Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

~> Every New Corvette - Road Test = = = = =

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up ~> Every New Corvette - Road Test = = = = =

Corvette Fever - Road Test

We test every last single solitary new Corvette you can possibly buy. Or at least every version with a 6-speed manual and lots of options…

By Peter Egan / Photos by Brian Blades / Illustrations by Tim Barker
February 28, 2012 post by `Space on March 4, 2012 Thanks R&T

Video >>
PTM in Action >>

<!--/photos-video-wrapper-->
<!-- /Main photo wrapper --><!-- test output end: --><!-- the article, at a glance, downloads, top competitors, from buying guide --><!-- left column -->The subdued 100th Anniversary of Chevrolet decals on the flanks of our Corvette test cars caused a little confusion for one high school kid at a gas station in Nevada. He said, “They’ve been making Corvettes for 100 years? No way!”

Video window may take a few moments to load...<CENTER></CENTER>
No way, indeed, Jimmy. But they have been making Corvettes for 59 years, which might as well be 100 if you’re still in your teens.
I was in first grade when the 1953 Corvette was introduced, and our local Chevy dealer had a contest in which one lucky child would win a 1953 Corvette pedal-car. It was won by a kindergartner named Bobby Bernard, who got to pedal the little fiberglass car through every classroom during our morning milk break. We were all green with envy as we slurped chocolate milk from small glass bottles through our tiny straws.

2012 Chevrolet Corvettes

For many of us, that covetousness for a new Corvette has waxed and waned over the years, depending upon the vagaries of design, build quality and federal emissions laws. It hit a peak during the 1963–1967 Sting Ray years, dropped off during the late ’70s low-horsepower/plastic bumper era, and has really been picking up steam ever since the early ’80s. That’s when horsepower, handling and build quality began an inexorable climb back toward parity with—or superiority to—the world’s fastest and best-handling sports cars.

2012 Chevrolet Corvettes

And happily, here in 2012, the Corvette sits comfortably in the front row of that class, coming to us in four ascending levels of price and performance. We have (1) the 6.2-liter 430-bhp “base” model in both coupe and convertible form, starting at $49,525; (2) the Grand Sport—also available as a convertible or coupe—with the same powertrain but a wider chassis and tires, with sportier handling, base price $55,925; (3) the $75,525 Z06 coupe, whose 7.0-liter naturally aspirated engine cranks out 505 bhp; and (4) the $111,525 ZR1, with its unearthly supercharged 6.2-liter engine making 638 bhp.
The burning question for every potential Corvette owner, of course, is, “Which one is right for me?” Does a person get more by paying more, or are there cases (yes, even with a Corvette) where less is more? Can you drive the upper-level ZR1 and Z06 on vacation, or are they stiffly sprung, track-day-only cars? Is the base model adequate for normal humans?

2012 Chevrolet Corvettes

To find out, we spent three days on Interstates and mountain roads, and a full day of lapping and testing at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Pahrump, Nevada. For comparative lap times, we employed the services of none other than Tommy Milner, the 25-year-old hot-shoe who won the Le Mans GTE Pro class this year, driving a Pratt & Miller-­prepared C6.R Corvette with his co-drivers Olivier Beretta and Antonio Garcia. (Pratt & Miller, as you’ll see, also brought the C6.R to our test.)
Chevrolet didn’t want Tommy doing timed hot laps in the base and GS convertibles for safety reasons, so they also lent us coupe versions of both cars. Thus equipped with all six iterations of the current Corvette lineup, we headed off for Nevada. Our insights, opinions and scientific findings follow:
...Continued...
<!-- right column --><!-- at a glance -->

<!-- from the buying guide -->Downloads:
<!-- /at a glance --><!-- car make:Chevrolet Car Buying Guide- RoadandTrack.com has Chevrolet Car Buying Tools \nmake state: published \ncar model:Chevrolet Corvette Car Buying Guide- Get a Quote on the Chevrolet Corvette at RoadandTrack.com- Car Buying \nmodel state: published \nshowlink model: \nrelated_items count: 5-->TOP COMPETITORSChevrolet Corvette »

» Overview<!-- » User Ratings -->» Photos & 360° View» Specs» Prices w/Options<!-- » Get Quote -->
Corvette Fever:

<TABLE border=0 width=186><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Video: Ultimate Corvette Comparison Test »</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Video: How it Works: Corvette ZR1 Performance Traction Management in Action »</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Video: Corvette Drag Race »</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Inside this Road Test:

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Corvette Fever »

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Photos »</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>2012 Chevrolet Corvette:
Road Test »
Photos »

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>2012 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport:
Road Test »
Photos »

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6:
Road Test »
Photos »

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1:
Road Test »
Photos »

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Corvette Comparison Verdict »</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Lapping Analysis: Spring Mountain Race Track »</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Performance Traction Management: How it Works »</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>The Le Mans-Winning Corvette C6.R »</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- /rt-col -->
<!-- tags, pager --><!-- Pager -->
<!-- /article-pager-wrapper -->Pages: 1 234567Photos
Corvette Fever ? The Ultimate Chevy Corvette Comparison Test ? RoadandTrack.com
Source Link above EnJoy 4-Sure

Last edited by Space; 03-04-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:02 AM

thats a great video. i always loved vettes. i was alil shocked they picked the z06 as the best but i understand why. they definately looked mean.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 AM

Hi `Jay,
For the $'s, I also think the Z06 is the best bang 4 the $'s, but `if I won the LOTTO, it would be a ZR`1 4 Sure + a ZL`1 to play with 2 ~> LOL
Really, I'd just be happy to be able to drive anyone of the Vette's in this test 4-Sure....The vid's are great & I liked that Road & Track did this test Thanks 4 your posts & contributions 2 the MCF

Old 03-04-2012, 09:54 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Meh id take a viper over the vette now a days, i feel there losing touch with what the vette was supposed to be an afffordable sports car but with prices close to 70k for a base & over 100 for loaded Z06 & ZR1 its outta reach for most ppl

Old 03-04-2012, 12:04 PM

Hi Mike, no the prices aren't that high, ~> $70K yet Substrat about $20K + from that!!!
I just know that I can't afford anyone of them now, but they are a great dream & I dream all the time day & night dreams 4-Sure

Base Price for a 2012 is $49,600
2012 Chevy Corvette | Sports Cars | Chevrolet
Click above for the rest $ + more

Old 03-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Yeah the starting price is 49 but no one will buy one without headsup display & all that soo youll be up to 60, there no longer the everyday mans affordable sports car like they used to be

Old 03-04-2012, 12:47 PM

Hi Mike, from my research of the History of the Corvette, a new corvette has never been a everyday man's affordable sports car....Inflation & technology has increased the price over the years 4-Sure...But, that is what the used Corvette's are for (When the prices and years pass, the everyday man might be able to afford his dream Corvette)? The majority of Corvettes I see are men/ladies over 50+ & not young'in like us (unless U R a RICH KID)....LOL >I'm Not one

I will keep working & dreaming....Maybe someday ?
"When I wish upon a Star in Space" I wish I may, I wish I might ~> LOL get a Corvette someday or SomeNight " ~> I get & drive Corvettes all the time in my dreams & I drive the heck outa them ~> LOL 4-Sure...(No payments either) I just have to change my sheets after my dreams" LOL..I always seem to spill my bottle of water ~> LOL~> I speed shift a lot ~> LOL...I love stick shift 4-Sure over auto's...

Last edited by Space; 03-04-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 AM

More Corvette Dreams & Movie's + More = = = = = Click Below & EnJoy

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>MotorWeek Road Test: 2010 Corvette Grand Sport - YouTube <~ Click 2 view test+ there's many other tests of Corvette's on above UTube Page ~> EnJoy & Remember "Dreams R `Free"

<TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top width=1>
► 5:55► 5:55

<TD style="PADDING-TOP: 1px" vAlign=top><CITE class=kv>www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3_69vYXgwg</CITE>Mar 29, 2010 - 6 min - Uploaded by Motorweek
You need Adobe Flash Player to watch this video. Download it from Adobe. Alert icon. Upgrade to the latest ...

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

More videos for corvette road tests »

<LI class=g>2011 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Carbon vs. 2010 Corvette Grand Sport ... <~ Click (Fun Vid 4-Sure) I'm take the yellow one ~> LOL

<CITE>www.insideline.com/.../corvette/.../2002-chevrolet-corvette-z06-vs-2...</CITE>Jun 21, 2010 – Corvettemegeddon Comparison Test Video. Edmunds Inside Line Road Test Editor Chris Walton drives three Corvettes -- the 2011 Z06 ...

================================================== ==========================

<LI class=g>2011 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. 2011 Ford Shelby GT500 vs. 2012 ... <~ Super Test by Motor Trend..Vid is on article page top right...Make full screen/buckle `up & turn up your speaker's...Which one do you want ? ~> I want'em `all ~> LOL

<CITE>New Cars, Car Reviews & Prices, Used Cars for Sale, & Auto Shows at Motor Trend Magazineroadtests/...corvette.../viewall.html</CITE>
If you can neither afford a six-figure supercar, nor care much about hitting 250 on the speedo, here are a handful of everyday exotics that don't command ...

Last edited by Space; 03-05-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:31 AM

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top rowSpan=2 width=125 align=center>
View Ad

</TD><TD rowSpan=2 width=10></TD><TD class=txt8 bgColor=#efefef height=20>Ad# 37532 - View this 2007 Corvette</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>2007 Corvette Coupe

$34900 -

Title: 2007 Silver Coupe-***12,000 Miles***
Exterior: Silver - Interior: Black
Engine: 6.0 Liter
Roger's Corvette Center has 57 Corvettes for sale Florida

Click above link to check out some Used Corvettes
in Florida...Above is just one example with super low
miles at a decent price ?
Below is a ZR`1 for under $33K <~> LOL WoW

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top rowSpan=2 width=125 align=center>
View Ad
</TD><TD rowSpan=2 width=10></TD><TD class=txt8 bgColor=#efefef height=20>Ad# 37685 - View this 1994 Corvette</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>1994 Corvette Coupe
$32900 -
Title: 1994 White ZR-1 ***14,000 Miles***
Exterior: White - Interior: Black
Engine: 350 - Transmission: Six Speed

Last edited by Space; 03-05-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 AM

Hi Member's, posted the below vid on our `Blog 3/6/12, but if you don't visit our MCF `Blog, I've posted it below...
(I love this short vid by Chevy on the ZR`1)
Corvette ZR1 Centennial Edition video--the burnout as `Art

Chevrolet Corvette - Pin a Ribbon on Vimeo

Click above Chevy Corvette 2 view 1:17 sec vid of ZR`1 burn-`Out `Art

WoW ~ EnJoy