Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe 2.0T Manual =

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 06:26 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Lightbulb = 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe 2.0T Manual =

2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe 2.0T Manual

Member's do you like it ? or not ? Post your thoughts/opinions...Do you want one ?
A 4 Banger in a Caddy ?

This car should wear laurels.

• [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

If an automaker’s success really were just about the cars, as the industry shibboleth has it, Cadillac would be riding high. Take the object of this test, the new-for-2015 ATS coupe. It proved itself a worthy entry-luxury sports coupe by just about every measure imaginable, and it’s one of the most modest Cadillacs you can buy, packing a 2.0-liter turbo four with a six-speed manual gearbox in a compact two-door. Delightful to drive, well appointed, and properly built, it joins the CTS sedan (one of our 10Best Cars winners) as a world-class contender.
And yet, headline after headline is about how Cadillac is “struggling,” its sales volumes down, its leaders stirring new controversies with every pronouncement about how they’re going to “fix” things by moving the marketing team to New York, stripping the wreath from the crest on the badge, changing the naming scheme, pursuing an ambitious higher-price strategy, and investing heavily to expand the range of products. If the secret sauce is good cars, then what’s all that fuss about?
ABOUT THE CAR

On the evidence of the ATS, Cadillac is making really good cars. Some great ones, even. Aside from its drivetrain, this example was no stripper: It arrived at the test track wearing the range-topping Premium trim, which lifts the MSRP from the base $38,990 to $48,090. Aside from the usual abundance of creature comforts and showy technologies that come with such a designation and another 91 Benjamins, the Premium trim brings GM’s Magnetic Ride Control variable suspension and a limited-slip differential, both useful contributors to the ATS’s superb handling and over-the-road performance.
At the track, the turbo-four/manual combo delivered a 0-to-­60-mph run of 5.7 seconds, just 0.3 longer than achieved by the previously tested V-6/automatic ATS coupe, and finished the quarter-mile sprint in 14.1 seconds while doing 101 mph. Good numbers. It surrenders a half-second to 60 mph but finishes the quarter-mile in a dead heat with the BMW 428i that is the most direct competitor. And this ATS handily beat Munich’s base coupe in deceleration and roadholding by braking from 70 mph in only 156 feet and clawing the skidpad at 0.92 g.
When we pitted the 2.0-liter/manual-gearbox Cadillac and BMW sedans against one another in a comparison test, the BMW won but the Detroit entry’s engine has since been recalibrated and delivers a lot more torque earlier in the rev band. It still can’t match the easy-spinning eager personality of the BMW’s mill, but it lands a stronger punch. This coupe was but 2 pounds heavier than the sedan with the same drivetrain in that comparo and 86 pounds lighter than the V-6 ATS coupe. It all seems to have come off the front axle, as the balance shifts rearward from 52.0/48.0 percent with the six to 50.7/49.3 in this car.
And the coupe expands on the “fun to drive” elements we found most appealing in the sedan. It has a sweetly balanced, light and lively character with crisp turn-in response, a precise shifter that’s fun to use, brakes that are not only strong but reassuringly easy to modulate, and a controlled ride free of the excesses of roll, pitch, or head-toss.
No car is perfect, of course, and this one might have drawn more attention if the two-door looked a little less like the sedan, bolder and more daring. No one looks at a 4-series or an Audi A5 and says, “That looks just like the sedan without the rear doors.” Some say that about the ATS coupe, noting that the previous-generation CTS coupe was far more distinctive. It was also harder to see out of and the expressive design didn’t result in many sales, so this more conservative approach with the ATS is understandable. It might look better without a B-pillar, but so might the 4-series and the Lexus RC, and those, too, had to yield to the need for structural rigidity and side-impact safety.
ASPIRATIONS AND PRICES

There was only one extracost option on this example (the manual is a no-cost choice over the standard six-speed automatic): $1295 for the upgraded Kona brown leather with jet-black accents that dressed up the cabin. We liked it, but the standard cabin trimmings already meet high standards for materials and fit. The bottom line falling just shy of $50K reflects Cadillac’s conviction that premium-grade cars should wear premium-grade stickers. Some of us have opined that this strategy is a tad ambitious—or just plain too much. In this case, we spec’d out a 428i with equivalent equipment and rang up a $53,000 tab. No further comment.
Cadillac already builds cars as good as (or better than) those from German and Japanese luxury marques. Yes, it could stand for that accolade to spread across a wider range of its products, particularly in the crossover segment, but the past few years suggest that future models in the pipeline should do fine. And yet, there’s all that ill news in the wind. Success must not be only about the cars. If Cadillac has to pay more attention to dealers and marketing and brand-building, okay, so long as it keeps building cars like this ATS. Because making great cars is where it begins, and Cadillac has a strong running start. View Photo Gallery

Old 12-18-2014, 06:28 AM

Could your Monte Carlo beat it ?

SPECIFICATIONS

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe

PRICE AS TESTED: $49,385 (base price $48,090) >WOW, they are expensive 4-$ure

ENGINE TYPE: turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve inline-4, aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection

Displacement: 122 cu in, 1998 cc
Power: 272 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque: 295 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 6-speed manual

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 109.3 in
Length: 183.6 in
Width: 72.5 in Height: 54.8 in
Curb weight: 3479 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.7 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.7 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 25.4 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 6.6 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 10.3 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 7.8 sec
Standing Ľ-mile: 14.1 sec @ 101 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 150 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 156 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.92 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway: 19/30 mpg
C/D observed: 21 mpg

Old 12-18-2014, 06:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've never been a fan of the Cadillac...

My father owned many of them back in the 60's...
I also use to work for Boulevard and Trumbull Towing back in the 80's and early 90's and towed a lot of them for misc problems to Dalgleish Cadillac downtown Detroit.

I also hauled a few for GM from the factory to dealers all over the country... I use to work for a couple different car hauling outfits. Which also had problems right from the factory.. Getting one off the headache rack was a real bummer wont it wouldn't start/run...

The headache rack is the car that rides right over the cab..

Old 12-18-2014, 08:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space
Those specs are pretty damn close to the BudChev - it would be a good race on a dragstrip anyways. I guess that's impressive for a 2.0L 4 cyl, but I also think the price tag is a little high. When I spend 50 grand I want a car that'll crush most other cars. But there is always a bigger fish, so speed ain't everything

I'll take a pass on this Cadillac

Old 12-18-2014, 09:45 AM

Hi David & Brent & thanks for being the first member's to post on this thread.

I think it's a good vehicle if it was selling in the $25K to $35K range.. I think it is way overpriced for what it is (?)

I'd like to test drive one, but I don't think I'd buy one for that amount...

It will be interesting to see if it's a winner for GM or a loser.
There other 4 cylinder Caddy's didn't do very well

Old 12-18-2014, 10:07 AM

The cobalt SS puts on a caddy badge

Old 12-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space

SPECIFICATIONS

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe

PRICE AS TESTED: $49,385 (base price $48,090) >WOW, they are expensive 4-$ure

ENGINE TYPE: turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve inline-4, aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection

Displacement: 122 cu in, 1998 cc
Power: 272 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque: 295 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 6-speed manual

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 109.3 in
Length: 183.6 in
Width: 72.5 in Height: 54.8 in
Curb weight: 3479 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.7 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.7 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 25.4 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 6.6 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 10.3 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 7.8 sec
Standing Ľ-mile: 14.1 sec @ 101 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 150 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 156 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.92 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway: 19/30 mpg
C/D observed: 21 mpg

This is an Impressive Ride I got home back in September and my wife was driving around in the STS version of this 2014, it was a pearl white car. This one had less that 1500 miles on it. She had take our 2013 Equinox in to have some warranty and other stuff done, and this is what they gave her for the loaner. So I am driving it around and when somebody passes you the seats vibrate on the side of the car that you are being passed kinda scared me a first. Now I know why you see so many women driving these cars!?!?!?!

Old 12-18-2014, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Habbibie
The cobalt SS puts on a caddy badge

LoL Henry, yes & the Cobalt S.S. is faster in the 1/4 mile (WoW)
2009 Chevy Cobalt SS (2.0L Turbo) 0-60 mph 5.7 Quarter mile 13.8
Plus I don't like the Caddy's new badge > I liked their Caddy Crest a lot better... At the asking price of this new Caddy > I think GM is making another mistake by asking so much for this ATS Coupe (?)
Time will tell & reveal the facts...

Thanks for your post

Last edited by Space; 12-18-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:33 AM

Hi `Dale (lol) Vibrating seats (LOL)
Sounds like a nice ride....I think we are getting closer to cars that drive themselves in production soon...(I don't think I'd like that unless I had a job that required me to drive hundreds of miles a day)

Thanks for your post & events > How comes you've been sitting in the Caddy so long with a big smile on your face ?

Old 12-18-2014, 12:18 PM

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS

For Sale 12 minutes ago
Classic Performance Auto Inc.
Raleigh, NC

Price
$7,995

A person could buy the above & save about $42 K +
& be able to smoke the new ATS Caddy (WoW)

Quick Reply: = 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe 2.0T Manual =