Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

~ Top Speed + Cars + More ~

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007 | 09:39 PM
Default RE: ~ Top Speed 4-Wheels ? ~

oh yea and 113 in an 2006 impala lt

Old 08-15-2007 | 11:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: ~ Top Speed + Details ~

ORIGINAL: rj

Doing 150mph in the Bentley was just plain loco.

That was back when moonshine watered down with paint thinner ate people's brains so they didn't know any better.
(my grandfather made & sold the stuff)

I have friends from Arkansas and Florida that keep promising they are going to sneak me some 'shine, but I'm still waiting.

Old 08-15-2007 | 07:12 PM

When I was young and stupid I had a friend (officer) clock me at 163 down Cty W in my hometown. Would never do that again in a 78 Camaro. Scary!!!

Old 08-15-2007 | 09:01 PM
rj
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

"I have friends from Arkansas and Florida that keep promising they are going to sneak me some 'shine, but I'm still waiting."

My uncle used to get a bottle for my grandmother the times she went down to VA with us. Want me to ask him?

Old 08-16-2007 | 05:08 AM
|
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: ~ Top Speed + Cars + More ~

[align=center][/align][align=center]Speed King
A test of unbridled acceleration from a standing start to[/align][align=center]200 mph + [][/align]

Old 08-16-2007 | 05:14 AM
|

[align=center]
Next Ampersand:
UP NEXT[/align][align=center]
MG TF
GO >>[/align][align=center]
Driving the Bertone Barchetta[/align][align=center]
Maserati GS Zagato

More: [/align][ul][*][align=center]Zagato: Tailor-made Italian
Photos: [/align][/ul]
[ul][*][align=center]Bertone Barchetta [/align][*][align=center]Maserati GS Zagato [/align][*][align=center]More Future Car Photos
Road & Track Newsletter
Get the latest automotive buzz with the Road & Track newsletter. Each week you'll have access tothe latest videos, photo galleries, insider news and more.

[/align][align=center]If you don't believe the most stylish cars in the world come from Italy, take a look at the two you see here. They also prove that tailor-made, unique body styles are back, at least for the discerning lover — with deep pockets — of fine automotive art. [/align][align=center]The Maserati GS Zagato is based on the first-generation Maserati Spyder, using that car's 4.2-liter 400-bhp V-8 and shortened wheelbase with only two seats. Since the GS Zagato is made from aluminum, it tips the scales at about 400 lb. lighter than the donor Maser. And compared with the Spyder, it feels much stiffer and reacts more precisely through corners. [/align][align=center]Andrea Zagato states only nine of these cars will be built. You'll need to bring a Maserati GranSport Spyder and approximately $475,000. [/align][align=center]Now here's a sad story. This Bertone Barchetta could very well be the last prototype ever made by one of the world's oldest coachbuilders. Bertone is in financial trouble, and the simple reason is they just don't have any customers. [/align][align=center]This is where the Barchetta steps in. Based on the Fiat Panda 100 HP, this stunning roadster is a clear hint toward Bertone's 80-year-long liaison with Fiat. The modern-looking Barchetta pleases the eye like a piece of art; handcrafted alloy panels swing over the 20-in. alloy wheels like a wave, reminding that Barchetta means "little boat" in Italian. Of course certain elements can't be replicated in production, such as the sidepipes, the low windshield and the missing roof. The interior, though eye-catching, is also far too expensive. [/align][align=center]Functionally, the Barchetta works perfectly. At just 141.0 in. long, and riding on the Panda's 91.0-in. wheelbase, this "sporting boat" roars and beautifully navigates country roads, helped by the car's 2400-lb. curb weight. This is a very dynamic and capable vehicle, one that could deliver a lot of pleasure in the $20,000 roadster segment. [/align]

Old 08-16-2007 | 05:22 AM
|

[align=center]
[/size]Driving Impression: 2008 Cadillac CTS
Fine-tuned at the NĂĽrburgring, again. And it shows.[/size]
[align=center]
By Andrew Bornhop•Photos by Bert Swift
[/align]September 2007

[/align]

[/align]
[/align][/align]

Photos:
[ul][*][align=center]2008 Cadillac CTS
Video: [/align][/ul]
[ul][*][align=center]2008 Cadillac CTS: A Lap of the NĂĽburgring[/align][/ul]
[/align][center]There’s an all-new CTS in town, replacing the original that made its debut six years ago and far exceeded Cadillac’s sales expectations. By the company’s count, some 300,000 CTSs are now on the road, spearheading the company’s renaissance with edgy “Art & Science” bodywork on the sporty rear-drive Sigma chassis that was fine-tuned on the Nürburgring in Germany. In size, it slotted between the BMW 3 Series and 5 Series, two cars Cadillac clearly had in mind when it developed the CTS.
Well, the all-new 2008 CTS is here, and guess what — it’s the same length as before, but with a 2.0-in.-wider track that’s the equal of its larger STS brother. And it’s based on a strengthened Sigma chassis that has an all-new upper structure. Also tuned on the Ring, this new CTS has bodywork best described as evolutionary. It’s a bit slab-sided, but the pronounced fender flares make the car look especially aggressive, with 17- or 18-in. tires filling out the wheel wells nicely. Interesting stylistic details include die-cut metal heat vents in the front fenders and ribbed vertical LED light tubes in the headlights and taillights, which give the new CTS a highly technical look.
And technology is at its peak underhood, where the base engine, the familiar 258-bhp port-injected 3.6-liter V-6, is now joined by a direct-injected 3.6-liter V-6 with 304 bhp at 6400 rpm. This aluminum block 24-valve powerplant with chain-driven overhead camshafts is a gem, fitted with a forged crankshaft, coated pistons and variable valve timing that spreads the torque across a wide rev band. Peak torque of 273 lb.-ft. arrives at 5200 rpm, but there’s already 220 lb.-ft. on tap as low as 1000 rpm. As for [/color]performance, [color=#0000ff][size=4]expect 60 mph to arrive in about 6 seconds.
Direct injection of fuel into the combustion chambers does wonderful things. According to Cadillac, the new V-6 makes 15 percent more horsepower and 8 percent more torque than the port-injected 3.6-liter, while getting 3 percent better fuel economy and reducing cold-start emissions by 25 percent. So, the new CTS is unusual in that its optional, more powerful engine is actually more economical than the base powerplant, although the official EPA fuel economy ratings of both cars are expected to be 17 mpg city/27 mpg highway.
Cadillac has gone to great lengths to silence the ticking sound of the high-pressure (1750-psi) injectors. With proprietary rubber O-rings isolating the moving part of the injectors from the stainless-steel fuel rail, plus strategic use of dense foam around the mechanical fuel pump, in the engine’s valley and in other underhood areas, the new CTS, says Cadillac, is quieter than Audi’s benchmarked direct-injected engines. Further quieting efforts include a laminated firewall, an acoustic engine cover, a full-perimeter hood seal and a sound-absorbing bellypan that also reduces drag. The efforts have paid off, as the engine is loud only near its 7000-rpm fuel cutoff point.

[b]And with the new

Old 08-16-2007 | 06:15 AM
|

[align=center][/align][align=center]

Photo Gallery

August2007

Hennessey Venom 1000 HP Twin-Turbo
The Sultan of Brunei can keep his 500 Rolls Royces; we’ll take our grossest vehicular excess in the form of a Hennessey Venom 1000 Twin-Turbo Viper. When the 600 horsepower from a stock 2008 SRT10 Viper—more than created by four Dodge Caliber SEs chained together—hardly sparks your libido, whip out that Amex Centurion card and give Mr. Hennessey a call. John will turn your wheezing SRT10 into a 1000+ horsepower coupe with a little help from twin-turbochargers that pressurize a rebuilt V-10 engine. Not only are you instantly rendered eligible for a starring role in Veronica Hart’s next film production, but you’ll also own one of the only vehicles that might have a chance of running down a Bugatti Veyron.
For Pricing, Specs, and Reviews of the Dodge Viper SRT10, click here for our buyer’s guide.[/align][align=center][align=right]Next page >>[/align][/align]

Old 08-16-2007 | 06:32 AM
|
Old 08-16-2007 | 07:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

drool awesome viper

Quick Reply: ~ Top Speed + Cars + More ~