Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

~ Space's next Ride ? : )

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: ~ Space's next Vehicle ~ : (

You can't say that `Space doesn't give you enough
topic's to read when you've read every other post on the
Monte Carlo Forum.
[:-]

Special, Unusual, & Alternative Bikes
TRIKES (TRICYCLES)
Trikes have many advantages over regular bikes: You can stay on the seat when you stop, you can haul massive loads with big trailers much easier, older or nervous riders don't have to worry about tipping over, and riders with only one arm or one hand have a much easier time.
Trikes are usually better than bikes for hauling large loads with a trailer. Many trikes even have a cargo box built in, such as the one in the photo at right.
Web Guides
Workbike.orgis the definitive site for information on carrying loads by human power, all over the world.
BikeRoute.com has a list of recumbent trike makers.
Manufacturers
Human Powered Machines | Largo Scooters (electric trike) | Lightfoot Cycles | Mohawk | Trailmate | Twike | Windcheetah | Workcycles | Worksman[ReBike seems to have fallen off the face of the earth]

[hr]
PEDICABS (Rickshaws)
Pedicabs are giving rides to people, but there's nothing that says you can't use them to move all your belongings across town by bike. There are only a handful of manufacturers and they tend to be quite expensive -- $3000 and up.
Some manufacturers: Bikes at Work, Lightfoot Cycles, INSSA, Main Street Pedicabs, Organic Engines
Other retailers: Bicycle Revolution, Vegas ATV

[hr]
CARGO BIKES
Cargo bikes have special racks or trays to carry large and/or heavy objects. I think that trikes are better for this kind of application because you don't have to try to balance a lot of weight on just two wheels, but cargo bikes are certainly popular among their proponents.
Manufacturers: Bilenky

[hr]
VELOMOBILES
Velomobiles are fully-enclosed recumbent trikes. They're awesome for touring because the fully-faired enclosure reduces wind resistance, allowing them to go very fast, even when hauling extra gear for touring. The downside is that they're very expensive ($5000+), and so far as we know manufactured only in Europe, so shipping to another location adds to the already high cost.
Resources: North American Velomobilist website | [URL=http://www.bentrideronline.com/Buyer's%20Gui

Old 08-28-2007, 07:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i wonder if it comes with 6 speaker surround sound???

Old 08-28-2007, 08:43 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: wiz kidd

i wonder if it comes with 6 speaker surround sound???
Found & posted by the Beach Bums 4 moderator wiz kid
Bicycling sound systems

[/align]
Why should motorists be the only ones with audio entertainment as they travel? Over the years, there have been manufacturers producing bicycle radios, such as those sold by Sunrise Cyclery, Bicycle Revolution, or Active Tunes. Often these include horns or lights. I haven't been very impressed by the sound quality of any of them, plus they take up scarce handlebar space. I also think riding with a high-volume speaker is possibly dangerous and also kind of inconsiderate. Maybe the pedestrians you pass aren't as enthusiastic about Rufus as you might be.

In most states, it is legal to listen to a portable audio device, as long as you use only one ear. There are a number of earphones or earbuds that work with helmet straps, including my favorite, the
Sony MDR-J10headphones. I suggest that you keep your left (traffic side) ear open, to hear approaching traffic, sirens, screaming pedestrians, fast approaching dogs.

Most days I bicycle with my Ipod, having downloaded audio programming from various sources. Some days--say, if there's
a baseball game on during my ride home--I use my Sony SFR-M37V FM/AM/Weather/TV radio (pictured above). Reception is very good, it's durable, lightweight, clips on a belt or fits easily in a pocket, features button lock-out, and is reasonably inexpensive. Don't use the headphones it comes with, shown in the picture. It works with any earbuds or earphones you might already have.

Boogie while you bike!
[/align][/align]

Old 08-28-2007, 11:36 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sweet looking rides.

Say will you need to wear a helmet when you're tooling around on your trike? How about racing gloves?

Is there a heater or A/C add on feature for these?
Fog lights?
Custom exhaust?
Chrome goodies for the engine compartment?
What about aftermarket interiors?

Will there be an extra lane added to most interstates to accomodate the multitude of trikes that people will buy?