Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= = Massive Accident = = `be Safe out there = =

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 04:42 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy = = Massive Accident = = `be Safe out there = =

Hi Member's,
Another sad traffic accident, but a reminder to `be safe out there on your highways of life...

2 killed, dozens injured in massive Texas pileup

<CITE id=yui_3_5_1_19_1353667154807_260 class="byline vcard">Associated Press – <ABBR class=updated title=2012-11-23T05:27:49Z>5 hrs ago</ABBR></CITE>

• Enlarge Photo
    Associated Press/The Beaumont Enterprise, Guiseppe Barranco - Cars and Trucks are piled on Interstate 10 in Southeast Texas Thursday Nov. 22, 2012. The Texas Department of Public Safety says at least 35 people …more have been injured in a more than 50-vehicle pileup. (AP Photo/The Beaumont Enterprise, Guiseppe Barranco) less

<!-- START article -->Related Content

prevnext

<!-- yog-5u -->
BEAUMONT, Texas (AP) — Two people died and more than 80 people were hurt Thursday when at least 140 vehicles collided in Southeast Texas in a pileup that left trucks twisted on top of each other and authorities rushing to pull survivors from the wreckage.
The collision occurred in extremely foggy conditions at about 8:45 a.m. Thanksgiving Day on Interstate 10 southwest of Beaumont, a Gulf Coast city about 80 miles east of Houston.
A man and a woman were killed in a Chevy Suburban SUV crushed by a tractor trailer, the Texas Department of Public Safety told KFDM-TV.
DPS trooper Stephanie Davis late Thursday identified the dead as Debra Leggio, 60, and Vincent Leggio, 64.
Jefferson County sheriff's Deputy Rod Carroll said in a news release that 80 to 90 people were transported to hospitals with 10 to 12 of those in serious to critical condition. He said 140 to 150 vehicles were involved in the pileup.
According to DPS, a crash on the eastbound side of the highway led to other accidents in a dangerous chain reaction. There were multiple crashes on the other side of the highway as well.
Carroll told The Associated Press the fog was so thick that deputies didn't immediately realize they were dealing with multiple accidents.
"It is catastrophic," Carroll said. "I've got cars on top of cars."
I-10's eastbound lanes were re-opened Thursday evening after more than eight hours.
Davis told KFDM that two people in an SUV died after the crash.
Carroll said uninjured drivers tried to help as authorities sorted through the wreckage.
"It's just people helping people," Carroll said. "The foremost thing in this holiday season is how other travelers were helping us when we were overwhelmed, sitting and holding, putting pressure on people that were injured."

<!-- yog-llu -->

<!-- END article -->Explore Related Content

1 - 4 of 20
prevnext

Old 11-23-2012, 05:29 AM

happened on thanksgiving, how sad =(

Old 11-23-2012, 05:50 AM
Question What if ?

Yes, it's sad that it happened on Thanksgiving morning, but it's sad no matter when it happens...

Accidents happened to everyone, everywhere
I post threads like above to make/suggest that our member's be safe when they are out on their highways of life...
Why are we so fragile, yet so powerful?

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, concluding that everything has dual nature......for instance:
1-The human body can survive freezing cold and boiling hot temperatures
2-If we lose one of our sense the others become stronger
3-When trauma is caused to bone, it is rebuilt stronger
4-When you are cut or injure yourself, the body repairs the cut or injured area via the clotting mechanism, and promotion of new growth.
5-The body compensates when you get cold by shivering and delivering more fat to be burned in order to produce heat, and by sweating, to cool off the body and keeping it in homoeostasis(The ability or tendency of an organism or cell to maintain internal equilibrium by adjusting its physiological processes).
6-During trauma to the body, the body compensates by shutting down blood supply to the non vital organs and constricting its blood vessels, in order to keep vital organs functioning.

Now lets look at some negative aspects,you could die tomorrow just as easily.

Your body could be crushed in a car accident by a large truck or a crazy Monte Carlo owner with road rage. It could accidentally fall down a flight of stairs. It could be shot by a stray or intentional bullet. It could slip into a swimming pool or pond and drown. It could be struck by lightning. It could be trapped in a burning building. It could be poisoned either accidentally or intentionally. It could have a heart attack or an aneurism. It could be blown up by a suicide bomber.... The list is nearly endless. Thousands of human bodies die every day in accidents like these.

So why this dual nature folks???
Humans are among the most fragile living species. But we compensate our fragility with our intelligence, at the point that we have changed the environment to fit our needs. Most lifeforms adapt to their sorroundings, humans have change the sorroundings to fit their needs. And that is because our hability to think and bring ideas to reality. We dont belong to the ocean, but we have developed systems that help us to submerge in the water just like fish do. We have colonized and devastated jungles and turned them into cities. This sounds cruel but is part of the way we compensate our physical fragility. If we were not so intelligent maybe we would be as strong as ants. But intelligence has a price. Destruction of the environment, violence, lack of tolerance, are byproducts of our intelligence. Or maybe if we keep of evolving as species this negative aspects will disappear from the primitive sector or our mindsets. Humans created automobiles, but some humans should not be permitted to `drive on their highways of life 4-Sure
Well the above gave you something to read & think about on the day after Thanksgiving 2012...It also filled in some empty `space on the MCF I hope that it also made the reader think the next time they get behind the wheel of their Monte Carlo's...What `if ?? 4-Sure!!! Be Safe Out there `OK.
http://www.ted.com/conversations/10852/why_are_we_so_fragile_yet_so.html

Last edited by Space; 11-23-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Reminds me of a massive accident that happened here between Windsor and London, Ontario. Happened many years ago. Sad when it happens any time of year. Not just thanksgiving.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Saw that on the news, Space...How tragic!

TAZ... I remember that accident as well!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The one here was caused because of a stretch of highway that was covered by heavy fog. And involved 87 cars and trucks.

As many of you know. When you reach a stretch of highway that goes through farm land, you can get very sudden fog that is super thick. That's what happened here in early september many years ago.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:37 AM

Thanks `Lou for your post of another sad event...I hope it makes our member's think & learn from prior accidents.
I know it's always a reminder to me when I see tragic events like above...It can happen anywhere & that's why I post often to "EnJoy your NOW" ~> What if ? 4-Sure...+ it's great that the Chevy Monte Carlo is a safe built auto...Don't 4-get to buckle `up & be safe out there on your highways of life...

Below is a massive accident in Florida this year

Foggy I-75 Crash Unavoidable, Says Florida Highway Patrol (VIDEO)

Foggy I-75 Crash Unavoidable, Says Florida Highway Patrol (VIDEO)

Click above link to read more if you want ++pic's/vid's
The patrol rejected many of the findings of an April report by another state agency, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, which found errors but not criminal violations were made in decisions leading to the Jan. 29 wrecks that killed 11 people along Interstate 75 near Gainesville. FHP laid significant blame on drivers themselves, not law enforcement.

Last edited by Space; 11-23-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:17 PM

ok confirms that i am so getting foglights for christmas

Old 11-23-2012, 01:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

We had some bad fog here last week and i hated driving in it. I had all my lights on but it makes me nervous that someone else is gonna hit me.