Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

~> Built to Last ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:47 PM

I don't put any faith in the reports of JD Power, Consumer Reports, and Consumer Guide. They are biased toward the imports and have been for years. They reported that the Dodge Aspen, Plymouth Volare, and Dodge Diplomat was all junk. My Diplomat I got 250,000 miles out of and would have gotten more if I didn't make it my daughters main form of transportation. She refused to maintain it but by the time I took it back the damage had been done. The PT Cruiser they rated as a best buy and it is one of the worst cars I ever owner. They didn't stop recommending it until it didn't have side airbags like other cars in the same segment.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by zenloser
I see things kinda the same.I have never seen a 70's any thing FWD an imported.The only import I see around here from the 70's or older is a rarely seen Datson.
Not to bash imports but most cars in the last two decades really haven't been made to last much more than 5-10 years.This is for all makes From what I seen.Mind you I live in New York an this state seens to be the hardest on cars.
To give you an idea of how hard NY winters are.I work at a Toyota dealer as the frame replacement guy.These trucks have rotted out so bad I can put my hand through one frame rail an not touch any thing made of metal.These trucks are only 9-11 years old.
I lived in the Champlain Valley which is north west Vermont (Burlington and Milton) and the frames on cars and trucks were toast in as little as five years. The Fwd cars were the worst with the full frame import trucks next with buckleing frames in six to seven years. The full frame domestic cars and trucks didn't have frames issues with the excepti
on of 78-88 G-body GM cars (sorry guys). The frames on these broke anywhere from the rear bumper mount to at the center of the rear axel. The rest of the full frame cars and trucks had sheet metal decay.
Here in Florida I don't see many Datsuns but do see a lot of rear wheel drive Toyota cars. Mostly Corolla's and Starlets.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:32 PM

honda is garbage but that just what i think

Old 12-06-2011, 02:33 PM

i thought u ment more of like if u crash its going stay there not like some were u smash and all done