & smoked many rides....That year Caddy was a classic

Old 04-30-2015, 11:33 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can see those cars being wanted except maybe the 90s vette. The rest of them though is still a lot left around here especially the Camry and mustang.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:41 AM
10 Year Member

I think that many of these on the list, the Ranger, the Camry, the Mustang, and the Wrangler were so beloved by their owners that you could find a well kept one today

and if i found a well kept 10th Gen Eldorado Today, I'd buy it

Old 04-30-2015, 02:10 PM
Talking Maybe > Maybe Not

Originally Posted by singrseanr
I think that many of these on the list, the Ranger, the Camry, the Mustang, and the Wrangler were so beloved by their owners that you could find a well kept one today

and if i found a well kept 10th Gen Eldorado Today, I'd buy it

2001 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

• Source link with 50 Pictures +
Instant shipping price for this vehicle

Location:Grand Rapids, Michigan 49512Stock #:B0521Mileage:92512Trans:AutoCondition:ExcellentE xterior:Pearl WhiteInterior:Cream
Description:This 2001 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe (ETC) is from the last generation of the 2-door personal luxury vehicle that was an iconic figure produced for 50 years. The late model years of this line have the feel of the classic stylish 2-door luxury cars, but with the modern technology people expect for their daily commuting. The result is a really smooth, comfortable driver that is quality every step of the way.
This 2001 ETC comes fully loaded with plenty of great options. It features power & heated front seats, memory settings, tilt steering wheel, CD player, On-Star, gold keys, power windows, and keyless entry. This car has been routinely maintenance at a dealer with a Clean CarFax with zero accident history and 25 service records. Recent maintenance includes a new water pump, power steering pump, and thermostat. This car is in excellent condition and is a ton of car for the price tag. Please call or email for more details!
To see over 80 photos of this car, including under carriage please visit our website Welcome To GR Auto Gallery | GR Auto Gallery
Gr Auto Gallery makes every effort to represent each vehicle accurately and with integrity. We also welcome third party inspections when necessary. Although we try to do our very best to be accurate in our description writing we are human and do make mistakes. Unless otherwise noted, All vehicles are sold AS IS, No Warranty Expressed or Implied. All sales final.
Price: $8,900

Old 04-30-2015, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member

ooooh I have to check it out

Old 04-30-2015, 05:40 PM

ooooh I have to check it out

Hi `Sean,
Let us know what you think of it...? The price seem fair/decent for the appearance in pictures & what the dealer claims + it has a CarFax report...

Old 05-01-2015, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member

from what i can see it is a reasonable price to that car. It seems very nice. stop me before I make and offer on it.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:02 AM

from what i can see it is a reasonable price to that car. It seems very nice. stop me before I make and offer on it.

Hi `Sean, in the vid it looks like it's a new one. I think the price is right if it proves to be as good as it appears...You are the driver of your own life & $'s (lol) Good Luck on your decision.
I'd be happy to have it > drive it. It's has that classic look & a proven 300 HP V8...Good Luck
http://www.autoblog.com/buy/2001-Cad...expert-review/
Click above for review

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 05-01-2015 at 08:07 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: >10 '90s Cars That Are Still Totally in Demand <