Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Member's, Do you like the 2013 Scion FR-S ?
Yes, I like it !
80.00%
No, I don't like it
20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

= = 2013 Toyota GT 86 + Veloster Turbo = =

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default = = 2013 Toyota GT 86 + Veloster Turbo = =

Hi Member's,
We have had a few member's (like myself) that like the below GT 86. I just added this thread to update member's and ask them what they think of the GT 86.? ?
Please Vote in above poll & post your comments & fill in some empty space on the MCF

Caught Testing: 2013 Toyota GT 86 / 2013 Scion FR-S Aero Kit - Spy Shots

Does this wild rear wing hint at a soaring performance model?

By Nick Kurczewski / Photos by Brenda Priddy & Company
June 26, 2012

Slideshow >>
Best Spy Shots >> <~ Link has 425 pic's of latest Spy Shots of future rides...(Click `if U wanta see)
Spy shots of the most anticipated cars testing under wraps * Get a cup of coffee (Click link) & EnJoy the Slide Show ! Then post your favorite ride, or go back to the MCF & see the lastest posts/threads ? or make a post (lol) Thanks
================================================== ===============================================<!-- future-cars/spy-photos/gallery -->

<!--/photos-video-wrapper-->
<!-- /Main photo wrapper --><!-- test output end: --><!-- the article, at a glance, downloads, top competitors, from buying guide --><!-- left column -->Not since the days of the long-departed Supra have we seen Toyota offer an aerodynamic appendage like the one fitted to this Toyota GT 86 prototype. Sold here as the Scion FR-S, the 2+2 sport coupe has been complimented for its handsome exterior and nimble driving dynamics. During our first drive of the FR-S, we noted the car’s impressive weight management and low center of gravity – lower than even the razor-sharp Porsche Cayman. Much of the credit is due the 200-bhp flat-4 cylinder engine, which is mounted as low in the car as possible and was designed and engineered by Toyota’s corporate cousin Fuji Heavy Industries (a.k.a. Subaru). The Subaru BRZ, also sold here, is a mechanical and visual twin of the FR-S.

2013 Toyota GT 86 / 2013 Scion FR-S Aero Kit

Boy Racer or Road Warrior?
This Toyota-badged prototype was caught testing at the world famous Nurburgring racetrack in Germany – the Scion variant is unique to the U.S. market. That towering rear wing is the attention getting feature, obviously, but the car also includes revised front and rear bumpers, along with new side sills. Perhaps Toyota engineers reasoned an extra tall rear spoiler would be less likely to impinge on rear visibility? Or maybe they just hired a team of 13-year-old boys to develop the company’s next generation of speed gear…

Whatever the case, the extreme aero bits hint that the FR-S might be ready to show its wild side. Subaru already hinted at a higher performance model during the 2011 Los Angeles Auto Show, when it showed the BRZ STI Concept. At the time, Subaru insisted there were no plans to turbocharge the engine or make all-wheel-drive optional. We weren’t buying it at the time, and we’re not taking the bait now.

After a protracted development process, Scion seems to have played things awfully conservative when it comes to options. Spec an FR-S online and you’ll discover one of the priciest extras is the ($845) premium audio system. Our guess is that a sportier suspension package, coupled to this aero kit, could find plenty of takers if priced at a couple grand – or slightly more, depending on the extent of mechanical upgrades.
Considering that the BRZ is already priced and marketed slightly above the FR-S, Subaru could be the lucky one to offer a turbocharged engine and/or all-wheel-drive. It might be mounted out back, but this XL-sized rear wing provides some tantalizing ideas about what is ahead for the FR-S and BRZ.

<!-- right column --><!-- at a glance --><!-- /at a glance --><!-- car make:Scion Car Buying Guide- RoadandTrack.com has Scion Car Buying Tools \nmake state: published \ncar model:Scion FR-S Car Buying Guide- Get a Quote on the Scion FR-S at RoadandTrack.com- Car Buying \nmodel state: published \nshowlink model: \nrelated_items count: 3-->TOP COMPETITORSScion FR-S »

» Overview<!-- » User Ratings -->» Photos & 360° View» Specs» Prices w/Options<!-- » Get Quote -->
More

<TABLE border=0 width=186><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>New Cars
The Real Spin: 2013 Scion FR-S >>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>First Drive
2013 Scion FR-S >>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Special Report
Scion FR-S Concept >>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>Spy Shots
Caught Testing: 2012 Scion FR-S >>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>2011 New York Auto Show
2012 Scion FR-S Five Axis Concept >>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- /rt-col -->
<!-- tags, pager -->Pages: 1 Photos

Last edited by Space; 06-27-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:00 AM

Bonus Post to let member's know what's out there on your highways...Go Race One (at the track) LOL
=============================================
2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo - First Drive

Add $4500 to the base Veloster and you get the turbo. Not a tough decision to make when buying this hot hatch.

By John Lamm / Photos by the Author
June 26, 2012

Slideshow >>
Video >>

<!--/photos-video-wrapper-->
<!-- /Main photo wrapper --><!-- test output end: --><!-- the article, at a glance, downloads, top competitors, from buying guide --><!-- left column -->When Hyundai launched its new Veloster, many buyers were happy with it for three reasons:

<STYLE type=text/css>ol#numericlist {list-style-type:decimal; padding:0px 0px 0px 20px;}ol#numericlist li, ul#bulletlist li {font-size:12px; line-height:17px; padding:0px 0px 5px 0px;}</STYLE>
  1. The Veloster's $17,450-plus-shipping base price
  2. A 3-door body style on a quirky-but-distinct exterior design
  3. 29 city/40 highway EPA mileage in a time of soaring fuel prices
Video window may take a few moments to load...<CENTER></CENTER>

According to Hyundai, they are selling all the all the Velosters they can get...and wish they could get more in to sell.
That said, the Veloster is, however, simply too slow for many potential buyers, suffering from a 0-60 time somewhere around the 9 second mark. And this is where the turbo engine comes in to save the day. It's the same one we first saw at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show, and will run you an extra $4500.

2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

The Specs
Main point of interest is the 1.6-liter direct-injected four with 201 bhp (versus the normal model's 138) and 195 lb-ft of torque (up from 123). And that's on regular gas. The turbo is a twin-scroll that has the turbine housing as a part of the lightweight stainless steel exhaust manifold. The turbo's wastegate is motor driven to more tightly control boost pressure. Max boost is 18 psi.

Now the Veloster's acceleration more closely matches the car's moniker. We're guessing about 6.5 sec 0-60, in the same ballpark as competition like VW's Beetle Turbo, GTI and the Honda Civic Si. Just as important, the Veloster feels right for its image. No more wading through the gearbox to gain momentum. That gearbox, by the way, could be a 6-speed manual or automatic, the latter with paddle shifters.
What Else?
The added cost for the turbo includes any number of features from leather seating surfaces to LED headlamps to a designer headliner to electroluminescent gauges to specific 18-in. alloy wheels.

Missing is the usual line about "stiffer springs and shocks to go with the added power." Hyundai was happy enough with the settings of the McPherson strut front/V-torsion beam rear designs, right down to their anti-roll bars' stiffness, so there's no change non-turbo to turbo. There is, however, a faster ratio in the electric power steering.
Despite its added horsepower, the Turbo Veloster still gets admirable fuel mileage. The manual transmission version is rated at 26 mpg city/38 mpg highway and the automatic at 25 mpg city/34 mpg highway.

For some that still won't be enough thanks to one fact: the Veloster's polarizing exterior design. With the Turbo the car's appearance gets a bit more aggressive, going to an open maw look to the grille. There's added detailing along the sills, while at the back a spoiler off the top of the rear decklid gives that angle a more finished-off look. Dual exhausts add a performance touch in back.
Most likely the Veloster will remain an acquired taste for many enthusiasts, but with the added power of the turbo and only a minimal penalty in fuel economy an important barrier for some potential buyers vaporizes.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Love the car! Although I think it is a little underpowered. I didn't think it would be as noticeable as it is.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:26 AM

Hi Happy Birthday Boy Mod `Mike,
I think I know the two member's so far that voted that they liked `it... Wish I could have won the Lotto & got you one 4 your B.D...I do think that there will be a `turbo model in the future & maybe a AWD

Old 06-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I like the updated look of the body...with the exception of the rear wing.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I like the updated look of the body...with the exception of the rear wing.

Thanks Seattle `Mike, for your truthful & honest opinion I do appreciate 4-Sure...
I also believe that the rear wing is over the `Top & would prefer a stand `up like on the Monte, or have that one deleted...(Maybe, I am growing `up ?)
p.s. Now, I think I know the first 3 voter's that like the GT 86

Old 06-27-2012, 08:45 AM

15 Year Member

I'm not so sure that they will make a turbo version.

I have read in numerous places that they don't plan on it.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:50 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Im pretty sure Subaru will have a turbo version they turbo everything lol

Old 06-27-2012, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I'm not so sure that they will make a turbo version.

I have read in numerous places that they don't plan on it.

Hi `Mike, I agree & maybe Scion may not at present..I also read everything I can about the FR-S & I think if any one of the two do it (?), it will be Subaru

FR-S, Subaru could be the lucky one to offer a turbocharged engine and/or all-wheel-drive
I guess time will reveal `if they `do or `don't
If I was ever am in the position to get one, I'd be happy with the present power..(I really like vehicles that handle & have a decent six speeds standard trans like the Honda Si's)

I did put a Turbo on my Honda when I had `it & I'm sure there will be a aftermarket company offering one for the Scion.. EveryOne always wants more POWER 4-Sure

Old 06-27-2012, 08:57 AM

15 Year Member

I'm sure someone will offer it, but I think it will hit too high of a price point to then warrant buying the car.

When you get it (as cheap as it is) it shares the same tires as a Prius. Then you will probably need to upgrade the suspension and braking, the rear-end probably would need to be stronger, etc. etc. It would become a slippery slope, and I don't think that car should ever cost more than $30k.

An AWD system on a car with that low of a center of gravity would have to be risen up / would add a lot of extra weight. Another thing that car shouldn't get.

So I agree, aftermarket will have something soon. I don't think it should ever be offered from the factory. That would compete too much with the new WRX and probably be too expensive because this is just supposed to be a light-weight cheap fun car.

Quick Reply: = = 2013 Toyota GT 86 + Veloster Turbo = =