Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you like it ?
Yes, I like it
50.00%
No, I don't
50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

* Hey GM, if Chrysler can do it, so can you * > ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:29 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default * Hey GM, if Chrysler can do it, so can you * > ?

Hi Member's, Look what Chrysler is doing
If they can bring back the Barracuda, then GM can bring back the Monte Carlo 4-Sure

Do you like the below concept ? Please Vote in above poll Post your thoughts/comments/thanks

Details Surface: Chrysler Readying SRT Barracuda to Succeed Challenger

The Pentastar's performance brand will get a second model.

</HGROUP></HEADER><TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 12px" class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=678><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Not much about the 2013 Viper deviates from the formula that made the car famous—it has a monstrous V-10, rear-wheel drive, and a manual transmission, and it still looks ready for a 10-on-1 bar fight. Branding it not a Dodge but an SRT, however, has raised eyebrows. Giving that new brand heft is a ­second model: the 2015 SRT Barracuda, the Dodge Challenger’s replacement.
Unlike the Viper, it will be a dramatic departure. Chrysler’s LX platform (Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum and Charger) benefited from front and rear ­suspension setups derived from the Mercedes-Benz S- and E-class, respectively, but it’s huge for a pony car. Since the Challenger’s inception, the LX has evolved into the LY and gained weight in the process. Now that it’s part of Fiat, Dodge would like to export Challengers, but their mass and zaftig proportions limit overseas sales potential. With fuel economy a growing ­priority—not to mention four-cylinder versions of both the Mustang and Camaro on the horizon—Chrysler needed to slim down its offering. Fortunately, Fiat has been on the prowl for a rear-drive platform for use by Lancia, Alfa Romeo, and possibly Maserati. These factors motivated Chrysler to develop a new platform, and the Barracuda will be its first fruit.
<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 12px" class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=510><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

Similar in size to the current Mustang, the Barracuda is expected to lose more than six inches from the Challenger’s wheelbase and close to eight in overall length. Rear track and overall width are forecast to shrink by a bit more than two inches. Weight will drop by between 250 and 300 pounds. The front suspension may move from control arms to a strut setup; the rear suspension will remain multilink, with new geometry.
Mindful of tightening CAFE requirements, power­train offerings will expand to include at least one ­variant of the new 2.4-liter Tigershark inline-four, possibly force-fed. While the 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 is expected to get direct injection at about the time the ’Cuda arrives, CAFE more than market demand will determine whether a V-6 is offered. Expect the Hemi V-8 to carry on, with direct injection increasing power and efficiency. We hear it’s unlikely that both the 5.7- and 6.4-liter versions will be offered but hope Chrysler reverses its thinking there. Two Hemis would go a long way toward cementing the SRT brand’s authenticity.
<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 12px" class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=429><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

Before terra became firma, when muscle cars ruled, I owned a Hemi Road Runner and was an engineer in Chrysler’s engine lab. My most interesting assignment was selecting the 440 Six Pack’s camshaft, a task accomplished on a Detroit freeway. I picked the stick with the fattest low end even though it sacrificed a few high-end horses.
<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 12px" class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=678><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><NAV class=mod></NAV>

Old 09-22-2012, 06:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Noooooo dont mess up the Cuda'!!!!!

Old 09-22-2012, 06:47 AM

The reincarnated Dodge Barracuda, or “Cuda” as the car aficionados affectionately refer to it as will have a brand spanking new 6.2 liter V8 which has critics rubbing their hands together in gleeful anticipation. While not much more is being offered at this point, we do know Dodge will have to work hard to keep up with the competition in this segment which includes the Camaro ZL1 and Ford Shelby GT500, in order to do this, it will have to give at the minimum 500 horsepower.

Chrysler launched its Street & Racing Technology models in the last decade as performance versions of existing models, from the Dodge Neon SRT4 to the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and Dodge Ram SRT10. The 2013 SRT Viper drops the Dodge moniker.

Last January, news came that a new pony/muscle-car would join the SRT Viper in the lineup. The SRT Barracuda won’t necessitate revival of the Plymouth brand and will eventually replace the Dodge Challenger. The SRT Barracuda should appear by the 2015 model year, same as for the next-generation Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro, while the Challenger may live on into the 2017 model year.
The Barracuda will be based on Chrysler’s new LA rear-drive platform, which is downsized from the full-size LY platform (Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger), or the Challenger’s previous-generation, LX RWD platform. Fiat also will use the LA platform to underpin several of its cars, most notably the replacement for the front-drive Alfa Romeo 159 and likely a successor to the larger, BMW 5 Series-size FWD Alfa 166 produced from 1998 to 2007.

The Barracuda will be based on Chrysler’s new LA rear-drive platform, which is downsized from the full-size LY platform (Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger), or the Challenger’s previous-generation, LX RWD platform. Fiat also will use the LA platform to underpin several of its cars, most notably the replacement for the front-drive Alfa Romeo 159 and likely a successor to the larger, BMW 5 Series-size FWD Alfa 166 produced from 1998 to 2007.
So what will SRT Number 3 be? Two possibilities are a successor to the Dodge Ram SRT10 and a small, two-seat sports car.

Last edited by Space; 09-22-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:01 AM

I like it! I had 1 Cuda' and 3 Barracuda's in the early to mid 80's.

I guess it's sucess will depend on what changes are made to the Mustang and Camaro's when it is released.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Im not much of a chrysler fan....

But, I did like the old 70's style....Cuda!....Challenger!...as well as there various colors..back then...

(I miss those days)

Old 09-22-2012, 07:12 AM

Not a fan of the concept, but the specs are pretty. Hemi V8 is what they should just stick with... no V6.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Amazing...resurrection of a vehicle from a motor division that hasn't existed since '01. I'm sorry, but Dodge Barracuda just doesn't sound right. Let the 'Cuda R.I.P. with it's dignity intact.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:48 AM

Sure they look hot and sexy but how does their power train hold up? After owning two Ram's in the late 90's and then again a 2003 both of which they bought back from me because repairs to the power train were more than the value of each truck, ill remain skeptical.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Old 09-22-2012, 09:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Not a real Mopar fan, never a Fiat fan. I do remember the early Barracudas with the huge back window, thought they were neat compact ponycars.

But anytime one of the big three pins a classic name on a car that's not quite true red-white-and-blue I see it as a sales tactic to push a car that would not sell on it's own. First a Fiat Dart, now a 'Cuda.

When Mopar/Fiat brings back the Cordoba there may be a call for a new Monte, as long as GM keeps it's senses and does not import an Isuzu Impulse and rebadge it as a MC.

Last edited by Barovelli; 09-22-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:43 AM

Ruined! I really dont like a lot of newer cars/concepts. Leave the futuristic ugly cars to movies that are set far in the future. Just my opinion though. I guess if they don't make anything I like I'll be driving old cars forever.

Quick Reply: * Hey GM, if Chrysler can do it, so can you * > ?