Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= Why I admire NASCAR's `Jeff Gordon =

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up = Why I admire NASCAR's `Jeff Gordon =

Below is one Major Reason
It's great to read news like this & I hope it's a good example
for others that are blessed with success & the rewards
they are bestowed in their life.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Jeff Gordon is celebrated beside Heisman Trophy winners George Rogers (left), Tim Brown and trustee Jim Corcoran. (Getty)
Gordon scores touchdown for philanthropy

Hendrick Motorsports star given Heisman Humanitarian Award for foundation

By Seth Livingstone, Special to NASCAR.COM
August 03, 2012 6:02 PM, EDT

LONG POND, Pa. -- When it comes to carrying the ball for charity, four-time NASCAR champion Jeff Gordon has few peers.
Friday, with the Heisman Trophy -- college football's signature award of excellence -- on display at Pocono Raceway, the Heisman Foundation recognized Gordon's commitment to philanthropy, naming him the seventh winner of the Heisman Humanitarian Award.
"Like the Heisman Trophy itself, Jeff Gordon has created a legacy of excellence both on the field of competition and for the greater good of society," said Heisman Trust spokesman Jim Corcoran, citing more than $11 million the Jeff Gordon Children's Foundation has raised for childhood cancer initiatives, both in the U.S. and Rwanda.

Elite company

Tim Brown, Jim Corcoran and George Rogers announce Jeff Gordon as the 2012 Heisman Humanitarian Award recipient.
Watch

"The Trust's decision to honor Jeff was very easy. Jeff and his foundation's tireless efforts to fund pediatric medical research, programs that improve patients' quality of life and treatment programs that increase survivorship will undoubtedly bring us closer to a cure [for cancer]. "
Gordon expressed gratitude, not only for the award and the $50,000 donation to his charity which comes with it, but for his unique opportunity to give back as one of his sport's most recognizable personalities.
"We work so hard out here to try to win and yet, 10, 15 years from now what it is all going to mean?" said Gordon, who established his foundation after his crew chief Ray Evernham's son was diagnosed with leukemia in 1992. "These trophies are nice, but they tarnish. But when you save a child's life and you have something as meaningful as this [award], those are things that stick with you a lifetime.
"You always want your efforts to be recognized. This is a very, very proud moment for that. It doesn't get any better than being recognized by excellence, which is what the Heisman is all about."
Gordon's Sprint Cup Chevrolet is sponsored by AARP's Drive to End Hunger (a program that has donated more than 12.9 million meals for people over the age of 50). But, for all his philanthropic efforts, Gordon said his regret is that he can't do more.
"I struggle with this on a day-to-day basis," he said. "I've got two children and a wife and a trip to Rwanda on an 'off' weekend is not an easy thing to pull off.
"You want to do it all. I do the best that I can and I sleep good at night knowing that I'm doing the best that I can in trying to balance it all out. [That goes] from my focus on racing and doing my job here, to being a good dad, but also giving back as much as I can -- especially to my foundation which [funds] pediatric cancer research.
"We're seeing a lot more success. The cure rate on the majority of cancers has gone very high. But you still see so many kids suffering and dying and it just doesn't need to happen."
Gordon, who turns 41 on Saturday, said his charity work gives him something to look forward to once his career as a driver ends.
"I do look forward to that day when I really feel like I'll be able to dedicate myself that way and put a lot more time into [philanthropy]," he said.
Gordon was flanked at the NASCAR podium by Heisman Trophy winners George Rogers (1980, South Carolina) and Tim Brown (1987, Notre Dame).
"I haven't been your size since high school," Rogers, a beefy running back, said humorously to Gordon.
Brown joked that Gordon was now a Heisman "fraternity brother."
"I've got to teach him the secret handshake and he's going to be OK," Brown said.
Jimmie Johnson, himself a prolific contributor to children's charities, tipped his cap to his Hendrick Motorsports teammate.
"Fund-raising and charitable work is only as successful as the name who's behind it -- and that's Jeff," Johnson said. "I'm very happy for him. That's an amazing honor. I think he's extremely deserving for the effort he and his (foundation) have put in place to make the right decisions to raise money."
Heisman Trophy Trust president William J. Dockery also lauded Gordon's efforts in a news release.
"NASCAR fans know Jeff Gordon as one of the greatest drivers in the history of stock-car racing," Dockery said. "But to a multitude of children and families facing pediatric cancer, he is something far greater: an ally in their battle to live. Jeff's selfless actions through the Jeff Gordon Children's Foundation exemplify all the attributes we look for in a Heisman Humanitarian honoree."
Gordon is the first award recipient from the world of motorsports. Previous honorees have included three NFL stars (Warrick Dunn, Marty Lyons and George Martin), soccer standout Mia Hamm, NHL Hall of Famer Pat LaFontaine and Olympic gold medalist Joey Cheek (water polo).
Gordon will be formally recognized at the 78th annual Heisman Memorial Trophy Dinner in New York on Dec. 10. Tickets for the event, the only one during Heisman Weekend that is open to the public, are available for purchase at Heisman Trophy.

Related:
Gordon to receive Heisman Humanitarian Award
Gordon hoping speed can make up for bad luck
Gordon's positive outlook helps 24 team see hope

<IFRAME style="WIDTH: 1px; DISPLAY: none; HEIGHT: 1px" id=ob_iframe src="http://widgets.outbrain.com/nanoWidget/3rd/comScore/comScore.htm"></IFRAME>

<WBR><STYLE type=text/css>.voterDiv .ob_bctrl{display:none;}.ob_pdesc IMG{border:none;}.AR_1 .ob_what{text-align:right;clear:both;}.AR_1 .ob_clear{clear:both;}.AR_1 .odb_li{list-style-type:none;}.OUTBRAIN {text-align: left; padding-top: 20px;}.OUTBRAIN .AR_1 .ob_org_header {padding: 0px; font-size: 12px; font-weight: bold; margin-left: -3px;}.OUTBRAIN .AR_1 .rec-link {font: bold 12px arial,Helvetica,Utkal,sans-serif; color: #990000;}.OUTBRAIN .AR_1 .odb_li { color: black; font-size: 8px; list-style-type: disc; padding-bottom: 10px;}.OUTBRAIN .AR_1 ul {padding-left: 12px; padding-top: 10px !important;}.OUTBRAIN .AR_1 .ob_what a {font-size: 12px;}.OUTBRAIN .AR_1 .rec-src-link {display: none;} img.textual-video-img {display: inline !important;} </STYLE>We Recommend

Last edited by Space; 08-05-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:14 PM

YES. EXACTLY. From the youngest of ages he has been my favorite driver. I follow all of his activities through his social media on his humanitarian efforts. #24 for life.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:01 PM

You might like this. only 5800 miles. Check it out -
Chevrolet : Monte Carlo SS MONTE CARLO in Chevrolet | eBay Motors

Old 08-05-2012, 02:22 PM

Hi `Joe,
Thanks for your post & link, and I'm sure there are many member's that would love to own that Jeff Gordon Edition Monte Carlo.

To me it's not something I would want to drive on the street with all those racing decals etc. I believe they belong only on race cars on a track. I'm sure it would get a lot of attention, but it does not have the power to go with the theme of the car... in my opinion. I think it would be great for a business owner to promote a business, or a collector that has lots of cash.

I'd be happy with one like yours with the subtle #3 to denote that it's a special limited edition Dale Sr Monte Carlo S.S.

p.s. I'd like to have that Monte with all the decal's `off of it..
============================================
`Tyler, thanks for your words on Jeff Gordon & yes he is a good man to look `up to 4-Sure He's made some mistakes, but that just proves he is a human being....being `Human.
I wish I had his great talents & be racing 4 a living...

Last edited by Space; 08-05-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes, Jeff Gordon does do some great things for charity. Many of the top drivers do.

Here's one reason why I like Dale Jr. His rarely seen girlfriend.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
Yes, Jeff Gordon does do some great things for charity. Many of the top drivers do.

She's rarely seen because he rarely wins!

Old 08-05-2012, 06:02 PM

nice to hear something positive

Old 08-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Taz

Hello `Lou, I know I just awoke from my 2nd recharge of the day, but I don't understand The reason why you like Dale Jr is because of his rarely seen girlfriend I'm confuzed again LOL
========================================
I agree that many of the top drivers do many things for charities, but I don't think any of them have been awarded or has been a winner of the Heisman Humanitarian Award.(I will reread this thread 2morrow when I get back online)

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
She's rarely seen because he rarely wins!

Hey `Tyler, Dale `Jr may not have won 2 many races this season, but he is presently #1 in NASCAR point standing
==========================================
Hi Griz, yes it's great to read positive news about role models 4-Sure...
I think `Jeff Gordon, by doing good things for others was rewarded 2day from the Heavens & Mother Nature with his declared Win @ Pocono's....Congrat's `Jeff

Last edited by Space; 08-05-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space
Hello `Lou, I know I just awoke from my 2nd recharge of the day, but I don't understand The reason why you like Dale Jr is because of his rarely seen girlfriend I'm confuzed again LOL
It was a joke Space.

Bottom line: Jeff Gordon and many other drivers get involved with great causes, and work with charities.
The Dale Earnhardt Foundation is another example.

It's nice to see these guys giving back.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Rarely seen because she's had death threats in the past. But today was the 2nd time I saw her and the 1st time they should them kissing before he climbs into his car. I think she has protection when she at the tracks. Not that he can't afford it.

Quick Reply: = Why I admire NASCAR's `Jeff Gordon =