Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= Can you Beat `it ? = = = = =

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile = Can you Beat `it ? = = = = =

Hi Member's,
Can you outrun the below Police Cars...?
We don't condone out running the Police, but below
is Fords contributions to catching the violators of the law.
I hope it won't be anyone of our member's that are caught..
But, no one on the MCF speeeeeeeeeds LOL

First Drive Review

arrow<HGROUP>2012 Ford Police Interceptor / Interceptor Utility

The Crown Vic is dead: We drive its replacements.

</HGROUP></HEADER>From New York to New Orleans, cops and cabbies have more in common than a Plexiglas divider behind them: A fierce loyalty to primitive but durable rear-drive guzzlers.
But whether the cars are yellow or black-and-white, both types of drivers are seeing their loyalty tested by the forced retirement of pig iron—no pun intended, officer—like Ford’s Crown Victoria, which still holds 70 percent of the nation’s police-car market.
Now, both despite and because of their modern construction, fuel-saving V-6 engines, and standard all-wheel-drive, Ford hopes its new Police Interceptor Sedan and Utility will become leading suspects in police lineups nationwide. At Citi Field ballpark in Queens, Ford gave lead-footed auto writers—habitual springtime offenders on par with the Mets, who call Citi Field home—a rare perspective from the front seat of a cop car. They even let us play with the lights.
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=429><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Ford’s first new, pursuit-certified police cars in 15 years are based on the Taurus and Explorer. Just don’t call them Taurus and Explorer. Ford says these heavily modified cruisers went through 28 months of track and real-world development, including input, testing and a thorough evaluation of their capabilities from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
It’s Notah Taurus (or Explorer)
Ford claims unique engine calibrations for the Interceptors allow them to perform under the rigorous conditions expected from police service. The Interceptor sedan’s 3.5-liter V-6 adds variable valve timing to make 288 hp and 254 lb-ft of torque, the same 25-horse, 5-lb-ft gain made by the 2013 Taurus versus last year’s. There’s also an EcoBoost-equipped Interceptor sedan, with the Taurus SHO’s 365 hp and 350 lb-ft. The Interceptor Utility’s 3.7-liter V-6 makes 304 hp and 279 lb-ft of torque.
But if the engines are no stronger than those found in regular Fords, nearly everything else is as beefy and impervious as a desk sergeant. Compared to the outgoing Crown Vic, the new sedan’s brakes offer 60 percent more swept area and 53 percent better thermal management, and they have unique rotors, pads, seals, and stainless-steel pistons. A big-mouthed front fascia delivers more cooling air to fully vented rotors. Auxiliary oil coolers flank a radiator that is 50 percent larger than that of the consumer Taurus.
Heavy-duty shocks and springs and specially developed, 18-inch Goodyear Eagle RS tires allow 40-mph curb whacks with no tire blowouts or damage to black-steel rims. And the new models are certified to handle a brutal, 75-mph offset rear collision without spewing fuel. (You might remember when this was a newsworthy upgrade for Crown Vics.)
Inside, a nostalgic column shifter for the six-speed automatic frees up space on the extra-wide center console for computers and other gear. Fabric seats are tapered to accommodate officers’ bulky utility belts. “Anti-stab” plates in seatbacks prevent suspects from sticking in the knife. Optional ballistic doors, Ford says, are certified to block shots from Level 3 ammunition. Nineteen available colors include Michigan’s familiar and very cool State-Police blue, a shade that gives locals the ******* just imagining it in their rearview mirror.
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=429><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

Key cylinders for ignition, trunk, and liftgate may seem old-fashioned, but they allow departments to cheaply cut their own keys and physically secure weapons and other expensive gear. Steering-wheel switches can be hardwired to manage aftermarket light bars, sirens, or other gear. Rubberized floors and vinyl seats can be quickly sanitized after hauling queasy drunks and other suspects to the station. “Customers in the back are sometimes not the cleanest customers,” says Bill Gubing, chief engineer of the Ford Police Program.
The Fords are equally fastidious in fuel consumption. The base V-6 sedan is EPA rated at 18/26 mpg, with the EcoBoost version at 16/23 mpg and the Utility at 16/22 mpg. Compared with the Crown Vic, the sedans burn up to 35 percent less fuel when idling, a big deal for cops: An Ottawa, Canada, study suggested that the average police car idles for up to 6.7 hours in every 10-hour shift.
Behind the Wheel, Under the Bar
When it’s time to light the cherry top, the Fords drive like buttoned-down versions of the showroom cars. We tested a trusty black-and-white Crown Vic back-to-back with new models in autocross, slalom, and braking exercises.
The surprise was the venerable Victoria, one of the last Panther-chassis police packages to roll off the now-mothballed assembly line. With its rear wheels and 4.6-liter V-8 churning, the old Vic was a hoot to jack (Kojak?) around the course, burning rubber and sliding sideways in ’70s-detective style.

In contrast, the 21st-century toys were relentless understeerers, their front wheels threatening every orange cone when traction limits were exceeded. Ford engineers cringed when I suggested the old Vic was more fun to drive, and reminded me of the new Interceptor’s huge objective edge in grip, lap times, 0-to-100-mph acceleration, 100-to-0-mph braking, and balanced operation.
As mentioned, the Interceptor sedan and utility models come standard with all-wheel drive; both can be ordered in front-drive spec. In low-friction conditions such as on snow or ice, the AdvanceTrac stability-control system can send 100 percent of available torque to the front or rear wheels. Combined with traction control, the Interceptors do deliver evident advantages over the disco-era Crown Victoria. Don Kutschall, a longtime Skip Barber and police-driving instructor, said that the new Fords are faster, safer, and more predictable, allowing officers to focus on the task at hand and the scene ahead. “To help in any situation, they have to get there first,” Kutschall says. “This car will get them there without incident.”
Traditionalists, Gubing adds, once assumed that the only real police car is a sedan. But with the Utility mixing a high-speed pursuit rating with bonus real estate and an 800-pound load capacity, the Interceptor Utility may make converts out of them. (It will compete with the police-spec Chevy Tahoe and the newly announced Dodge Durango Special Service.)

The purest boys in blue have also been known to grouse about the lack of a V-8. But Ford’s power-plus-economy pitch is familiar, even if we haven’t seen much in the way of real-world mileage gains in our tests. The twin-turbo EcoBoost, Gubing says, “can maximize takedowns and prevent high-speed pursuits before they even occur,” perhaps disappointing Dutch ecstasy dealers in Lamborghinis.
Blown Advantage
And in testing last November by the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department, the EcoBoosted Interceptor did smoke all comers, including Chevy’s Impala and new rear-drive Caprice PPV, and even Dodge’s 370-hp Hemi V-8 Charger Pursuit. The turbo Ford posted a 6.2-second 0-to-60 time, nearly a second quicker than the Dodge’s. The Ford also pocketed a two-second edge in average lap times over 32 go-rounds at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California, and beat the Charger by four seconds on a city-pursuit course.
Unlucky drivers who find themselves outgunned by the Interceptor should keep license and registration at the ready. Or barring that, a handy line: “Don’t tase me, bro.” View Photo Gallery
================================================== ==============================================

Last edited by Space; 04-04-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

haha love how you used my picture!
I uh, don't speed a lottttttt
but anywho, being around police officers mywhole life, in a good way!
My dads department used to have the chevys, impala and tahoe.
but with all these new ones coming out, my dad didnt like the new police cars coming out, he test drove a few, and switched to dodge! Charger and duragno.

So coming from a department full of police, Dodge got all of their votes over ford and chevy.

I think i could snake through and outrun the new ones with black licorice!
Great article!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:09 AM

Hi `Devin,
I'm happy you enjoyed your Monte S.S.`Snake in the thread & I was hoping it would make you smile . Is you father still in Law Enforcement ? Do you let him drive your Monte ? Did you ever consider being a police officer ? To me it's a very dangerous profession in 2day's world...4-Sure.
I respect the police, but it's sad that many don't
You should mod your Monte like the below one ~>

Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

hey space! I definetly made me smile great start to the day thanks!
Yes my dad is chief of police! so he runs the whole department.
He wants me to be a cop, but im going to school to be a meteorologist!
I AM involved with the dept. though, im an auxillary police officers
My duties are to do traffic control, ride alongs, helping the police out. ive made arrests when whatever policeman im with tells me too ect. ect. It is dangerous, ive seen a lot of bad things, its just nothing i want to do day to day, weather is what really interests me.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:47 AM

Hi `Devin, & thanks for your reply.
WoW, you have a very interesting life...First the snakes & now we learn more about your family history of police officer's. I wish your father a safe career 4-Sure. I'm sure that you've seen the bad side of our society There seems to be many that don't have any respect for authority in todays world...I find that sad

I think being a meteorologist could also be a dangerous profession dealing with Mother Nature & all her moods .
Would you like to be a storm chaser ? WoW, those guys are crazy...It's sad to see the recent damage that the weather caused in Texas & I hope none of our member's were harmed or their Monte's...Thanks for sharing & good luck on finishing your degree & getting the position you desire..
Peace/Out from `Space....

Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 AM

I don't really care for the new cars. All my area is switching out to Chargers. A few cities have already swapped their whole fleet them. My city has a few unmarked traffic chargers and now they want to replace 2 marked units with Chargers. OHP, county sheriffs and Metro Park Rangers have changed over and are adding some Tahoes.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

NY state police is almost all crown vics still with some suv's. Same with the county sheriffs although they have a few chargers. And the local city department has mostly crown vics with a couple chargers. I do like the look of the taurus as a police vehicle, not so the explorer

Old 04-04-2012, 10:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

The Michigan state Police have switched to chargers and it looks like our local sheriffs dept is too. I seen 4 of them parked in there back lot. Our city pd bought 5 new tahoes last year and angered a lot of people. the dept said they were the best option they had.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

We have a bunch of Chargers here now but i think the GTO is still good to get away

Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

We have a sweet 2012 charger in my home town, it's an undercover car so all black, I would try to get pulled over just to talk to him lol

As for those fords, I'd run from them just because they're bound to break down sooner or later lol

Quick Reply: = Can you Beat `it ? = = = = =