Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= = Super Chevy's October 2014 = =

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up = = Super Chevy's October 2014 = =

Ro McGonegal Oct 17, 2014
1972 Chevrolet Nova - The Time ThiefIs it still the same old story, a fight for love and glory, a case of do or die? According to Billy Utley’s brilliant ’72 Nova, the vein of that old tune ... » Read More

FEATURES

Geoff Stunkard Oct 15, 2014
1962 Woodsman Shaker Chevy II - Too Much IIA vintage racecar inspired Dan Bergeron to build this street/strip '62 Chevy II; he was 7-years-old. » Read More

SPONSORED

Ford Oct 15, 2014
Road Tripping This Fall? Six Unique Routes To Inspire The SeasonCoast to coast, now's the perfect time for a fall drive. Enjoy these outstanding routes and hidden gems. » Read More

FEATURES

Scott Ross Oct 15, 2014
1977 Chevrolet Corvette - Corvette-AbilityHow do you define “Corvette-ability?” Is it the combination of styling, handling, and power that makes it America’s Only True Sports Car? » Read More

ENGINES DRIVETRAIN

Scott Parker Oct 15, 2014
2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 Camshaft and Header Upgrades from RedlineRedline Motorsports ups the ante on a 2014 Camaro Z/28 with a cam, headers, and custom tune. Follow along on the install as Redline creates a hot rodder's ... » Read More

ENGINES DRIVETRAIN

Patrick Hill Oct 14, 2014
Ditch The Six: Part 2 - Swapping a 5.3 LS into a 1955 Chevy 210Welcome to part two of our 5.3 LS conversion of a ’55 210 sedan. In part one, we covered the actual installation of the engine/trans combo, gas tank, and ... » Read More

1957 Chevrolet Corvette, Smooth And Powerful - From the ArchivesThe effect is called affine shear, the forward leaning of a vehicle photographed in motion. It was used to dramatically represent the power ... » Read More
Drew Hardin Oct 14, 2014

FEATURES

Old 10-17-2014, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

1972 Chevrolet Camaro - Can You Top This?

David Moreno saved this T-top-equipped ’72 from disintegrating

Stephanie Davies
View Full Gallery

T-tops: Today, they're an anachronism, a leaky throwback to the Smokey & The Bandit era. Once beloved, they're often the butt of jokes, a relic from the days of 145-horsepower Z28s and mullets.
While it's not hard to find a late second-gen or third- and fourth-gens with the optional T-roofs, they were not a factory option until 1978. The '72 Camaro you see here was converted using an aftermarket kit, and if not for one dedicated young enthusiast, this F-body would probably have been crushed.
It's difficult for any true automotive enthusiast to see a classic rotting into the earth. David Moreno of California, watched this Camaro slowly disintegrate for four years, asking his uncle several times if he would sell it to him. Finally, in 2008, his relative agreed and relinquished it for $500.
2/11
"It had been sitting in his yard for almost four years with rats and spiders living in it," David remembers. "All of the paint was peeling, interior was gutted, and it had 14-inch solid Center Line rims up front and 15-inchers on the rear—very '80s. He had plans to restore it, but he never got around to it."
David worked through a timeline on his way to bringing the Camaro back to life.
"The first year was spent going through the motor and drivetrain. The second year I rattle canned the exterior and put the interior together. The third year was spent shopping for rims, a hood, and a front fender."
The Camaro spent February and March 2011 with Chris Morrow of Elk Grove, California, having its body repaired, sanded, and primed by Chris, David, and his brother Brandon, before being sent to Maaco for a fresh coat of paint. Black graphics on the hood and rear spoiler were done by Vinyl Styles of San Carlos, California, and a billet grille and Boss 338 wheels (18x8, front; 18x9.5, rear) finish out the look.
6/11
7/11
"The only real trouble I had was finding weatherstripping for my aftermarket T-tops. I searched cross-country and could not find any so I ended up making my own from hardtop stripping."
After Detroit ceased convertible production in '76, open air alternatives starting springing up. These T-tops, David said, are the Camaro's most unique feature.
"I get so many questions about them. GM did not start offering T-tops until 1978, and mine are a Cars and Concepts kit installed in 1987. There is a sticker in the glovebox with all of the paperwork and information about the install."
8/11
9/11
A 1994 GM 350-cubic-inch crate engine sits under the Goodmark 2-inch cowl induction hood. It is fitted with Vortec iron cylinder heads, a Competition Cams camshaft, Edelbrock Performance RPM intake manifold, and an Edelbrock Thunder Series 650-cfm carburetor. An Edelbrock mechanical fuel pump makes sure there is no shortage of sustenance.
A 700-R4 transmission, assembled by Rick Delgado of Redwood City Transmission, handles shifting duties, and a GM 10-bolt axle with 3.42 gears and Positraction reside in the rear.
New Chevron PitPack™
www.chevronlubricants.com/PitPack
Easy Dispense Motor Oil System.
89% Less Waste Than Quart Bottles.

The Camaro's suspension is composed of Jegs 2-inch drop spindles and KYB shocks and springs for a total drop of three inches in the front. Hotchkis springs and shocks in the back with a Hellwig sway bar for a total drop of 2.5 inches in the rear.
10/11
Procar black vinyl and tweed seats provide a comfortable place for occupants to sit, and enjoy the sunshine and breeze from the T-tops. If the roar coming through the Flow-Tech mid-length headers with custom exhaust and Flowmaster mufflers isn't what you want to hear (really?), you can always crank up the JVC stereo with Sony amplifier and Pioneer speakers and subwoofer.
"I think I am pretty lucky because there is a local store called Steve's Camaro Parts in San Bruno, California. He had a lot of parts that I needed."
David tells us that the Camaro is a "driver" and that he cruises in it at least once a week, though on occasional it can serve as a daily driver. He says the next course of action is to rip out the dash and replace the gauges with new ones from Auto Meter, but in the meantime, he's keeping himself busy with a new project: a '75 Chevy C10.
The '72 is the first classic David has ever owned and it has morphed into a jaw-dropping vision. We can't wait to see what else he has up his sleeve.
11/11