Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= = Driven: 2013 Subaru BRZ + more AutoDreams = =

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Test driver has close call with deer (Video)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Above posted 4 Mod `Mike ^^^^^^^^^^^^Road Obstactles ~> LOL

<IFRAME height=324 src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/vyc/site/player.html#vid=28225611&shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fscr een.yahoo.com%2Fscion-fr-s-commercial-shoot-behind-the-scenes-close-call-28225611.html&lang=en-US&browseCarouselUI=hide&repeat=0&startScreenCarou selUI=hide" frameBorder=0 width=576></IFRAME>
In this exclusive video to Yahoo News, professional formula driver Ken Gushi has an extremely close call with a wild deer who runs across the road directly into Gushi's path.
Gushi was test driving the forthcoming Toyota Scion FR-S in northern California's Mt. Diablo State Park when the near-mishap took place. Director Simon Needham captures the whole thing in HD, including Gushi's reaction.
"On my very first run of the day today we were up in the canyons driving and I come across this left hand turn over a crest and down onto a straight," Gushi says in the video. "I'm trying to mind my own business driving and trying to navigate these unknown roads when all of a sudden I see this black figure just prancing toward the road. At that moment, I just knew, 'Oh, s--- something's wrong.'"

"I got on the brakes and I see this deer coming down the mountain, getting as close as two or three feet, and again just prancing, minding his own business."
Thankfully, neither Gushi nor the deer were hurt.
According to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration statistics, deer are responsible for or involved in around 1 million collisions with automobiles each year, killing 200 Americans, causing more than 10,000 injuries and $1 billion in vehicle damage.

Scion FR-S Commercial Shoot Behind the Scenes: Close Call - Yahoo!

Last edited by Space; 03-27-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:37 AM

CAR WARS: Scion FR-S vs. VW GTI - WHICH and WHY?

Agent00R submitted on 3/27/2012 Official Bell & Ross Timestamp: 10:49:15 PM

<!-- BOF Kontera Zone Tag -->

When Toyota Motor Sales began showing concepts for its entry-level, joint-project car between Toyota and Subaru, enthusiasts were salivating.<!-- FM Medium Rectangle Zone --><!-- Copyright 2008 DoubleClick, a division of Google Inc. All rights reserved. --><!-- Code auto-generated on Mon Nov 28 16:18:06 EST 2011 --><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- FM Medium Rectangle Zone -->
The concept of a "cheap," rear-wheel drive auto is a dream; however, cheap is a relative term.

Scion announced that the six-speed manual FR-S will ring the register at $24,200 before the $730 extra in delivery costs.

That doesn't sound too bad but there is one problem standing in the way, the Volkswagen Golf GTI.

The GTI starts at $23,995 before the $770 delivery fees.

Here's where things get a bit tricky though. We already know the FR-S is a rear-wheel drive fun machine but its interior looks a bit spotty. That's not much of a surprise coming from Toyota's Scion division. In addition, Edmunds recently tested it and it's not all that brisk either -- Zero to 60 in 7.3 seconds and a 15.3 second quarter mile.

The GTI is a different story as it has one of the classes leading interiors and is a bit quicker scoring a zero to 60 time of 6.0 to 6.4 seconds (depends if you opt for DSG or a DIY transmissionand a quarter mile range between 14.0 to 14.7 seconds.

All that being said, WHICH car would YOU have?

The FR-S, which may have a "meh" interior but is an absolute blast to drive due to its driving dynamics?

...OR...

The GTI, which has a class-leading interior, isn't as much fun to drive because its front-wheel drive and is more practical?

Let us know below...

Click below link

http://bcove.me/dp08h8pm
Click link for 0-60 times + more...
I love the way it handles 4-Sure

Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I hate the comparisons that people are doing.

This car is simply here to fill a niche. People want light, nimble, RWD platforms to have fun. NO ONE who buys this car is going to keep it stock. You have a great little engine to work from to start with.

This car is NOT ABOUT SPEED from the factory. It's about the clean slate that you are buying. So no, I would not rather have a FWD GTI for the same price as a fun to drive car. Interiors mean nothing but added weight, most people will probably have bare bones interiors anyway.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:31 AM

Hi Mod `Mike, I agree with your statement...I just think that some of the auto writer's are just trying to justify their positions ~>

From the vid's & articles & price I think it's going to be a fun car to drive 4-Sure...I enjoyed the vid & I think I could get better times (LOL), but I know it's not built as a 1/4 mile machine, and that it will get decent MPG's....Yes, I also believe there are going to be a lot of mod's to increase the power (If one believes they need more power)...I'm really looking forward to being able to really test drive one...
One of the guys I work with has a brother that's selling them in Merritt Island, Fl & said he would hook me `up when they have one to test drive...Now, all the ones coming in are already purchased Something more to look 4ward to in my future....

Thanks Mike for your thoughts Until then, enjoy the dreams of driving one Peace/Out from

Old 03-29-2012, 12:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It what world does the GTI have a "class leading interior"? I wonder what is in this class. I've read plenty of reviews clearly stating that the newer VW's interiors are cheaper these days - more plasticy.
I'm not big fan of this Scion, but the GTI is bottom feeding interior and exterior. And either car is bested by an entry Camaro, Mustang or Genesis

Old 03-30-2012, 06:23 AM

Hi Brent & thanks for your post/thoughts...I also don't think VW is in the same class & a completely different animal....I like the Scion for what it is & created for (Created 4 Driv'in FUN LOL...
Below is the latest article I've found ~> EnJoy

Driven: 2013 Subaru BRZ - First Drive

A great concept, beautifully executed.

By Andrew Bornhop
March 22, 2012

Slideshow >>
Video >>

<!--/photos-video-wrapper-->
<!-- /Main photo wrapper --><!-- test output end: --><!-- the article, at a glance, downloads, top competitors, from buying guide --><!-- left column -->Cannes, France—Every so often in this business you get the chance to drive a new car that will make a big impression, and I’ve just spent the better part of a day in one: the new 2013 Subaru BRZ, an affordable rear-drive sports coupe that proved to be a tossable delight on the epic switchbacks and esses of the Route Napoleon in southern France. Frankly, I haven’t had this much driving fun in a long time, the BRZ proving with each trip up to its 7400-rpm redline that 200 bhp is plenty of power when the chassis is light, rigid and eager to turn.

Video window may take a few moments to load...<CENTER></CENTER>
On those sinuous French mountain roads lined with short stone walls, the 2762-lb. BRZ chassis felt tight, all of a piece, with minimal body roll, excellent balance and remarkably smooth break-away characteristics when the 215/45R-17s Michelin Primacy tires reached their limits. Acceleration out of corners felt crisp, thanks to the standard Torsen differential, low 4.10:1 final-drive gearing and the engine’s ability to pull steadily all the way to redline. The 6-speed manual transmission does its part too, with short Miata-like throws and close ratios helping to keep the port- and direct-injected 2.0-liter flat-4 Subaru engine in the thick of its powerband.

2013 Subaru BRZ

Although you sit low in the car (the hip point is 4.9 in. lower than in an Impreza), the seat-to-steering wheel relationship feels natural. Moreover, the view ahead is excellent, with relatively thin A-pillars and a cowl that’s lower than expected—a sweet byproduct of Subaru spending so much time and effort ensuring that naturally aspirated flat-4 with 200 bhp at 7000 rpm and 150 lb.-ft. of torque at 6400 rpm is mounted as low and as far back in the chassis as possible.
Location, Location, Location
The location of the engine in the chassis defines the BRZ. The powerplant sits 9.4 inches farther back than in an Impreza, and the crankshaft (in relation to the ground) has been lowered by 2.4 in. Most of the block is visibly aft of the front wheels (a big departure compared with awd Subarus), and the overall height of the powerplant itself has been decreased by 3.5 in., thanks to a shorter intake manifold and a new low-profile oilpan. Also, to help keep the hood low, the radiator has been canted back 17 degrees, and the battery has been moved to the back of the engine compartment to minimize front weight.

2013 Subaru BRZ

This all contributes to a laudable fore/aft weight balance of 53/47, and, perhaps more important, an 18.1 in. center of gravity, which is 0.7 in. lower than the Porsche Cayman’s, a mid-engine car with a higher polar moment of inertia. A low CG does wonders for a car’s handling, reducing the roll moment and load transfer to extract the most out of each tire—in this case the rather narrow Michelins that will undoubtedly be replaced by 225s, which would look more appropriate on this racy little sports coupe with large vented disc brakes at each corner. MacPherson struts are on duty in front, complemented by a double A-arm rear with a beefed-up differential.
The FA20 engine under that low aluminum hood is a marvel, putting out 100 bhp per liter. It’s a 16-valver with chain-driven overhead cams, 12.5:1 compression (which means premium fuel is required), and roller rockers, plus AVCS valve timing and lift control on both the intake and exhaust sides. It’s a square design, with an 86-mm bore and stroke, and the 4 into 2 into 1 exhaust helps maximize power while unfortunately robbing the BRZ of Subaru’s characteristic pulsing flat-4 exhaust note. The BRZ does make good sounds with its twin tailpipes, just not so obviously from a Subaru. And to heighten the sporty sensations, a hint of intake sound is channeled into the cockpit via a small port on the passenger side of the BRZ’s dash. The port opens progressively with throttle, so the BRZ is pleasantly quiet inside at mild throttle openings but properly raucous when mood and conditions warrant.

2013 Subaru BRZ

Race Ready?
Inside, the BRZ has enough headroom and seat travel for drivers 6 ft. 4 and shorter, and the firm seats are a good blend of overall comfort and moderately good support. A 9000-rpm tachometer greets the driver front and center, with a digital speedometer contained within. The leather-wrapped 3-spoke steering wheel has a high-quality feel, devoid of excessive controls and electrically assisted, but without robbing the driver of any feel. In back, one gets the feeling that the BRZ’s +2 seats are there more to lower insurance rates than to actually be used, but the seatback does fold flat to increase cargo capacity significantly. Subaru says two regular golf bags will fit back there, or a complete extra set of wheels and tires. Got that, autocrossers?
And come to think of it, the BRZ would make an entertaining autocross car. Or perhaps even better, a single marque club road racer along the lines of Spec Miata. The traction and stability control is fully defeatable, and this Subaru really is that good dynamically. With its relatively low power, light weight and predictably entertaining manners, the BRZ would be a great car for a beginning racer or the veteran who’s tired of spending a grand to replace the tires on his Vette every other race. Subaru even added that a rollcage can be installed in the BRZ with no cutting of the dash.

2013 Subaru BRZ

On Sale Soon
Pricing has not been set, even though the BRZ starts shipping to dealers from Subaru’s Gunma plant in Japan on April 20, and will likely reach lots by early May. Our best guess? The Premium model will start at $25,000, and the more opulent Limited will be around $27,000. The Scion FR-S—the mechanical twin developed concurrently with the BRZ—starts at $24,200, but the base BRZ has more standard equipment, including HID headlamps and a navigation system. Expect the optional 6-speed automatic, with shift paddles and aggressive blip downshifts, to add about $1000 to those BRZ prices.
All told, I suspect the U.S. is ripe for an affordable rear-drive sports coupe, to get kids away from their smartphones and out driving—for the pure enjoyment of it. When I was blasting up and down the Route Napoleon in the BRZ, the word “balance” kept popping into my mind. Not just in the classic sense of power to weight, but also in level of grip to overall speed, and in not needing massive tires or brakes to have some good unadulterated driving fun.

2013 Subaru BRZ

Like the Mazda Miata and Nissan 240SX two decades ago, the BRZ is a great reminder that a good rear-drive chassis—in this case a compact coupe with a healthy 200 bhp—can be a very rewarding car to drive. Subaru, though, says only 500 BRZs a month will be sold in the U.S. for the first year, which equates to less than one car per month at each of the company’s 600 U.S. dealers. Better get your order in now.

Last edited by Space; 03-30-2012 at 06:26 AM.