Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

~ The Power of your Words + Net Lingo ~

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ~ The Power of your Words + Net Lingo ~

[align=center]Words. Words. Words.[/align][align=center]"Space-,Shut up, & Listen"[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]As a member of the MCF, I hope that our member's can refrain from[/align][align=center]using their words in their post to hurtother members.[/align][align=center]We have a great automotive forum with great members.[/align][align=center]Lets keep it friendly, and safe for all members.[/align][align=center]If you have a problem with a member, ignore that member, block that [/align][align=center]member, PM that member,or report your problemto our super moderating staff.[/align][align=center]Thanks for reading, and being an active contributing member to our[/align][align=center]Monte Carlo Family.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]They're only words. Some believe the school-yard taunt: "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me." They're wrong. Words can hurt, and cause pain : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Words create impressions, images and expectations. They build psychological connections. They influence how we think. Since thoughts determine actions, there's a powerful connection between the words we use and the results we get. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]The Power of Words
Emotional appeals, fallacies, manipulations, disinformation,
misdirection, propaganda and Political Correctness
[font=verdana][/align][align=center]
[b][size=4] Generally, when people get their own way with others, they do it with words; they want others to agree with their point of view, give them what they want, do what they ask and buy what they are selling. From the car salesman's hard sell, the hammering of TV commercials, the relative's request for a loan, the doctor's diagnosis to the child's pleading to stay up late, the seduction and/or assault of words is continuous.

In these verbal contests between one person's desires and another's, some people find they always lose, convinced they must be wrong, while others consistently win; their logic, their reasons are so powerful, so compelling, they almost force others to change their opinions, their beliefs and their behavior to comply with what's being asked.

This enormous power is in the meaning of the words, what they mean to the person who hears them. Far more than simple communication, truth, falsehood and the infinite shades between them, words have the power to manipulate other people's thinking and behavior. These powers have been defined as fallacious arguments.

There are 20 or so of these misleading and deceptive arguments. Their tremendous power lies in the fact that they elicit emotional responses in those who hear or readthem. While the arguments appear to relate to the subject under d

Old 07-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: ~ The Power of your Words ~

amen to that space very well said

there's been some bashing on here recently, and i really wish that would stop
but at least its not from our regular members, usually their just from new guyz

Old 07-30-2007, 05:15 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

People fail to realize just how hurtful words can be. Sometimes causing a rift that lasts for years or never mends.

Please everyone, let'sconsider other board members feelings before posting.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:15 PM

As a hard-nosed New Yorker, I'm pretty accustomed to getting verbally accosted. Try cutting a taxi line in Manhattan if you want to know the real meaning of abuse!

The internet is an odd dynamic - filled with tons of regular, everyday people. But we also have weirdos, sickos, and what I lovingly call the "Internet tough guys." It's real easy to adopt anobnoxious persona when you're sitting behind a keyboard, removed from reality (and consequences) of interacting face-to-face. Truth is, it only proves one thing - that people can be idiots.

I tend to be a very outspoken individual - between NYC and the US Army - I don't mince words and have a short temper. I'm the kind of person who volunteers at the Special Olympics, teaches 4-H classes, yet I have no patience or tolerance for ignorance.

Despite all my negative attributes (!), I still try to maintain a semblence of civility, especially in places like this where hundreds, sometimes thousands, of people read your words. Those words, and the effects they have on people, will remain long after we're dead and gone. In most instances, it's what people interpret as your base personality. If all I ever see is someone trash-talking or bad-mouthing, then my opinion of that person is pretty well defined.

Space Dude (aka Galaxius Maximus) has hit the nail right on the head. Despite being an FNG on this forum, he went out of his way to make me feel at home and part of the MC family. It's more than cars people...

Rock on dudes (and dudettes).

J

Old 07-31-2007, 01:05 AM

Very Well Said Space. I cannot add a bit to it.
except for "Lets Keep things friendly"

Mike.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:33 AM

[align=center][/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]
Welcome to NetLingo the Internet Dictionary
NetLingo has thousands of definitions that explain the online world of business, technology, and communication. We entertain and educate students, teachers, parents, gamers, designers, techies, bloggers, journalists, and industry professionals worldwide.
Click below link for NetLingo[/align][align=center][:-]
http://www.netlingo.com/[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Check out NetLingo word for `Space Junk : )[/align]

Old 07-31-2007, 08:11 AM

[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]A public meeting place for open discussion[/align][align=center]ofMonte Carlo Enthusiasm : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]http://www.thefreedictionary.com/forum[/align]

Old 07-31-2007, 10:29 AM

Ya know...I'm looking for an part-time editor for the magazine... (seriously).

J

Old 07-31-2007, 12:30 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

One thing about talking with other people on the net is you can't see facial expressions or hear the tone of voice used. So it's easy to mistake something that was actually ment as a joke but you took it as serious. Then the flaming begins.

I have a dry sense of humor people don't get sometimes or they don't realize I'm joking when I said it. Doing this on the net isn't the best either cause like I mentioned it may not be taken as a joke.

But I do treat everyone with respect and try to stay away from heated discussions cause for one thing I have a very bad temper. Once it starts rolling it's like the snow ball that picks up in size and weight as it rolls downhill getting larger all time.

If we all strive to treat one an another as we want to be treated I think our little slice of the web can stay a great placeto come and talk cars and share experiences from our lives.

Quick Reply: ~ The Power of your Words + Net Lingo ~