Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

`New SpaceRacer ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question `New SpaceRacer ? ? ?

Radical Racer for Human Space Travel WoW

Is the DeltaWing Concept the new face of IndyCar racing?

By Kirk Bell of MSN Autos

Click to enlarge picture
DeltaWing IndyCar Concept

Chicago Auto Show Once upon a time, the Indianapolis 500 was the most popular race in the United States. By extension, IndyCar racing was America's most popular form of motorsport. That's not the case anymore. In the mid-1990s, while NASCAR was growing in popularity, open-wheel racing self-destructed by splitting up into the CART and the Indy Racing League (IRL) series. Open-wheel racing has since regrouped under the IRL banner, but the series could still use a boost.
In an effort to give it just that, the IRL challenged developers to come up with an all-new chassis design for the 2012 model year. The IRL gave some parameters involving safety and performance, but it also wanted to lower costs for team owners and employ smaller engines with better fuel economy to be more environmentally friendly.
See more pictures of the DeltaWing concept
Four companies responded to the challenge. Here at the 2010 Chicago Auto Show, DeltaWing LLC of Indianapolis unveiled its DeltaWing Indy Concept, a radical race car that combines elements of dragster and previous IndyCar designs with the look of a superhero-style crime cruiser. "We started with a clean-sheet approach for what our vision could be, for not only the next-generation IndyCar but what was the next-generation business model that really propels open-wheel into the future," Bill Lafontaine, DeltaWing's chief marketing officer, says of the new IRL prototype.
The DeltaWing Concept's stunning design lacks a front spoiler and replaces the rear spoiler with an airplane-type tail fin. The front track (the distance between the front wheels) is only 24 inches, while the rear track is stretched to 70 inches. All four wheels are skinnier than the current model's, and the fronts are far thinner. The design puts 72.5 percent of the weight on the rear wheels, which the company says makes for excellent rear traction coming out of corners for the specially developed Firestone Firehawk tires.
Designed for optimal aerodynamic efficiency, the DeltaWing Concept has a slippery 0.24 coefficient of drag. According to Lafontaine, the design would create much less disruptive air flowing over cars behind, allowing for more exciting passes.
DeltaWing also developed the car to meet the IRL's "green" requirements. To be built from carbon fiber, the car would weigh only 1,000 pounds with the driver, about half as much as the current cars. It would also use a smaller engine to achieve the same performance, likely a turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine, instead of the current 650-horsepower 3.5-liter V8. The company says the DeltaWing would get better than double the fuel mileage of the current cars. "As the whole automotive industry looks at efficiencies and green, motorsports needs to move in that direction," Lafontaine says.
Performance would not be affected. The company claims a top speed of 230-235 mph with the 2.0-liter engine. The chassis is designed to accept an engine from any manufacturer, though the prototype, due by August, will use an engine from AER Manufacturing.
Cost to racing teams is another important factor. Lafontaine says the DeltaWing would cost about $600,000, which is about half of the cost of the current cars. Making racing more affordable could lead to more teams getting involved, which would only enhance the competition.
In addition to DeltaWing, Dallara Automobili (maker of the current IndyCar chassis), Swift Engineering and Lola are submitting chassis proposals. Dallara and Swift have already shown renderings, but the DeltaWing is the first full-size mockup. Should the DeltaWing be picked, those companies and others could be tabbed to build the cars, because DeltaWing LLC sees itself as a technology developer, not a constructor.
The IRL plans to choose its next chassis sometime this summer. No matter what chassis is chosen, IRL racing should be greener, cheaper for race teams and more exciting for fans. That sounds just like the formula the IRL needs.
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...mentid=1129819
Source Link Above

Member's what do you think of above ?
Let us know & please send all donations $'s
to Outer`Space 4 his RaceRid'in Dream

Old 02-22-2010, 11:34 AM

Please support our MCF Sponsor's 4-Sure
Click their links & let them know we appreciate
their SponsorShip

I think we could make it Streetable lol

Attached Thumbnails `New SpaceRacer ? ? ?-%60mcf-racecar.jpg  

Last edited by Space; 02-22-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:17 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It looks a bit like Speed Racer. I'll keep my Monte Carlo and my Torino!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Default Remember SSP's ?

Wow Space ! When I first looked at that; I thought of one car
or actually a toy car line that Kenner Toys put out in the early 70's.
Does anyone remember SSP's ?

I had several of these cars and now they are highly saught after.
Just found a "Superbird" SSP on a toy collector web site for
over $80.00.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

that is pretty cool Richard, I never had any, atleast I can't remember that far back!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Default ssp's

Yeah, they were pretty neat. I had the demolition derby set also.
They would actually go pretty fast for what they are. The car that
Kid Space has shown makes me wonder if a designer reached back
into the history books to design it ?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Great looking ride Space. It's you dude! Go for it!

2 dare 2 dream! ~4sure~

Old 02-24-2010, 10:41 AM

hay space why did you give up that ride how can you have more fun now exept with the monty ship you have

Old 02-24-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
It looks a bit like Speed Racer. I'll keep my Monte Carlo and my Torino!

Lol Cowboy `Duane, That's `ok Keep your Monte & Torino,
I understand....Not everyone would want a SpaceRacer 4-Sure
I'll just go `Beep-Beep as I fly by your machines

Coming to a Street `Track in your `Future 4-Sure

Below is a link for better pictures of this
SpaceCraft for the Streets
2012 Indy Car Replacement
http://www.motorauthority.com/pictur...ry-1#100306147

Attached Thumbnails `New SpaceRacer ? ? ?-%60spaceracer.jpg  

Last edited by Space; 02-24-2010 at 02:21 PM.