Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= = Need 4 `SPEED = =

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking = = Need 4 `SPEED = =

On the Set of the "Need for Speed" Movie for a Day

Behind the Scenes: What Makes the Cars of "NFS" Tick?

By Benson Kong | March 11, 2014 |

It's a cool, sunny April morning, and in a little less than six months from this day, the runaway hit that is the AMC TV show "Breaking Bad" will reach its finale. But wait, there's Jesse Pinkman in front of us! Although today the actor who plays Jesse -- Aaron Paul – is inhabiting a character named Tobey Marshall. The Emmy winner also appears to be sitting in a Koenigsegg Agera R. Except, in reality, he isn't.Nearly a year ago, we rolled into California's spectacularly forested Mendocino County for an invitation-only peek at the "Need for Speed" movie set. "Need for Speed," which will be in theaters March 14, is named for the long-running video-game franchise. The movie involves a cross-country race loaded with exotic, eye-catching
cars

and fast driving. The film is not based on any particular NFS game, though gamers will note the nation-spanning marathon parallels Need for Speed: The Run (2011). At this time, the crew is seven days into shooting, with around another 60 days ahead. From Mendocino County, it'll caravan on to Georgia, Detroit, and Moab, Utah.

Read about the Ford Mustang's role in the "Need for Speed" movie HERE.

Today, director Scott Waugh and his team are capturing the "Need for Speed" ending near the Point Arena lighthouse, a historic landmark. In the scene: a Lamborghini Sesto Elemento that looks quite villainous and the Agera R. One of these cars is about to be dramatically flipped.
The engine of the Chevrolet Camaro SS, SS sedan, and C6 Corvette is popular in the "Need for Speed" garage, finding a home in many a sled.

Movies with cars as stars would be impossibly pricey to produce if several copies of hyper-rare, expensive, or priceless machinery were needed. Enter movie magic. Chassis sleds are brought in, exterior specifications are sourced from manufacturers, models are mocked up, replica bodywork is affixed, and voila. Cue destruction and mayhem. Underneath the relatively convincing "sheetmetal" (don't look too closely at the details), a high level of mechanical commonality ensures cameras don't stop rolling because a picture car isn't working come call time. Picture car coordinator Steve Mann gives a rundown of some of the other cars assembled for "Need for Speed." Bugatti Veyron Super
Sport

, Spano GTA, Saleen S7, McLaren P1, '69 Torino, '66 GTO, '68 Camaro, Porsche 944, BMW 3.0. Two of each was requested, except for the BMW (only one was specified). Four Koenigseggs and three Lambos were made.Now imagine if they were all real-real and you were the head mechanic. But instead of crying yourself to sleep every night after trying to memorize multiple
service

manuals, you would only really need to know about the LS3 V-8. The engine of the Chevrolet Camaro SS, SS sedan, and C6 Corvette is popular in the "Need for Speed" garage, finding a home in many a sled. MagnaFlow exhausts supply the burbles. Because the different bodywork and their attendant air intakes can affect powertrain cooling from sled to sled, custom cooling solutions for the different cars is not unusual.Control-arm suspension keeps the tires on the ground and bodies off it. When stunt driver pods are locked in, spring rates can increase to a rock-hard 800-1000 pounds per inch to accommodate the extra weight. For perspective, 100-200 lb/in is considered to be within the street-ready, comfort spectrum for a
compact car

. Pods resembling skeletal frames sit over the Agera R and Sesto Elemento rear axles, granting full vehicle control suspended by support structures. Each packs another 500 pounds onto each car. The obligatory steering wheel, pedal box, shifter, and seat await the individuals willing to be strapped in

The individuals driving today (while Paul and costar Dominic Cooper get face time from inside the cars) are 1X and 7X, or all-around good guys Tanner Foust and Rhys Millen, as they're known outside the script. Foust is Paul's stunt double; Millen is Cooper's. They're both ready to do more than 100 mph seated in what are essentially exposed metal chairs, and fly in a pack at more than 80 mph. Director Waugh is all for the old-fashioned, gritty, and honest camerawork the vintage car-movie buffs are always going on about. As more than 10 crew members fuss over the Lambo, preparing it at base camp, and before donning his helmet and rumbling off down Lighthouse Road to shoot the movie's concluding scenes, Millen jokes he's not good-looking enough to be in front of the cameras. So he's a wheelman. A very good one.Producer and certified
car

nut John Gatins will have been working on "Need For Speed" for about four years when the movie opens.

Continues on Next Post below

Last edited by Space; 03-12-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Talking There's always more from `Space > It's so VAST (LOL)

Old 03-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Talking == =Bonus `Video = ==

Bonus `Vid 4 your viewing pleasure
It's `free 4 U >
Is anyone going to see this Moive ? Do you want 2 ?

I `do > I `do

Last edited by Space; 03-12-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

Can't wait for this. Something tells me this will be thd new fast and furious

Old 03-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Thumbs up Thanks 4 being a active contributing MCF Member

..Thanks `George for being the first to post on this thread & the first in line to see the movie I liked the trailer `vid & the write `up from Motor Trend

I'm looking forward to seeing this one...I haven't seen that many movie's in my life, but I think I'd like this one 4-Sure..

p.s. Like your `sig

Old 03-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Monte of the Month -- December 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks like an awesome movie! The thing I wanna know is...How much did this movie cost to produce!? Them cars ain't cheap! And I believe they wreck a few of them too if I'm not mistaken!

Old 03-12-2014, 10:39 AM

Yeah I'd love to hear how much it cost to make. I'm seeing it with the boys as soon as it comes out this week!!

Old 03-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Talking >EnJoy Speed 4-Sure > Drive it safe <LOL>

Hi `Josh, `Tyler & Member's,

I don't know what it cost, but it has to be tons of $'s. I'm sure the price to see it will be `high >, but high speeds cost Big $'s >

The `Plot >After being released from prison for a crime that he didn't commit, street racer Tobey Marshall is set to race cross-country and to avenge the death of a friend.

>(I don't know why he just didn't fly `out in a `jet (LOL)
Look 4ward to reading everyones reviews after they attend. >EnJoy the SPEED 4-Sure...Should `be a great Mind Trip

Old 03-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

Tobey....aka jesse haha he will always be jesse to me and thanks space

Old 03-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

This movie is going to suck,I didn't see any Monte Carlos in it. Hahaha no it should be a good movie I want to see it.

Quick Reply: = = Need 4 `SPEED = =