Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

== GM's 464 HP/444 LB FT 3.6 V6 ==

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 11:15 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up == GM's 464 HP/444 LB FT 3.6 V6 ==

The 2016 Cadillac ATS-V Is More of an M3 Than an M3

It's all about balance. Hi Member's, do you like this GM Twin Turbo V6 ? Post your comments "OK"

Road & Track

By Travis Okulski

The BMW M3 has always been the sports sedan that has kept all of its ingredients in balance. It never had an engine that would overpower the chassis, the footprint was just right, and it had all the ingredients of a race car turned to road use.
But the current M3 has had a change in ethos. The change to turbo power resulted in a car that had the same horsepower as before, but a torque curve like the M3 had never seen. It suddenly wasn't a car that had the joy of developing its power at the top of the range, it now had thrust everywhere.
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

Combine that with the larger F80 platform that the new M3 rides on, and it felt distinctly more like a Bavarian muscle car than a precision instrument. It's a pretty stark change for a car that had defined its segment for decades.

BMW

Is the Cadillac ATS-V Better Than a BMW M3 on the …

And now, with the ATS-V, Cadillac is building the M3 BMW should have .
Let that sink in for a second, because it's something you thought you'd probably never hear.
In order for Cadillac to be taken seriously as a luxury performance brand, since that's what they are now, they needed a car that could be considered a competitor with the M3. That means that they took the ATS-V very, very seriously.
It has a twin-turbo V6 instead of a V8, because that allows them to keep the weight down and move the engine further back. Cadillac was also adamant that they are "not in the Hellcat business." The car is overcooled, meaning that there is no option package to get more vents or anything, that all comes standard. There's a standard differential cooler. The traction control system is derived from the system that's on the ATS race car. Every single body modification to the outside of the car is functional.

Cadillac

And while the V weighs about 300 pounds more than the M3, it feels lighter, smaller (it is slightly smaller), and more alive. On track, the M3 just feels big. The ATS doesn't.
On Monticello Motor Club's challenging 4.1 mile track, the ATS feels like it belongs. The electric steering, which is still a work in progress for every manufacturer, is pretty good, not great, but pretty good. It's definitely better than the setup in the M3, which, as we found out on our first drive, is essentially the same as the M3 so geometry is the difference.
The 464 HP/444 LB FT 3.6 V6 is a powerhouse, as long as you can get around the lag at lower revs. Some of Monticello's slower third gear corners require this car to be driven as if it's an older, laggy beast. Get on the throttle before you think you should, and by the time you hit your true acceleration point, the turbos will come on line and you'll be firing out of the corner.
That power is all sent through either a Tremec six-speed manual or GM's eight speed automatic. Both are great transmissions, but the manual is the one to get. Shocker. It's been engineered for no lift shifts and has auto rev match that you can turn on or off. Systems like that usually annoy me to death, but this one is actually really, really good. Nearly Porsche good. The V is faster with the auto, but the manual is more involving. Now you just need to go buy the manual, because the take rate is a planned 20 percent, but insiders suggest the actual rate will be closer to 10 percent, which doesn't really leave them much of a bargaining chip to continue to develop a manual in the future.

Cadillac

It doesn't lack for top end with either gearbox, with Monticello's long straight seeing the speedo get near as makes no difference to 150 MPH.
Thankfully, the standard steel Brembo brakes are fantastic. The pedal can get long after a number of laps, but they never fade. ABS jumps in only when it is very needed and it's welcome. I ran in/abused the same car all day and had no issues with the brakes going away.
Once you are slowed down for a corner, the ATS is your toy. It's pretty neutral on corner entry, maybe a slight push, though that may be more because of an over optimistic speed than the tuning. Mid-corner the balance becomes distinctly more neutral with it controllable on the throttle. A heavy lift will make the tail come around, but you can correct or hold it rather easily.

Cadillac

Of course, if you're using the precision traction management system, it'll do a lot of the work for you. Like in the Corvette, PTM in the ATS-V is there to maximize performance on track. I ran the car in the most aggressive setting most of the day, Race, which only cuts in when it thinks you're a moron. It's a very smart, unobtrusive system, though if it's a lurid powerslide you're looking for, you'll want to turn everything off.
The interior, especially the gauge package, is woefully behind the times, and Cadillac understands this. Buyers in this class are looking for a car that has a mixture of tech and performance, and right now the visibility of the tech is obscured by outdated instruments. When asked, Cadillac said they've been quietly improving the car for the last few years, so that might be an upcoming change.

Cadillac

But in the scheme of things, that doesn't really matter.
What Cadillac has built here is a car that is surprisingly good in every single way. The engine might not be the no lag thrustmaster that sits in the front of the M3, but I tend to think that adds to the charm of this car. It is indeed a work in progress, progress being the optimum word there. There's something far less sterile about the ATS-V than its German and Japanese counterparts, it feels more like it's the result of people building something they want rather than the solution to an exacting equation.
That's what makes it akin to the older M3s. This is a car that was built to be fun, and it just so happens that the fun has transferred to real, tangible performance. Drive one and you'll understand.

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 10-02-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:28 AM
Talking >Free Movie below<

Click above 2 `go 4 a ride
It's fun
Cadillac's designated M3-killer is the ATS-V. It's more compact than the CTS-V, and it has a twin turbo V6 engine that makes more power than the M3. But is it better? Matt Farah isn't so sure.
He claims the turn in on the ATS-V is sharp as hell, but the downshifts in the automatic eight-speed are delayed and not the smoothest. The engine also doesn't have the "snappiness" of the M3's engine.
While we agree about the engine, our recent track test of the ATS-V left us with the impression that it was more fun on the track than the M3, but a recent road drive did make us think the M3 has an edge on spirited backroads.

What the ATS-V needs to keep up with the M3, he concludes, are ideal driving conditions so that the car can play to its strengths. It performs wonderfully under full throttle, and preferably when it's cooler out, as the non-final preproduction car he previously tested overheated (and Cadillac has told us that was an issue with that one particular car and all has been resolved) and went into limp mode. See the video to hear what else Matt has to say.

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 10-02-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Talking = BONUS > Just 4 Fun > Click below >EnJoy<

Hi Member's,
I like the below vid better then the above.
Check out the 1/4 mile times

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 10-02-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:02 PM
Old 10-02-2015, 12:11 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Yeah, I think I will have to get them to let me take EACH car to the track and I will be able to make my decision!!!! LOL

Old 10-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Talking >2 Dare 2 Dream >4-$ure<

Hi `Barbara & thanks for being the first to post on this thread. Hopefully you will Win a Big Lotto & be able to have them all or the ones you desire.

I've been away from the net & found so many vid's & sites that I want to explore. I just don't know how anyone can ever get bored `if they have a connection to the World Wide Web.

I hope a few member's enjoy the above posts/vid's. I'm just filling in some empty `space on the MCF to keep it active Being here also reminds me of our friend `Space + his love of auto's.

I was really impressed with the Hell-Cat WoW....that's a Lotto winning choice 4-Sure!
I'd like a Black One

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 10-02-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:54 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Those black Hell Cats are sharp!!!

Old 10-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I really like the interior of the caddy that looks sweet. I would have to drive each car as I have always been a fan of the M3 but the caddy would probably be a great choice.

Hands down though the Hellcat would be a sweet yet scary ride, but I am sure I would grow accustom to it hehehe one of the local dealers in my area has the Charger Hellcat with a $75, 000.00 price tag it puts it just a tad out of my wallet's reach though lol

Old 10-02-2015, 02:19 PM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I think they need to put the caddy racing style seats in the Hell Cat!!! LOL

Old 10-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Question ????Question for Everyone ????

How much would you pay to drive a HellCat @ a 1/4 mile Track ?
$100 ? $ 50 ? more or less ? Post how much you would pay for this thrill ride ? (Maybe I will start a business) >