Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= = = Winter Driving Tips = = =

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Lightbulb = = = Winter Driving Tips = = =

Winter Driving Tips Member's, post your Winter Driving Tips
How to stay safe in the snow

Posted: Nov 27, 2011

Avoid accidents this winter by following a few simple safety tips

by: Michael Zak

It was the first big snowfall of the season and I was out driving on the freeway when it happened. I had been traveling carefully, unsure that my little sedan would be able to keep traction as the snow kept piling up, when a large SUV came flying out of nowhere, attempting to pass me as if the roads were dry. Just as the SUV had gotten ahead of me, the driver lost control. The vehicle spun wildly for a few seconds and then crashed horrifically into the median with a sickening crunch.

Somehow, the driver was unhurt. Many others, however, are not so lucky. Each and every winter, people are injured or killed because they are unprepared or overconfident on snowy, icy roads.

The following rules for driving safely in winter weather are not particularly difficult to follow and doing so will keep you much safer on snowy roads. Even if you are a veteran driver from a snow belt state and don't give venturing out in a blizzard much of a second thought, keeping these safety tips fresh in your mind can keep you on the road and in control.

1. Make sure you and your car are properly equipped before you leave.

Do a quick check of your vehicle before you hit the road. Make sure that your car has ample antifreeze, the windshield is clean and you have plenty of windshield washer fluid, the headlights are clean and in working order and the tires have tread and are properly inflated. Also, make sure to have your battery tested, to avoid being stranded in the cold with a car that won't start.

In addition to your vehicle's mechanical equipment, it's important to keep some extra items in the trunk or glove box in case of emergency. Equip your car with a flashlight and extra batteries, a first aid kit, warm clothes, and a blanket. Remember to have sunglasses in the car as well. It always amazes me how many people I see driving in the winter without them. The glare of the sun off of snow and ice can be more intense in the winter than it is in the summer.

One last thing to remember, perhaps the most important of all: Your cell phone.

2. Slow down and drive smoothly.

This may seem like a no-brainer, but even if you're driving an SUV or a four-wheel-drive truck, you cannot safely do 80 mph during a snowstorm. Four-wheel-drive may help your vehicle get going in the slushy stuff, but it's of no use when you're trying to steer or safely stop on a slippery road surface.

It is also important to avoid abrupt acceleration, braking and turns. Doing so can cause your vehicle to lose traction and can launch you into an uncontrollable skid, leading to a collision.

Driving too quickly is the main cause of accidents in winter conditions. Just be patient and accept the fact that it is going to take longer to arrive at your destination.

3. Do not tailgate.

It is important to remember that it takes a much longer distance to stop your vehicle in the snow or ice due to the greatly reduced traction, even with just a light covering on the road. You may think that the driver in front of you doing 35 mph on the freeway is going too slow and needs a reminder in the form of you riding their bumper, but doing so is dangerous. Be patient and stay back until it's safe to pass.

Tailgating often leads to accidents, especially if you are driving in stop-and-go traffic. If the car in front of you stops abruptly and you are following too closely, you can reflexively slam on the brakes and end up sliding into it. The resulting accident may be no more than a fender-bender, but having to deal with it on a busy road in the snow is certainly something that you want to avoid, especially if other cars are sliding around as well. Many serious accident injuries come from a second impact from another car after a seemingly trivial collision.

4. Do not use cruise control.

For some, driving with cruise control has become almost second nature. Sure, it prevents you from getting leg fatigue, keeps you from unwittingly speeding and is great on long trips, but driving with it on in winter conditions can be unsafe. Thus, if cruise control has become a staple of your driving habits, make a conscious effort to ensure that you are not using it in winter weather.

Using cruise control in the snow, ice or even rain is dangerous because if your car hydroplanes or skids, it will accelerate and rapidly spin the wheels since it will be trying to maintain a constant speed. If this happens, it will be more likely that you lose control of your vehicle.

5. Pull over or stay home.

If at any point during your trip -- or before you even leave -- you feel that the weather is too bad to continue driving, simply stay put. If you're out on the road, find a safe spot to pull over and wait until the weather passes or calms to the point where you feel comfortable driving again. If you haven't left yet, stay home and off the roads.

Remember, there is no shame in making the logical decision to stay in when the conditions are bad. You may be late arriving to your destination, but arriving late in one piece is much better than the alternative. Your boss or significant other will understand.

Last edited by Space; 11-28-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Winter driving tip #6: Move somewhere warmer and say goodbye to winter driving. :p Have I mentioned once or twice? WINTER SUCKS!!!

Thanks for the tips Space.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

^^^Says the Canadian...

Old 11-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
^^^Says the Canadian...
I'm about as far south as you can get, and still be in Canada. In fact, I have to look north to see Detroit, MI. (if you google map Windsor, Ontario you'll see what I mean)

I may not get the harsh winters that more northern Canadians get. But regardless, winter still sucks.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 AM

Youre right Taz. In Fla, winter driving means 'roll down the windows! Its beautiful out!'

Old 11-28-2011, 09:28 AM

I can't wait to try 2 drive in snow/ice, but I sure would not want to drive it with a nice Monte Carlo 4-Sure...
I would be freaking `out...I think I would want a AWD vehicle for winter (or a SnowBoard: )..
Below are more tips from AAA
=======================
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height=21><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" background=../Images/GreyBarBG.gif><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallHead>Winter Driving Tips

</TD><TD height=21 width=7></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD height=5></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height=6 width=7></TD><TD height=6 background=../Images/StrPanel-tc.gif></TD><TD height=6 width=7></TD></TR><TR><TD background=../Images/StrPanel-cl.gif width=7></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Severe weather can be both frightening and dangerous for automobile travel. Motorists should know the safety rules for dealing with winter road emergencies. AAA reminds motorists to be cautious while driving in adverse weather. For more information on winter driving, the association offers the How to Go on Ice and Snow brochure, available through most AAA offices. Contact your local AAA representative for more information.
AAA recommends the following winter driving tips:
  • Avoid driving while you're fatigued. Getting the proper amount of rest before taking on winter weather tasks reduces driving risks.
  • Never warm up a vehicle in an enclosed area, such as a garage.
  • Make certain your tires are properly inflated.
  • Never mix radial tires with other tire types.
  • Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze-up.
  • If possible, avoid using your parking brake in cold, rainy and snowy weather.
  • Do not use cruise control when driving on any slippery surface (wet, ice, sand).
  • Always look and steer where you want to go.
  • Use your seat belt every time you get into your vehicle.
Tips for long-distance winter trips:
  • Watch weather reports prior to a long-distance drive or before driving in isolated areas. Delay trips when especially bad weather is expected. If you must leave, let others know your route, destination and estimated time of arrival.
  • Always make sure your vehicle is in peak operating condition by having it inspected by a AAA Approved Auto Repair facility.
  • Keep at least half a tank of gasoline in your vehicle at all times.
  • Pack a cellular telephone with your local AAA's telephone number, plus blankets, gloves, hats, food, water and any needed medication in your vehicle.
  • If you become snow-bound, stay with your vehicle. It provides temporary shelter and makes it easier for rescuers to locate you. Don't try to walk in a severe storm. It's easy to lose sight of your vehicle in blowing snow and become lost.
  • Don't over exert yourself if you try to push or dig your vehicle out of the snow.
  • Tie a brightly colored cloth to the antenna or place a cloth at the top of a rolled up window to signal distress. At night, keep the dome light on if possible. It only uses a small amount of electricity and will make it easier for rescuers to find you.
  • Make sure the exhaust pipe isn't clogged with snow, ice or mud. A blocked exhaust could cause deadly carbon monoxide gas to leak into the passenger compartment with the engine running.
  • Use whatever is available to insulate your body from the cold. This could include floor mats, newspapers or paper maps.
  • If possible run the engine and heater just long enough to remove the chill and to conserve gasoline.
Tips for driving in the snow:
  • Accelerate and decelerate slowly. Applying the gas slowly to accelerate is the best method for regaining traction and avoiding skids. Don't try to get moving in a hurry. And take time to slow down for a stoplight. Remember: It takes longer to slow down on icy roads.
  • Drive slowly. Everything takes longer on snow-covered roads. Accelerating, stopping, turning - nothing happens as quickly as on dry pavement. Give yourself time to maneuver by driving slowly.
  • The normal dry pavement following distance of three to four seconds should be increased to eight to ten seconds. This increased margin of safety will provide the longer distance needed if you have to stop.
  • Know your brakes. Whether you have antilock brakes or not, the best way to stop is threshold breaking. Keep the heel of your foot on the floor and use the ball of your foot to apply firm, steady pressure on the brake pedal.
  • Don't stop if you can avoid it. There's a big difference in the amount of inertia it takes to start moving from a full stop versus how much it takes to get moving while still rolling. If you can slow down enough to keep rolling until a traffic light changes, do it.
  • Don't power up hills. Applying extra gas on snow-covered roads just starts your wheels spinning. Try to get a little inertia going before you reach the hill and let that inertia carry you to the top. As you reach the crest of the hill, reduce your speed and proceed down hill as slowly as possible.
  • Don't stop going up a hill. There's nothing worse than trying to get moving up a hill on an icy road. Get some inertia going on a flat roadway before you take on the hill.
  • Stay home. If you really don't have to go out, don't. Even if you can drive well in the snow, not everyone else can. Don't tempt fate: If you don't have somewhere you have to be, watch the snow from indoors.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 11-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

Back on topic...

I started putting snow tires on the monte a couple years ago. Two reasons really. One, for better traction. And two, to save my rims the ravages of winter.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Winter Tires, and give yourself time to get places.

You need patience and traction to survive winter driving.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:38 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Winters arnt to bad around here usually but wen it snows & ices out i just drive nice & slow & take my time,

Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
Back on topic...

I started putting snow tires on the monte a couple years ago. Two reasons really. One, for better traction. And two, to save my rims the ravages of winter.

`Lou `Taz, I think that was a wise investment, not just not to protect your rims, but also for getting out...I hope in your future that you get a garage with a home + a winter beater car (Yugo) or something to keep your SuperCharged Monte in your Auto BedRoom : )
============================================
20 Ways to Beat Old Man Winter

Many believe spring and summer are the best times to wash and wax our cars, which is true for us, but not necessarily our cars. The season that destroys cars is winter, what with all the dirt, corrosive road salts and melting snow. Unfortunately the damage often goes unnoticed until it�s too late for a cheap fix. Car care by definition is anything that provides direct service to the vehicle. But what about common sense maintenance?

Connecticut-based zym�l Enterprises, makers of high-quality car care products since 1980, says there are at least 20 easy ways to increase the service life of your car, keeping it looking great through this winter and many winters to come. Zym�l products and other car care tips are available online at www.zymol.com
  1. FORGET DAD. Don�t get us wrong - we love dads. They just don�t know much about car care. We�ve been instructed to wax the car every spring and fall, but dad would never suggest doing anything to the car in winter because, in many cases, he didn�t have a warm garage in which to work. So first and foremost find a relatively warm location to do these simple winter maintenance tasks.
  2. PREPARE. The best preparation is obtaining the shop maintenance manual for your car, which provides extremely detailed maintenance recommendations. It�s available through your local dealer or the factory. Most service intervals are mileage based, which means the tasks you should perform, or have performed, are keyed to how many miles are on your car. The manuals also have a general maintenance section that will tell you what needs to be performed and when. If you can�t get a shop manual, follow the guidelines in your car�s owner�s manual.
  3. PREPARE SOME MORE: Have you ever felt the frustration of trying to fix something without the right tools? Basic auto maintenance tools include a set of screwdrivers, a good quality socket set, a wash and rinse area that includes warm water, clean terry towels and good quality non-acidic, non-abrasive cleaners, conditioners and waxes. Mix all of the above with common sense, pride and a sense of perfection and you have an unbeatable combination that even old man winter will retreat from.
  4. FIND TROUBLE BEFORE IT FINDS YOU: Practice investigative maintenance. For example, today�s aerodynamic cars shed water via hidden channels and drains. These collect all sorts of materials like dead bugs, leaves, silt and sand. If you don�t keep them clear, water can collect inside the car�s body. When it freezes in winter it can distort panels or even break unseen parts. It also promotes smelly mildew, deteriorates paint and eventually causes the car to rust from the inside out.
  5. BE ONE STEP AHEAD OF OLD MAN WINTER: Wash your car more frequently during the winter and don�t forget to wash underneath the car. Most icy roads are kept clear and safe with a corrosive mixture of sand and salt. Ironically, this can cause more costly damage to your car than losing a fender to a guardrail or bending a wheel on a curb. If you do this yourself, add three tablespoons of baking soda to your undercarriage wash water to neutralize the salt and arrest it�s treacherous activities.
  6. A CLEAN MACHINE IS YOUR DREAM MACHINE: Cleaning goes well beyond wash and dry. Just removing surface road grime won�t protect your paint from the effects of acid rain and snow, or protect it from the exhaust emissions from the car in front of you. Painted surfaces must be deep cleaned in winter to remove sub-surface contaminants before moisture and a warm winter afternoon (+38�F) reactivate them.
  7. WAX OR WANE: No single action on your part does more to protect your car�s finish, and your investment, than waxing during the winter. Mid-winter waxing is not only a smart way to inspect your car for new damage but it provides a strong barrier to road sand and salt. Only you can decide how much protection you want against old man winter.
  8. WHEEL OF FORTUNE: Have you thought about your wheels during the winter? Road sand and salt mixes with snow and slush to form an abrasive and acidic paste that attacks your wheels with a vengeance. This attack is fueled by the wheel�s temperature, which increases during operation. Rinse wheels as often as possible, before driving, to dilute the salt attacking them. Wash wheels with a non-acidic, non-caustic wheel cleaner, then, unless they are chrome, wax them. Let the wax take the abuse. Not your wallet.
  9. YOUR WINDOW ON THE WORLD CAN DESTROY IT: You�ve seen what happens to your windows during a wet winter day. They turn caulk white and become almost impossible to see through. Using the windshield washers to clean this off works fine, but the alcohol in the familiar blue fluid strips off any wax you�ve applied to the body, leaving paint open to the elements. Use high quality window solvents, diluting them to their maximum level and try to limit their use safely.
  10. CLOAK AND DAGGER: The best protection against winter is not to drive in it, but for many of us this is impossible. The second best protection is a proper maintenance regiment that doesn�t stop when the weather gets cold. On the contrary, it should increase when the elements are at their worst. Try to garage your car whenever possible. After washing and drying it, use a breathable car cover to prevent ice and soot damage.
  11. TO FREEZE OR NOT TO FREEZE: Engines, like people, need to keep their temperatures in check in order to operate efficiently. A proper anti-freeze mixture keeps engine coolant from freezing in the winter. Left unchecked however, this mixture can lose its effectiveness, leading to major problems. Make sure your anti-freeze mixture and engine cooling system are clean and topped off by following manufacturer guidelines. It�s also a good idea to occasionally rinse the radiator of road salt (make sure it�s cool first) and check underhood belt and hose conditions periodically.
  12. BE PREPARED TO CHANGE: Your engine and transmission receive more abuse during the winter. Cold starts, when lubricating fluids are thick as molasses, causes immediate wear and tear due to lack of lubrication. Change your engine and transmission oils regularly, also following manufacturer guidelines. Use only the oil grade and viscosity called for in your car�s owner�s manual.
  13. THAT OLD CLOTH COAT: Cloth seats and upholstery feel best in winter because they reflect heat quickly and are generally warm to the touch. But cloth can be easily damaged by exposure to oils from your skin, fur coats, and even the air. These oils combine with dirt and silt to form a sticky adhesive that continually attracts more dirt to eventually stain the material permanently. Clean your interior often. If at all possible Scotch Guard� your cloth upholstery to make the next cleaning easier.
  14. UGH! IT�S SNOWING: Brushing snow from a car is sometimes a necessary evil. Be very careful when removing snow and ice. Unless you just washed the car, that snow fell on a dirty surface. Carelessly brushing off snow is doing no less than scraping abrasives across the paint. Be gentle. Lightly use a soft brush in a short, straight pattern without removing all of the snow and ice. DO NOT scrape ice off body panels. It�s unnecessary and can only do harm. And NEVER use warm water to clear a windshield or headlights of ice since the temperature difference can cause the glass to break on contact -- not a cheap repair.
  15. ALL THE TRIMMINGS: Exterior trim and moldings are prone to more winter damage because they trap salt and dirt and even worse become brittle in very cold temperatures. Use a high quality vinyl and trim protectant. Stay away from those with heavy silicone and formaldehyde treatments that will dry and crack your trim.
  16. THE SHINING: Never wax chrome. Chrome needs oxygen to keep its appearance. Wax traps moisture and can cause unsightly bluing and pitting. Clean chrome with a good pre-wax cleaner and leave it alone.
  17. THE MAGIC CARPET: Floor mats usually provide carpets enough protection during the mild months, but when your shoes bring in snow, ice and dirt things can get bad. Use heavy-duty rubber floor mats to catch this filth, and place silica gel bags under the seats to absorb any excess moisture in the air.
  18. SADDLE UP: Temperature change, improper maintenance and simple use will permanently damage the delicate finish of your leather upholstery and trim. Solvent-based cleaners and conditioners actually accelerate the aging process. Use small amounts of solvent-free leather feeding products on warm leather. Do not use water.
  19. INSTANT GASOLINE? Tempted to buy a bottle of Dry Gas to keep fuel lines from freezing up? This methanol product bonds with water molecules and forces them safely through your system. Unfortunately methanol can devour plastic fuel lines and electric fuel pump diaphragms. Be sure to use only factory recommended gas additives.
  20. COMMON SENSE, THE BEST PROTECTION: Take the time to look over your car once a week. Look for new threats to your investment. If you are truly involved with your car and want to keep it, treat it well. The extra cost in maintenance is a small price for maximum investment insurance. Protecting your car is not a chore, it�s an opportunity; an opportunity to beat old man winter at his own game and, if done correctly, keep some of your hard earned dollars�yours.

Quick Reply: = = = Winter Driving Tips = = =