Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

`Thursday, MCF MEMEBER's BLOG: August 6, 2009 : )

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow `Thursday, MCF MEMEBER's BLOG: August 6, 2009 : )

Above MCF logo by Moderator J.J. Thank You!

MCF ToDay
Thursday, August 6, 2009

Monte Carlo Friends

From all around Planet Earth
`Off Topic
For Every Member to Post
and make new Monte `Friends

What are you doing Today
* Members, tell us about yourself, your hobbie's/pets/kids,
best foods, vacation spot, clean jokes, pictures
of your boat, bike, other cars, truck's etc.

* Make a post & say`Hi
Don't be `Shy
Become part of our
Monte Carlo Family.

Please don't hurt with your words/post

`Thank You!

The MCF is a Stress Free Zone

Winner's own & drive a
Chevrolet Monte Carlo

4-Sure
August 2009
Monte of the Month
`Winner

Last edited by Space; 08-06-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:59 AM
Talking

Hi Member's,
Are you making your plans for your weekend ?
What are you going to do ?
So much 2 `do, so little time : )
How comes `off time goes faster then work time ?
Wish you fun times, EnJoy your `Journey no matter
what you `do, or where you `go
What are you doing in your own Space Today ?
Space Subject 2day
is

Speeding Stars Confirm Bizarre Nature of Faraway Galaxies

AP –Aboves images provided by NASA & `KidSpace ~ Pic's made by the Spitzer Space Telescope
when the kid was in OuterSpace on his last Monte Carlo Mission : )

SPACE.com
staff Writer
space.com – Wed Aug 5, 1:16 pm ET
Stars in a distant galaxy move at stunning speeds — greater than 1 million mph, astronomers have revealed. WoW

These hyperactive stars move at about twice the speed of our sun through the Milky Way,

because their host galaxy is very massive, yet

strangely compact. The scene, which has theorists baffled, is 11 billion light-years away. It is the first time motions of individual stars have been measured in a galaxy so distant.

While the stars' swiftness is notable, stars in other galaxies have been observed to travel at similarly high speeds. In those situations, it was usually because they were interlopers from outside, or circling close to a black hole.

But in this case, the stars' high velocities help astronomers confirm that the galaxy they belong to really is as massive as earlier data suggested.

KidSpace is Bizarre, indeed
The compact nature of this and similar galaxies in the faraway early universe is puzzling to scientists, who don't yet understand why some young, massive galaxies are about five times smaller than their counterparts today.

"A lot of people were thinking we had overestimated these masses in the past," said Yale University astronomer Pieter van Dokkum, leader of the new study. "But this confirms they are extremely massive for their size. These galaxies are indeed as bizarre as we thought they were."

Scientists used the new velocity measurements, conducted with the Gemini South telescope in Chile and the Hubble Space Telescope, to test the mass of a galaxy identified as 1255-0. The same way that the sun's gravity determines the orbiting speed of the Earth, the galaxy's gravity, and thus its mass, determines the velocities of the stars inside it.

The researchers found that indeed, the galaxy is exceptionally dense.

Given its distance of 11 billion light-years, galaxy 1255-0 is seen as it existed 11 billion years ago, less than 3 billion years after the theoretical Big Bang. Among other galaxies we can observe from this time period, about 30 to 40 percent are compact like this one. But in the modern, nearby universe, astronomers don't find anything similar.

Something wrong? 4-Sure
Somehow, high-mass galaxies from the young universe grow in size but not in mass – they spread out but maintain their overall heft – to become the high-mass galaxies we see today.

"It's a bit of a puzzle," KidSpace told SPACE.com. "We think these galaxies must grow through collisions with other galaxies. The weird thing is that these mergers must lead to galaxies that are larger in size but not much more massive. We need a mechanism that grows them in size but not in mass."

So far, such a mechanism is elusive, but astronomers have some ideas. Perhaps these galaxies expand their girth by merging with many small, low-mass galaxies. Or maybe these galaxies eventually become the dense central regions of even larger galaxies.

"It could also still be that we are doing something wrong," kid said. "But I think at the moment you could say that the ball is somewhat in the court of the theorists. Hopefully they can come up with some kind of explanation that we can test further."
SPACE.com offers rich and compelling content about space science, travel and exploration as well as astronomy, technology, business news and more. The site boasts a variety of popular features including our space image of the day and other space pictures,space videos, Top 10s, Trivia, podcasts and Amazing Images submitted by our users. Join our community, sign up for our free newsletters and register for our RSS Feeds today! Isn't it amaz'in what a member can

learn on the MCF lol
I think we should take care of Planet Earth, B-4 we go
in2 `Space & mess it all up 2 lol
You can't believe how much SpaceJunk is floating around
above you in `Space : ) I'm think'in about naming a
Planet `Monte Carlo SS Planet

EnJoy your `Space on Planet `Earth,

Don't let anyone take your `Space Away !
EveryOne needs their own `Space
4-Sure ~ EnJoy

Last edited by Space; 08-06-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Anyone want to go to work for me today. Ive been told some of the best roads are only a few hundred miles away haha. Space you hear of the black hills? Has anyone been to them??

Old 08-06-2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Anyone want to go to work for me today. Ive been told some of the best roads are only a few hundred miles away haha. Space you hear of the black hills? Has anyone been to them??

Hi `Brock, if I just didn't get off a 10 hour night shift,
I'd go 2 work 4 U 4 Sure...
I would luv 2 drive through all the Black Hills States 4-Sure
That would be SuperSuper`Fun

Last edited by Space; 08-06-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

mornin all ... uneventfull trip to work this morning.... nothing new on my world... my mother is officially done with cemo and is off half the rest of the drugs they had her on.... so things are good

Old 08-06-2009, 08:03 AM

..Justin, great 2 read the good news on your Mother.
"Safe trips R always the Best Trips" Wish U a great day : )

Old 08-06-2009, 08:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey everyone. Just got into work about an hour ago. Made my way through some emails.

Justin it's good to hear about your mom! I wish you guys the best of luck, eventhough some of the hard part is over.

Weekends weekend weekend... I'm heading up to the Poconos to see my parents. Also doing an oil change and putting in my 180° thermo while I'm there.

Hope everyone is having a good day so far!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:59 AM

I'm at work right now, but when I get home all the garage doors will be open,
Bad Company CD will be on, cold beers in da fridge... Gonna get the new 502 & Turbo
400 bolted into Grandma's '68 Biscayne post... Hopefully this weekend I'll get 'er
fired up! Hope the 10 bolt will hold up till I can afford a Posi...

-Mark.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:02 AM

..Morn'in `Mike, wish U a safe/fun trip to see your parents in the Pocono's. What oil/filter do you use ? How often do you change it ?
I'm way/way behind in answering my emails...It can become a major task sometimes....I also do my grandfathers emails & he has many friends that always want a update. I have to stop play'in so much on the MCF......Where's `Jamie Lynn ?

Wish U a super day....

Old 08-06-2009, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by MarkIV396
I'm at work right now, but when I get home all the garage doors will be open,
Bad Company CD will be on, cold beers in da fridge... Gonna get the new 502 & Turbo
400 bolted into Grandma's '68 Biscayne post... Hopefully this weekend I'll get 'er
fired up! Hope the 10 bolt will hold up till I can afford a Posi...

-Mark.

`Mark, Pictures/vid's please...That would be AweSome 2 C ~> Hear
Good Luck & Keep us updated `ok : )

Quick Reply: `Thursday, MCF MEMEBER's BLOG: August 6, 2009 : )