Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

~ Your Car Story ~

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ~ Your Car Story ~

[align=center]OFF TOPIC[/align][align=center]A place to boldly go off topic-just about anything goes.[/align][align=center]As per Grandpa `Dave's request & dare.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Please post your favorite Car Story [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Please keep it under one million words : )[/align][align=center]Whose going to be first ?[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Click reply& Post[/align][align=center]it below [/align][align=center][sm=badbadbad.gif][/align][align=center]Thanks[/align]

Old 05-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Default RE: ~ Your Favorite Car Story ~

[align=center]Example Car Story[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]My First Car: 1950 Chevrolet two-door sedan
Posted by
Plain Dealer Business staff May 20, 2007 06:01AM
Categories:
My First Car[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Every Sunday in the Driving Section, The Plain Dealer features a My First Car story from one of our readers.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]From Athens to Bay Village on two quarts of oil. (Click for full size)[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]My very first car was a 1950 Chevrolet two-door ski-slope sedan with no extras. It had a manual transmission, six-cylinder in-line engine of approximately 90 hp. Top speed was about 70 mph uphill or downhill. If you wanted to go faster downhill, you pushed in the clutch. It had cast-iron pistons that limited the maximum speed. I did not own the car, as I did not have any credit and was in college, although I always considered it my car because I had exclusive use of it. At some time during the three years I drove it, 1954-57, it had a cracked block and an extremely noisy differential. My roommate's dad from Elyria made a patch for the crack and essentially fixed it. At one point, the differential was so noisy three people sitting in the front seat could not hear each other. Cars would pull over, thinking it was a police car. For the trip between Athens and Bay Village, it would burn two quarts of oil. We always had to stop at a gas station in Loudonville for bathroom and, more importantly, oil. It was a wonderful car to drive in the hills around Athens. It slid nicely through the corners and would go uphill as fast as downhill. The differential had a very high ratio. After I graduated from college, my younger sister and mother used the car for a couple more years before trading it for my sister's new car. The picture was taken at a southern Ohio park on an outing. -- Paul Harlamert, Berea [/align]
[align=center]__________________________________________________ _______________________[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Your Turn[/align]

Old 05-30-2007, 02:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Okay here goes! Story 1!

It was the night of my Winter Senior Dance. I borrowed my Dad's 1967 T-Bird. The one with the sliding steering column. You have to drive one to understand.

I was swerving all over the lanes on the Sunset Strip when the LAPD pulled me over with my date, friend, and his date.

Needless to say, we had bottles of something under the seats. I think it was Sangria. We were only 17 and were dressed in tuxedos.

When the cop asked me if I was drinking I told him no. He asked me why I was swerving and I told him that the ball joints and ty rodson my Dads' car they were no good.

I even demonstrated by shaking the steering wheel. He told me to be careful and have a good night.

DUI's were rare back in the 70's. I think cops didn't want to hassle with the paperwork.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:08 PM

Story 2

A gang of us were getting pretty toasted at a local bar when the first of us turned 21. Needless to say, a few weren't of age yet.

We met up with a pack of girls who wanted to leave back to their place. I took a collection for beer and jumped into my 1967 Chevelle and headed for the 7-11 myself and picked up a case of Bud.

With the case of beer on the front seat, I got pulled over by a pretty cute young female cop. She asked me if I had been drinking and I told her yes. She asked me why I had a case of beer and I told her I was meeting friends.

She told me that I should probably park the car and walk around the block and 'air" out a bit. I said okay and she split. I think she liked me.

I walked down the block about 50 feet, turned around and headed back to the car. I split the scene headed to the girls' house with the beer and the rest is history.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:35 PM

[align=center]Thanks GP Dave for sharing your party teen carstories : ) [/align][align=center]You were really, really LUCKY : )[/align][align=center]Did you ever get caught Street Racing ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

Old 05-31-2007, 04:31 AM

[align=center]My first Car & How I got it[/align][align=center]
by Space[/align]

[/align][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Once upon a time there was a kidthat fell from`Space.[/align][align=center](I think he hit his head pretty hard & I think that explains his actions)[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Spacefell in love with cars before he could even walk & his first word[/align][align=center]was`car. Space's grandfather was a car guy & at an early age hewould put[/align][align=center]Space on his lap as he drove. Space alwayswas smiling when he was[/align][align=center]motoring down the back roads of SunnyFlorida.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Space was home-schooled by his Grandpa, and at agefive, Space[/align][align=center]starting going to work with his grandfather. Space would study[/align][align=center]andhelp his grand fathercleaning condo's, cars, boats,apartments etc.[/align][align=center]Space was a little go-fer (go 4 this & go 4 that: )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Grandpa taught Space, thatif he wanted something in life, that he[/align][align=center]was going to have to 1.give up to get it 2. Give up to Keep it[/align][align=center]& Give Up to Give.There wasno free ride 4 `Space![/align][align=center][/align][align=center]- Dream it ~ Plan it ~ Act it -[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Space worked hard & fell in love with many cars during his[/align][align=center]journey into his teen years. He watched his savings grow &[/align][align=center]would dream ofthe car he desired.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Approaching his 15th birthday, Space had a difficult time sleeping[/align][align=center]and it was hard for him to concentrate on anything, but cars.[/align][align=center](Oh, girls to : ) ~ They go 2-gether, don't they ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]One of the Rich kids that lived in a high-rise Ocean Front Condo[/align][align=center][b][font="trebuchet ms"][size=4]had a Professionally Modified Turbo Honda Del S

Old 05-31-2007, 09:14 AM

[align=center]Short Story[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Confucious says:
"Man who drives like hell is bound to get there."
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I'm wait'in for you `Space[/align][align=center]Oh, U 2 WizKidd & MCF Members[/align][align=center][:-]Click Below 2[sm=badbadbad.gif]` Go 2 Hell[/align][align=center]http://www.hell.com/[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]LMAO[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][align=center]You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.[/align][align=center]#@!# %#[/align][/align]

Old 05-31-2007, 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

[align=center]Thanks GP Dave for sharing your party teen carstories : ) [/align][align=center]You were really, really LUCKY : )[/align][align=center]Did you ever get caught Street Racing ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]
Thanks to my higher power, the answer is no!

Old 05-31-2007, 02:04 PM

I have a car story to share.I wasn't involved personally but it happened to my best friend that I grew up with.This story might belong in a "Dealership Horror Stories" section though. (Hey Space,there is an idea for your next thread to start)

My friend got a job at an Oldsmobile dealership as a mechanic right after graduating high school.One of his usual jobs was prepping and servicing new and used cars.One afternoon the service manager handed him the keys for a brand new Cutlass that was on the lot and told him to bring it into the service bay.He got the car and brought it in,and told the manager that particular car was checked out before and wondered what they wanted done to it.
The manager told him to put it on the lift and drain out the oil.Then he told him to bring it down off the lift and START IT UP!!!!!!!!!
My friend said"What are you talking about???????? Are you nuts????"
At that point he was reminded he was working for them and he better do as he was told.He started it up,and everyone just stood around smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee,kind of taking a break while this car self destructed.
Then the manager told him to get the replacement engine in the parts room and put it in the Cutlass under a warranty replacement.

It turned out the dealership somehow ordered a brand new engine from GM "by mistake" and didn't want to have to keep it in stock taking up space,or pay the shipping to return it.So some unsuspecting customer eventually bought a brand new Olds Cutlass with a replacement motor.

This was around 1979 by the way,so there was nothing like Carfax to catch it.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:12 PM

When I was 14, my father owned a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere with a 4-on-the-floor, 383, 2-door.

That was was fast and he would let me drive it. I was just learning to stick-shift at the time.

One day we got out of the movies after midnight with my entire family (7 of us), and my dad let me drive us home on the empty streets of L.A.

I got stuck on small pitch at a red light and I couldn't get the car to go. I kept stalling it out of first gear. My dad said that we were going to sit there until I learned how to clutch up-hill.

I tried and tried for 15-20 minutes and my whole family was laughing at me the whole time. They thought it was funnyas I kept stalling it over a hundred times.

I kept saying it was impossible and he kept saying it wasn't. "Put your left foot on the clutch, right foot on the brake and gas at the same time. Slowly give it gas with the right edge of your right foot and letyour left foot up until the clutch engages. When the clutch engages, take off!"

I finally launched it and my tears turned from sadness to joy. I neverfound myselfin that predicament again.

Well I can now say, I am the one of the greatest uphill stick-shift from a dead stop driver and you will ever meet...its awesome to see people get surprised when you don't roll backwards from a stop.

Quick Reply: ~ Your Car Story ~