Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

~> Smart Splurges for Your Car ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Lightbulb ~> Smart Splurges for Your Car ?

Hi Member's,
How many of the below do you have ?
Do you want ?
Don't want ?

8 Smart Splurges for Your Car ?

We've identified some purchases — for car shoppers and car owners — where the payoff's worth the extra expense.

...Let's see what our Monte Carlo Member's think of your list...
Member's Post your comments/thoughts...or just say `Hi
Please add to the list `if you think there's something they have missed ?

<CITE sizcache="67" sizset="123">By David Muhlbaum of Kiplinger</CITE>
  • More From Kiplinger
Cars are expensive enough, gobbling ever-pricier fuel, but there are times when even automotive skinflints should consider loosening their grip on that dollar. We've identified some purchases — for car shoppers and car owners — where the payoff's worth the extra expense. Don't cheat yourself out of safety or the joy of driving.
Replacement Tires

Click to enlarge picture

Tires are notoriously hard to shop for. They're round! They're black! They have different squiggles on the tread! Many folks just throw up their hands and buy the cheapest thing that can keep their rims off the pavement. Big mistake: Tires are the single most important thing you can purchase to affect the safety, handling and ride of your car.
We can't tell you exactly what the best tires are for your car: That's part of the problem — it varies. You'll need to do some homework, and this tool from online vendor The Tire Rack can help. One tip: As you shop around, don't make the tire's wear rating (how long it lasts) your top priority. Look instead for a top traction and temperature rating. Those indicate how well the tires will stick to wet roads and run at high speed under a heavy load (basically, an indication of the tire's resistance to blowing out). Surely that matters more than getting a few more miles out of your donuts.
Built-In Navigation System

Click to enlarge picture

A built-in navigation system can add thousands to the cost of a new car, and that gives many folks pause, especially if they're already holding a GPS in their hand — their mobile phone. But dealing with a phone as navigation device while driving can be fiddly and dangerous. You wouldn't text while you were driving, right? (Don't answer that.)
The top reason to buy the factory system is safety: not just because navigating with a built-in system is easier, but because it frequently serves as a big screen for a rearview camera. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that nearly 200 people are killed each year in back-over accidents. Also, the screen typically serves as a multifunction display that allows you to control your music, climate, and other aspects of your ride more easily (and easier means safer, thanks to less time with your eyes off the road).
A Nicer Towel

Click to enlarge picture

No, not for you, silly — for the car. For some people, washing the car means taking it to the car wash. For others, it's a driveway ritual involving exotic potions and cotton swabs. And for a lot of us, it's just another chore to squeeze in on the weekend. But you can make that task a whole lot more pleasant, and better for your car, with one of the new microfiber drying cloths. It's a splurge not to use those free old bath towels, but the $10 - $20 you shell out for a few of these will save you time and laundry, and reduce the risk of scratching your paint. A friend swears by Meguiar's Water Magnet Microfiber Drying Towel.
Safety Options

Click to enlarge picture

The federal government has mandated electronic stability control (including antilock brakes and traction control) for all 2012 cars and light trucks. So, that's taken care of. Still, on many cars, there remain options that can enhance your safety. Consider:
  • Blind-spot information systems. Using cameras or radar, these systems let you know if there's something lurking over your shoulder, with a light in or near the mirror — or by beeping if you put on your turn signal. <LI sizcache="67" sizset="145">Collision avoidance systems. There's a car stopping short ahead and you're not paying enough attention (that phone?). But your car is: As the distance closes, it senses that you're running out of time to stop and tightens the seatbelts, makes the brakes more sensitive, pops up any headrests that have been folded down and closes the sunroof -- and warns you with lights and sounds. Some will even go ahead and brake if the situation seems dire enough. These systems are mostly found on high-end luxury cars, but you can add it to one of Kiplinger's 2012 Best in Class picks, the Ford Taurus SHO, as well as the Toyota Sienna minivan.
  • High-intensity discharge xenon headlights. It's rare that these brighter, whiter-burning bulbs aren't part of some other options package, but maybe you should use the safety margin they bring to go ahead and justify the sunroof that comes along with it.
Windshield Wiper Blades

Click to enlarge picture

Most new vehicles feature "beam-type" windshield wiper blades. Owners of older cars can catch up to this technology when it's time to replace wipers, as blade manufacturers such as Trico and Bosch have developed replacement blades that fit your car. Yes, they're pricier, but the extra few dollars spent here will help you keep a better view of the road ahead, with less chance of the blade freezing up in slushy winter driving.
Synthetic Oil

Click to enlarge picture

The argument about how often to change your oil will probably never be settled (we recommend you do whatever the owner's manual says), but the extra cost — roughly one and a half times — of synthetic oil can bring peace of mind to two groups of people: a) the folks who want nothing but the best for their treasured ride and appreciate synthetic's resistance to breaking down at high temperatures and better flow at low ones, and b) the people who can't quite remember to get the car in for an oil change on time. We're not recommending you skip service intervals — particularly if you're under warranty — but if you know you have a problem remembering, synthetic's durability will buy you a margin of safety to avoid engine damage.
If you lease your car, well, don't waste your money — unless the owner's manual specifies a synthetic or you know you're going to buy the car when the lease expires.
Factory-Installed Sound Systems

Click to enlarge picture

It wasn't all that long ago that factory-installed sound systems in all but the fanciest of cars were a sucker's bet, such that even a smidgen of shopping on the aftermarket would provide you better sound for less money. But the pendulum has swung in favor of the carmakers, who have vastly improved your choices and, with more-complex dash designs, made it more difficult and costly to retrofit the cars. Spring for the factory-installed system when you buy the car, and splurge on the higher-cost options to get the best sound from makers such as Bose or Harman-Kardon.
Car Clubs

Click to enlarge picture

Splurge or prudent necessity? We're going with splurge here, because cars have gotten so much more reliable that your chances of getting stranded fall every year. Still, tires go flat, keys get locked in, and sometimes it's farther to the gas station when the low-fuel light's on than you imagined. Think of it as buying peace of mind, and consider yourself lucky — not the loser — if you don't actually use a tow or roadside service. And there are other benefits: The AAA member card, for example, can be presented for discounts off the road, too — deals such as 10% to 20% off car rentals at Hertz, 5% off at Marriott hotels and 10% off at on-line jeweler Blue Nile.

Related Content Bonus from `Space
There one 4 EveryOne
Sorry 4 the question Mark ?
LOL

Now Playing
Up Next

Suit yourself: Best celeb beach bods

Last edited by Space; 05-03-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:58 PM

A couple 'splurges' I always go for: good tires and synthetic oil. I've run Michelin HydroEdge tires on our Monte for a few years. They're great performers wet/dry, run very quiet, and have lasted longer than I expected. The engine has known only synthetic oil since it's first oil change. Cheap insurance for the life of the engine.

I guess I usually go for good wiper blades too, though I don't know exactly what type / brand are installed now. Cheap wiper blades during bad weather are a No-Go.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mine are I use mobil 1, burn premium gas still have the orignal wiper blades... (I never take the Deuce out in bad weather)

As you know I did change the brakes to high performance and new rotors although the old ones where still good but 6 years old

Last edited by Tadcaster; 05-04-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:58 PM

the oil change intervals in the manual for the newer cars are assuming a high quality filter and full synthetic oil in a granny driven environment. I run Amsoil full synthetic 5w30 with a Wix filter and most of the time i dont go as long as the book says.

if you run regular oil it should be changed 3000 miles regardless of color, it has broken down past the point of being able to do its job

synthetics should be around that 5000 mile point depending on driving style.

it's not so much color that matters anymore, it's how fast the friction modifiers break down in the oil, synthetics are far better, but still break down, the color could still be golden or clear when the oil is spent

Old 05-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Only splurge i've made is for Bosch icon wipers, and i must say i dont think i'll ever go back to traditional blades again. Dad got himself a pair too and he loves em. GPS i just have portable units, tires i've got Kelly Chargers, it had 2 of em when i got the car and i just bought another 2 to match. And a sound system i've spent a bit of money for some speaker upgrades and a sub

Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Only splurge i've made is for Bosch icon wipers, and i must say i dont think i'll ever go back to traditional blades again. Dad got himself a pair too and he loves em. GPS i just have portable units, tires i've got Kelly Chargers, it had 2 of em when i got the car and i just bought another 2 to match. And a sound system i've spent a bit of money for some speaker upgrades and a sub

+1 for the icon wipers, they are pretty darn good blades

Old 05-04-2012, 06:49 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks `Member's for your posts & sharing...

I believe that safety items should be a priority...I did not use to think that (I thought performance items were more important)...

Good Tires/Brakes/Suspension/wipers/lights/tuned engine etc.....I'm getting older and hope wiser I as travel this journey called `life