Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

~ SS History ~

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ~ SS History ~

[align=center]* 2010 Camaro SS on page 8 of this thread[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]~ WoW ~[/align][align=center]
[hr]
[/align][align=center]Super Sport, or SS[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]is an option package offered by Chevrolet on many of its vehicle lines since 1961. Some of the better-known models to bear the SS badge include the Camaro, Chevelle, El Camino, Impala, and Nova. Originally introduced in 1961 as an appearance package for the Impala, it became a high-performance package in 1966.
Until the Impala SS was brought back in 1994, the Super Sport package was only available on two-door passenger cars. Since then, however, the SS package has been used on a variety of GM vehicles, including pickup trucks, four-door sedans, and front wheel drive cars.
Both historically and today, the Super Sport package has typically included high-performance tires, heavy-duty suspension, and increased power, along with a variety of other performance and appearance upgrades. All SS models have come with "SS" markings.
Newer SS models are the Chevrolet Cobalt SS, Chevrolet Impala SS, Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, and the Silverado SS, along with the Trailblazer SS. Current North American-market SS models are tuned by GM Performance Division.
The SS badge is also used by Australian manufacturer Holden on its SS Commodore and SS Utes.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-]Click below links for more information [:-][/align][align=center]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Sport[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]

[/align][align=center]

[hr]

[/align][align=center]

[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]

[hr]

[/align][align=center]

Super Sport Through Time
[i][b]A timeline highlighting the evolution of Chevrolet

Old 03-20-2007, 03:14 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: SS History : )

When I was growing up "SS" ment cool.

It was the car you wished you'd have gotten.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: rj

When I was growing up "SS" ment cool.

It was the car you wished you'd have gotten.
Rj, What does it mean to you Now ?
Do you think Chevy has used & abused the "SS" by using it
on non-performance cars/trucks/golf carts : ) ?
Members, what do you think ?

Old 03-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

golf carts! lmao!!

it is true..they've abused the ss logo on a lot of things that dont deserve it...

i dont think a cobalt should have came with an ss option...yah its nicer than the base one...but i dont think its worthy of the ss title..

but a lot of the vehicles that come with them now still have some nice stuff done to them...monte ss witha supercharged 3.8l engine that will keep up with some of the older ss's ...

ss golf cart!! lmao! still can't get over that! lol

i like this

Old 03-20-2007, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member

Old 03-20-2007, 04:40 PM

not saying that they over used it but that are useing it a bit to much is you ask me its like rj said back in the day SS was the car you wished you would have gotten now in days i am thinking i am not going to spend the extra on the ss pack
because there is not enuf diffrence then the bass model
i mean a 4 doorand FWDSS thats wrong i cant say anything about the 4cyl and 6cyl because the times are changing and the day of the big cube v8 is gone

Old 03-20-2007, 04:57 PM

Yourswere not theSS Model's : ) LOL
[:-]Click Image below [:-]
[IMG]local://upfiles/714/E6B75B734D3C42518E3B097A385A0770.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-20-2007, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member

WHO THINKS GM PUTS THE 'SS' ON TOO MANY OF THEIR CARS??

[sm=alcoholic.gif][sm=alien.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=angrymail.gif][sm=Awwww.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=badidea.gif][sm=bangbang.gif][sm=bicker.gif][sm=bling.gif][sm=boohoo.gif][sm=boosign.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bs.gif][sm=burnout.gif]
[sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=chairshot.gif][sm=chairshot.gif][sm=chairshot.gif][sm=chattypair.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=crossbonesgif.gif][sm=devilangel.gif][sm=devilgrin.gif][sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=drlove.gif][sm=drooldude.gif][sm=exactly.gif][sm=feedback.gif][sm=Flahssssss.gif][sm=forgetit.gif]
[sm=funnypostabove.gif][sm=gears.gif][sm=gobble.gif][sm=goodidea.gif][sm=grin.gif][sm=grinangel.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]
[sm=groupwave.gif][sm=guilty.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif]
[sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=headbang.gif][sm=helpout.gif][sm=hia.gif][sm=hiya.gif][sm=icon_beat.gif][sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif]
[sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif]
[sm=icon_flaming.gif][sm=icon_guiness.gif][sm=icon_ladiesman.gif][sm=icon_quiet.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rtfm.gif][sm=icon_sneaky.gif][sm=icon_stickpoke.gif][sm=idontcare.gif][sm=imsmilin.gif][sm=imsorry.gif][sm=innoc.gif][sm=insomnia.gif][sm=interesting.gif]
[sm=itsok.gif][sm=jawdrop.gif][sm=joke.gif][sm=kiss.gif][sm=kissykissy.gif][sm=lame.gif][sm=laughat.gif][sm=lildevil.gif][sm=lockeddance.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=loser.gif][sm=love.gif][sm=loveeyes.gif][sm=mail.gif][sm=massbounce.gif]
[sm=massbounce.gif][sm=massbounce.gif][sm=morning.gif][sm=nerd.gif][sm=nono.gif][sm=noooo.gif][sm=nothatway.gif][sm=nxsmile.gif][sm=oopssign.gif]
[sm=outcold.gif][sm=owned.gif][sm=partyparty.gif][sm=patriot.gif][sm=pcwhack.gif][sm=pimp.gif][sm=proof.gif][sm=rant.gif][sm=redx.gif][sm=redxX.gif][sm=repost.gif]
[sm=roll.gif][sm=rolleyes.gif][sm=shades.gif][sm=shootshoot.gif][sm=shutup.gif][sm=sick.gif][sm=alcoholic.gif][sm=alien.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=angrymail.gif][sm=Awwww.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=badidea.gif][sm=bangbang.gif][sm=bicker.gif][sm=bling.gif][sm=boohoo.gif][sm=boosign.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bs.gif][sm=burnout.gif]
[sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=chairshot.gif][sm=chairshot.gif][sm=chairshot.gif][sm=chattypair.gif][sm=closed.gif][sm=crossbonesgif.gif][sm=devilangel.gif][sm=devilgrin.gif][sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=drlove.gif][sm=drooldude.gif][sm=exactly.gif][sm=feedback.gif][sm=Flahssssss.gif][sm=forgetit.gif]
[sm=funnypostabove.gif][sm=gears.gif][sm=gobble.gif][sm=goodidea.gif][sm=grin.gif][sm=grinangel.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]
[sm=groupwave.gif][sm=guilty.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif]
[sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=headbang.gif][sm=helpout.gif][sm=hia.gif][sm=hiya.gif][sm=icon_beat.gif][sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif]
[sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif]
[sm=icon_flaming.gif][sm=icon_guiness.gif][sm=icon_ladiesman.gif][sm=icon_quiet.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rtfm.gif][sm=icon_sneaky.gif][sm=icon_stickpoke.gif][sm=idontcare.gif][sm=imsmilin.gif][sm=imsorry.gif][sm=innoc.gif][sm=insomnia.gif][sm=interesting.gif]
[sm=itsok.gif][sm=jawdrop.gif][sm=joke.gif][sm=kiss.gif][sm=kissykissy.gif][sm=lame.gif][sm=laughat.gif][sm=lildevil.gif][sm=lockeddance.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=loser.gif][sm=love.gif][sm=loveeyes.gif][sm=mail.gif][sm=massbounce.gif]
[sm=massbounce.g

Old 03-20-2007, 09:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Chevy Quiz: How many SS's are in excess?

Read article below:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/18/au...yt&emc=rss[*]
[/align]TrailBlazer SS [/align]

By EZRA DYER[/align]
Published: June 18, 2006[/align]
BACK in my high school years, in the early 1990's, my parents had a decrepit Subaru DL wagon. A few days before its date with the junkyard, I customized that rusty Subaru with one of the most revered badges in muscle-car history: "454 SS," rendered in reflective mailbox stickers applied to the front fenders.

Skip to next paragraph

Multimedia

Graphic: The Label Stands for Super Sport, but the Messages Are Mixed
[/align][/align][/align]
[/align]A famed nameplate that works overtime. [/align]
[/align]SSR [/align]
[/align]Cobalt SS sedan [/align]
[/align]Impala SS [/align][/align][/align]
Around the time I created my faux SS, Chevrolet was revitalizing the badge with wicked vehicles like the 454 SS pickup and the Impala SS muscle sedan. Today, nearly every car in the Chevy lineup has an SS version except (mercifully) the Aveo and (strangely) the Corvette. There are also two SS trucks, the TrailBlazer and Silverado. But is this proliferation of all things SS really good for the brand?
When I slapped SS badges on the Subaru, the joke was obvious. Now you can go to your Chevy dealer and buy a four-cylinder, nonsupercharged Cobalt ($17,490), possibly with four doors and an automatic transmission, that wears SS logos. And they're not mailbox stickers.
Most car companies' go-fast divisions employ easy-to-summarize game plans. BMW's M cars are high-revving, high-horsepower technology showcases. Chrysler's SRT vehicles offer extreme performance for the money. The Web site for Cadillac's V-Series — www.cadillacunder5.com — underscores the V-cars' common ability: each of these high-performance Cadillacs can reach 60 miles an hour in less than 5 seconds.
To get people excited about a message, it helps if they can understand it in the first place. But Chevy's SS lineup is an automotive pot-luck dinner: "Hi, Suzy, I brought a V-8-powered front-wheel-drive coupe with Dale Earnhardt Intimidator logos. I hope that's not what you brought!" "No problem. I cooked up a supercharged autocross demon, and Harry baked a four-door hatchback that looks like the second coming of the Chevy Citation X-11."
Unlike Cadillac, Chevy would have a hard time pinning down a theme that could serve as a Web address for the SS lineup. The SS vehicles are fast (the TrailBlazer SS) unless they're not (the Cobalt SS sedan's four-cylinder engine turns out 171 horsepower). They have exclusive engines unavailable in other iterations of the same model (the Impala SS's 5.3-liter V-8), unless they don't (the Silverado SS's 6-liter V-8 can be ordered in lesser Silverados).
The SS lineup is front drive (

Old 03-21-2007, 12:13 PM

Grandpa `Dave, great article....thanks 4 sharing with the members : )
Since you are having `Emblem problems with your LTZ...Maybe you should
put SS Emblems of your Monte ? LOL

Quick Reply: ~ SS History ~