Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

*Classic Cars * AutoWeek*>Click<

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question *Classic Cars * AutoWeek*>Click<

CLASSIC CARS * MCF Member's, Explore the below reviews, articles, etc from AutoWeekend >Enjoy<

CAR LIFE

Why it's a 'Jeep' and not a 'Leaping Lena'BY LARRY P. VELLEQUETTE, AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - 07/14/2016 - It's one of the eternal mysteries surrounding Jeep: Where does the name come from?There is no shortage of theories.Was the name in homage to a character in the "Popeye" comic strip from ...

Throttle-Back Thursday: The golden Austin-Healey that we’re still scratching our heads aboutBY ZAC PALMER - 07/14/2016 - If you were to cover your car in gold today, many might think you’re a Saudi prince with questionable taste. A few decades ago in Great Britain, a 1958 Austin-Healey 100-6 got just such a ...

2017 Bentley Mulsanne first drive: Uncompromised eleganceBY MURILEE MARTIN - 07/14/2016 - For the rich and powerful man who has everything -- or at any rate, the rich and powerful man who has three high-end SUVs and a Porsche or Ferrari already in the garage, according to the calculations ...

Gallery: 1955 International R110BY KENNY KROEKER - 07/13/2016 - 1955 International R110

Acura NSX will come in different flavors, and yes, one is a Type RBY ZAC PALMER - 07/13/2016 - Good as it is, the new Acura NSX is not the pure sports car that came out of Japan in 1991: That NSX had a mid-mounted naturally aspirated 3.0-liter V6 that spins to 8,000 rpm, ...

When the family Granada refuses to die, trade it for an MG Midget grilleBY MURILEE MARTIN - 07/12/2016 - In 1980, with memories of the 1979 energy crisis and California's enforcement of odd-even-day gasoline rationing still fresh, my parents bought a low-mile 1979 Ford Granada sedan from a rental-car ...

This Blue & Orange Lotus Evora 400 is 1 of 10 (and possibly sold out)BY JAKE LINGEMAN - 07/12/2016 - Lotus fans have chosen the racing color scheme for the niche British manufacturer's next extra-special special edition. Just 10 examples of the Evora 400 will receive Blue & Orange edition ...

Future of Wrangler: Here’s what we know about Jeep's next off-road iconBY ZAC PALMER - 07/11/2016 - The Jeep Wrangler doesn’t change much, ever. But an evolution of the current vehicle is coming in 2018, and it looks like efficiency will be the number one goal.Automotive News had a ...

Evos rule Mitsubishi Owners’ Day 2016BY MARK VAUGHN - 07/11/2016 - Like supplicants on the way to a revival, we climbed into our Lancer Evo Final Edition and drove down to Cypress to join in with the faithful who love Mitsubishi. Off the freeway, on the last stretch ...

Leno on his 'Hemi Under Glass' barrel roll: 'Cuda been worseBY JAY LENO - 07/11/2016 - By now, you’ve probably seen the footage of my rollover in the "Hemi Under Glass." It’s been all over YouTube.It started as a simple bucket list idea. When I was a kid, Bob ...

The 1982 Oldsmobile Omega or a featureless white econobox?BY MURILEE MARTIN - 07/11/2016 - The 1980-1984 Oldsmobile Omega was a compact car based on the quality-challenged Chevrolet Citation, and it wasn't exactly the finest moment in the Oldsmobile division's history. Still, it ...

7 coolest foreign cars from Greenwich Concours EuropaBY JAY RAMEY - 07/08/2016 - The annual Greenwich Concours is two events in one, with American cars taking the field on Saturday, yielding the floor to classics from elsewhere in the world on Sunday for Concours Europa. ...

2016 Hilton Head Concours honors collectors Jeff Lane and Miles CollierBY JAKE LINGEMAN - 07/08/2016 - The 2016 Hilton Head Island Motoring Festival and Concours d’Elegance -- which we’ll just call the Hilton Head Concours in the rest of this article -- will honor two famous ...

1941 Plymouth Road Racer Project: Rolling chassis!BY MURILEE MARTIN - 07/08/2016 - In the last installment of the saga of my 1941 Plymouth Special Deluxe sedan road-racer project, we saw how crazed Denver fabricator and engineer Rich von Sneidern hacked up the original Plymouth ...

1966 Ford Mustang GT350-H stars in latest 'Jay Leno’s Garage'BY WESLEY WREN - 07/07/2016 - In 1966, Hertz jumped in the performance car game with 1,000 special edition Shelby GT350-H Mustangs. The program called “Rent-a-Racer” was fabled to be a cheap source for ...

Throttle-Back Thursday: Denise McCluggage chases giants on the Mille Miglia, Italy's greatest raceBY GRAHAM KOZAK - 07/07/2016 - Even casual students of motorsports history know about the Mille Miglia, the 1,000-mile Italian road race that ran (war years excepted) from 1927 to 1957. The drivers who participated, Stirling Moss, ...

Mustang Club of America celebrates 40 years this SeptemberBY WESLEY WREN - 07/07/2016 - The Mustang Club of America will celebrate 40 active years of all things Mustang from Sept. 1-4 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Included in the lineup will be track events, ...

In 1974, a new BMW Bavaria told the world you were going placesBY MURILEE MARTIN - 07/07/2016 - Digging through dusty boxes for interesting old car photos, I ran across a January, 1974 San Francisco Chronicle sports section, used as packing material. Inside, way inside, among the sport-fishing ...

Jaguar XKSS continuation will debut at the Los Angeles auto showBY JAKE LINGEMAN - 07/06/2016 - The gorgeous continuation Jaguar XKSS will make its debut at the Los Angeles auto show later this year. Jaguar Classic is building nine examples, all of which have been sold, to the exact specs of its ...

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 07-15-2016 at 04:50 AM. Reason: 2 add more auto links for U 2 C >EnJoy<
Old 07-15-2016, 05:02 AM
Smile >So many choices to choose ? >EnJoy your Search <

CAR REVIEWS

2017 Bentley Mulsanne first drive: Uncompromised eleganceBY MURILEE MARTIN - 07/14/2016

CAR NEWS

Patagonia by Subaru: Six AWD cars in the prettiest place on earthBY RORY CARROLL - 07/12/2016

CAR REVIEWS

2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature review: More fun if you fitBY WES RAYNAL - 07/11/2016

CAR REVIEWS

2017 Mercedes-Benz GLC300 Coupe first driveBY WESLEY WREN - 07/08/2016

CAR REVIEWS

Autoweek in review: Everything you missed July 4-8BY AUTOWEEK EDITORS - 07/08/2016

CAR REVIEWS

2017 Subaru BRZ first drive: Refreshed styling, (slightly) more powerBY WES RAYNAL - 07/07/2016

RALLY

We rally a Toyota RAV4 with Ryan MillenBY MARK VAUGHN - 07/07/2016

CAR REVIEWS

2016 Cadillac CT6 Premium Luxury AWD reviewBY ANDREW STOY - 07/06/2016 - There was a lot of hand-wringing over what, specifically, the CT6 is supposed to be -- what niche it fills -- in our look at the four-cylinder model a few weeks back. Now that I've spent some time ...

CAR REVIEWS

2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible reviewBY AUTOWEEK EDITORS - 07/05/2016 - I never turn down a chance to drive a muscle car, whether it’s a Ford, Dodge or Chevrolet. The Camaro is a big improvement over the outgoing model. It’s a little cartoonish and I still ...

CAR REVIEWS

2016 Lincoln Navigator L 4X4 Reserve: Quick takeBY WES RAYNAL - 07/05/2016 - Lincoln Navigator L Highlights: Huge cabin, big ***** for radio volume and tuning. There must be a ton of sound deadeners because this baby is quiet on the road. Steering is decent. A V6 in a truck ...

CAR REVIEWS

2016 Dodge Charger SXT review: A burly 'Murican sedan (thanks to the Canadians and Italians)BY JAY RAMEY - 07/01/2016 - The Dodge Charger is now in its second year of an update that brought a Dart-style front fascia and a number of other new design elements. In fact, every body panel was altered with this update, not ...

CAR REVIEWS

Autoweek in review: Everything you missed June 27-July 1BY AUTOWEEK EDITORS - 07/01/2016 - Autoweek in review is where we bring you the biggest stories in the car world that you might have missed this week. Whether you were actually getting some work done or you stepped away from your ...

DRIVE REVIEWS

Ferrari GTC4Lusso first drive: 3 Alpine passes in 3 hours in a 4-seat FerrariBY MARK VAUGHN - 06/30/2016 - There are beautiful mountains in the world, sure, but then there are The Dolomites, scrunched up into the northeastern corner of Italy just south of the Alps and molded by hand in a cooperative ...

CAR REVIEWS

2016 Subaru Legacy review: Sometimes sensible shoes fit bestBY GRAHAM KOZAK - 06/29/2016 - We spill a lot of ink on the Subaru WRX and BRZ, and we all seem to love the Crosstrek -- a car so straightforward and simple, it’s cool in a throwback sort of way. It’s not ...

CAR LIFE

'Top Gear USA' is dead: Here are 5 shows to fill the voidBY WESLEY WREN - 06/28/2016 - Despite getting better over time, the American leg of "Top Gear" recently got the ax from the History channel. While the channel is presumably replacing it with shows actually about ...

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 07-15-2016 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:21 AM
Arrow Bonus for MCF Camaro `Tadd<

2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible review for MCF Member Tadd +

July 5, 2016

1 of 112016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS ConvertiblePhoto by Chevrolet

You don’t need good weather, but it helps

I never turn down a chance to drive a muscle car, whether it’s a Ford, Dodge or Chevrolet. The Camaro is a big improvement over the outgoing model. It’s a little cartoonish and I still can’t see out the back, but the ’16 is a different car -- better looking, lighter, more wieldy, more comfortable and refined, and thus more pleasant and more fun to drive.
Power isn’t an issue -- it never was-- nor is the nice growl the V8 emits. Yes, it’s fast. Really fast. Chevrolet says the car should hit 60 mph in four seconds. I have no doubt. Handling? Much improved. The SS goes after corners eagerly and stays flat through them, but the ride is a lot better now. Potholes and such seemed to upset the car quite a bit less than I remember in the previous Camaro. It sort of like a combination of the old car’s hotrodisms, but now with more finesse. There’s a delicacy here that wasn’t there before.
Interior quality was a big topic when the new car was launched, but to me it’s still dodgy, depending on what you’re looking at. The touchscreen is fine, panel gaps look good, but some materials, say, the top of the dash, could be better. That said, the front seats are more comfortable and supportive than the old car’s, and as I said, the view out the back is tough, though not tough enough to make me want to give up the high beltline and low roof.
Overall it’s an impressive hot rod.

2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS Convertible Photo by Chevrolet

OTHER VOICES:
It's hard to take the prevailing weather out of a car review, considering how much it can affect the driving experience; in this case, a cloudless summer weekend and a Camaro SS match up so well I'm not even going to try. I put the top up before I went to bed at night, but it was down the rest of the time, save for one interstate stretch when I had to take a phone call (yes, handsfree).
The verdict? I was inventing errands so I could drive the car. The kids got ice cream three nights in a row. I became "that guy" on Woodward Avenue Saturday evening, entertaining myself with the crackling wide-open exhaust roar. Yes, it's a flashy 455-hp convertible, so none of this should surprise, but I was fairly tough on the Camaro the last time I drove one -- a stick-shifted turbo-four coupe.
More horsepower and the absence of a top fixes a lot of stuff, granted, but in this case, the automatic was an important change. GM stuck the car's diagnostic port directly above the clutch pedal on our previous stick-shifted car, making it miserable for me to shift; no clutch pedal, no problem on this automatic SS. No, it's not as engaging as a proper manual, but let's face it: A convertible Camaro is a muscle cruiser; with this much damn power plus a performance-tuned automatic, having one pedal for OMG and another for stopping is all you need.
With most convertibles, putting the top up means miserable outward visibility over a comparable hardtop model. For better or worse, the Camaro coupe's sightlines are so bad, the convertible top doesn't take much away when it's up, and when it's down it vanishes under a hard tonneau cover for a perfect panorama.
Finally there's the price, which takes this thing well out of budget muscle convertible territory. But with its updated chassis and what appears to be excellent build quality, there are few comparable ways to seat four and enjoy 455 hp with the wind in your hair.
-- Andrew Stoy, digital editor
2016 Chevrolet Camaro
OPTIONS: Magnetic ride control ($1,695); eight-speed automatic ($1,495); Exhaust, dual mode performance ($895); Chevrolet MyLink audio system w/navigation, 8-inch diagonal touchscreen, select Bluetooth streaming, Apple carplay capability provided by Apple available with compatible smartphones ($495); 20-inch 5-split spoke premium gray-painted machined-face aluminum wheels ($200)
By Autoweek Editors

READ THIS NEXT

Car Reviews

2016 Chevrolet SS review: Nondescript in the best possible way

Technology

Ford Mustang getting new 10-speed automatic transmission?

Car News

Watch: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 avoids the Nurburgring's walls

Car News

What do Mustang and Camaro have in common? Soon, more than you'd think

On Sale: Now
Base Price: $49,295
As Tested Price: $54,075
Drivetrain: 6.2-liter V8, RWD eight-speed automatic
Output: 455 hp @ 6000 rpm; 455 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm
Curb Weight: 3,685 lb
Fuel Economy: 17/28/20 mpg(EPA City/Hwy/Combined)
Pros: Visibility is greaty improved with the top down
Cons: Price puts it out of accepted muscle car territory

Related Stories
Story Topics

Car Reviews, Car News, Photo, Authors, Autoweek Editors, Other News, Review Notes, Convertible, Chevrolet, Chevrolet Camaro

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 07-15-2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:59 AM

Car News