Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

+1 hope for humanity

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 04:47 PM
1 Year Member
Default +1 hope for humanity

Story time folks! Helps to understand why I thought it post-worthy.

I live in midtown atlanta. So midtown that I can turn 360 degrees and see virtually every skyscraper from right outside my apartment. With that naturally comes the "big city" environment - hordes of homeless people walking the streets, shady characters with heavy coats on warm sunny days, sirens and helicopters and planes and horns blaring all day long, the ambient noise of 24-hour heavy I-75 traffic. And in my particular neighborhood, there are several packs of wild children that run around every afternoon screaming profanities and yelling and throwing ***** at cars and generally being a nuisance day in and day out. You get used to not having any peace and quiet.

Earlier today I went out to get the mail and noticed it was an unusually quiet day today. Then all of a sudden, I hear this. Local boy no more than 5 or 6, sitting outside all by himself, just doing his thing. Kind of struck me as eerily peaceful, so I sat down and listened for a while. No sirens or horns, no screaming, just this.

If you haven't lived in a densely populated high-crime urban city, you might not fully appreciate this, but for those of you who have can perhaps understand why I thought it was worth sharing. Definitely not something you experience everyday in this kind of area. Also just kind of impressive to see such a young kid playing like that.

Last edited by milrlyt; 04-03-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I definitely understand what you're feeling. Although I don't live in a big city, I do live in a apartment complex right next to a very busy road. I always hear cars wizzing by, tires screaching, horns blaring....sirens exc...and the kids are annoying here too. I live on the end apartment with a hill right next to it so kids are riding their bikes down it all the time, screaming at the top of their lungs..

Old 04-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I certainly don't live in a big city But having been to nyc and stayed with people in apartment complexes I can understand what you mean.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I completely get it, Ally. I live in an area with lots of gangs, thugs, and homeless people. And kids with no respect for anything.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 PM
1 Year Member

But having been to nyc and stayed with people in apartment complexes I can understand what you mean.
There are a few places in the US that are worse than Atlanta, and NYC is definitely one of them. Can't imagine how some folks live there...

I always hear cars wizzing by, tires screaching, horns blaring....sirens exc...and the kids are annoying here too. I live on the end apartment with a hill right next to it so kids are riding their bikes down it all the time, screaming at the top of their lungs..
I completely get it, Ally. I live in an area with lots of gangs, thugs, and homeless people. And kids with no respect for anything.
Exactly, y'all get it. It was sort of like walking into a different universe for a moment....

Even though I grew up in a decent suburban city up north (basically the polar opposite of where I'm at now), I've only been here 3 years and I don't even remember what peace and quiet sounds like anymore.

I don't think that kid knows how much better he made my day, but it kinda put things back in perspective a bit. It's good to see the humanity in places where it's typically so suppressed.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

You guys gotta watch this video clip of an owner of a mom&pop sandwich place.

Ernie serves sandwiches with a smile | News - Home

Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

That would be enough to drive me crazy living like that. Maybe thats why the crime is so high in the big cities. Ya, all gone mad! I live in a pretty small town about 34,000, no thugs low crime and peace and quiet. Lived in Phoenix for 8 years and it was all the way live there for sure... Below aerial of my current home town since 97 Spanish Fork, Utah

Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 PM
1 Year Member

Awesome video! I like the direction this thread is going.

He gets bonus points for that Dale Jr poster in the background

Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
You guys gotta watch this video clip of an owner of a mom&pop sandwich place.

Ernie serves sandwiches with a smile | News - Home
Ha Ol' Ernie loves ya! Good wholesome people makes life worth getting out into and bumping into people. Thanks TAZ nice video to view....

Old 04-04-2013, 06:16 AM

Hi `Ally,
EnJoyed yours & Lou's (Taz) Vid's
Thanks for posting/sharing

The Beach/Ocean is my peaceful/happy `place-space

Last edited by Space; 04-04-2013 at 06:23 AM.

Quick Reply: +1 hope for humanity