Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

* 4 our Super Rich $ Member's, or Dreamer's *

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking * 4 our Super Rich $ Member's, or Dreamer's *

First Drive: 2013 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse

^^^^^^^^^ I'm one of the `Dreamer's 4-$ure ^^^^^^^^^

June 22, 2012 / By Jack Rix

17 Photos View full gallery

"Run the 1,000 hp Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport at top speed and it will empty its 26.4-gallon fuel tank in 12 minutes. The Vitesse, with its extra 200 hp, will do it in 10.3, which is lucky actually because Michelin won't guarantee the tires to run above 250 mph for more than 15 minutes." Bugatti's chief vehicle engineer, Jens Schulenburg, can't help but chuckle as he tells us about his latest project, and who can blame him when the Vitesse's spec sheet is littered with such ridiculous numbers.
Essentially an upgraded version of the open-top Grand Sport, the Vitesse's engine comes from the now sold-out Super Sport coupe. That means four larger turbochargers, an extra 200 hp, and performance to make your knees quiver. Top speed is 255 mph with the roof panel in place, or a breezy 233 mph with it removed. Bury your right foot and 0-186 mph takes 16 seconds, slam on the 15.74-inch carbon-ceramic brakes and you'll screech to a stop 7.9 seconds later.

The 0-60 mph time of 2.5 (WoW) seconds tells a different story though. It's actually 0.1 seconds slower than the less powerful Grand Sport -- you can blame the bigger turbos taking longer to fill their lungs for that. And there is a noticeable delay between squeezing the gas and the turbos lighting up at 4,000 rpm -- a gentle pause that gives you just enough time to brace you internal organs and flex your face muscles before they're both rearranged.
It's not the slug of acceleration that shocks so much as the way it snaps you back in your seat and keeps you there until you lift off. At that point the four turbos open their waste gates and emit an almighty hiss millimetres behind your head. With most convertibles the loss of the roof brings you closer to the action, in the Vitesse it sounds like you're wedged between the banks of cylinders with every whistle, pop, and roar mainlined into your ear. If a Ferrari V-12 is a banshee, this engine is an ogre with an appetite for super-unleaded.
So it sounds brutal and accelerates like nothing else, but the Vitesse's real home turf is at high-speeds. We managed to hit 205 mph on a closed test track before having to brake for the next bend, and the car was feeling more stable by the second, while the cylinders were only just hitting their stride. Thanks to a newly designed wind deflector that clips to the top of the windscreen, the high speed run was a noisy but not windy experience.

The real surprise comes when you discover the Vitesse is not merely a straight-line dragster in a carbon-fibre dress; there's a genuine delicacy to the way it handles. Despite weighing almost 4400 lbs and power being sent to all four wheels, the steering is light and weights up nicely as the angle increases. Carry too much speed and you'll wash wide with understeer, don't get on the gas early enough and the turbos won't be spinning when you need them. Time it right though and you can carve deliciously clean arcs through the bends, jump on the throttle at the apex and storm down the next straight leaving the world in your wake.
There's one problem with driving the Veyron on public roads though, and it's not losing your license -- it's losing any part of the bodywork. Driving something this wide, worth more than a mansion, on roads packed with careless drivers coming the other way certainly focuses the mind -- and not in a good way.
The second surprise came as we trundled through town back to the hotel -- the Vitesse is a pussycat at low-speeds. New softer springs and dampers have been fitted, but with stronger anti-roll bars, and the result is a supercar that deals well with even the worst surfaces. It's at crawling pace that you recognize what a masterpiece this gearbox is, too.
Built by British firm Ricardo especially for the Veyron, the seven-speed twin-clutch 'box costs Bugatti nearly $80,000 a pop -- and was the major engineering hurdle in this car's development. The result is that on full bore upshifts it slams home the next ratio without a break in torque, while in auto mode, at sedate speeds, it slurs them perfectly. Only the occasional jerk as you pull away reminds you this isn't a conventional torque converter.

Strip the Vitesse down to its components and the attention to detail is beyond belief. Poke your head through the 20-inch rims (if it were possible) and you'd notice small scoops of metal missing from the back of each spoke -- that saves 1.1 pounds per corner. If you're caught in a downpour, a temporary umbrella lives under the hood and fits snugly over the cabin. Even the airbag mechanism is mounted on a spring inside the steering wheel to damp any vibrations before they reach your fingertips.
With such a broad set of circumstances to cover, three driving modes prepare the car for a variety of situations. In town traffic and up to speeds of 112 mph there's the default setting. Hit a button next to the gearlever though (or it will switch automatically above 112mph) and you enter Handling mode -- here the suspension squats down by 35mm and 20mm at the front and rear respectively, the rear spoiler deploys and flaps in the front diffuser open up.
If you find somewhere expansive enough to make an assault on the top speed however, you'll need a separate key that when turned sinks the suspension (by a further 15mm at the front and 25mm at the rear) as well as retracting the spoiler and performing a series of checks on the car's vital statistic to ensure it's up to the task.
The question then is whether any car can really be worth the ludicrous $2.5 million asking price. No, of course not, nothing on four wheels is, but the Vitesse is the most talented and dramatic incarnation of the Veyron so far. And for those with the means the Vitesse does something no other car can claim -- it takes an ocean of power and manages to tame it into a package that's as useable around town as it is beyond 200 mph. Life will always seem a little slower from now on.

2013 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse

On sale: Now
Base price:$2.5 million
Engine: 8.0-L W-16 quad-turbo, 1200 hp, 1106 lb-ft
Transmission: Seven-speed dual-clutch auto
Drive: Four-wheel drive
0-60 mph: 2.5 seconds
Top speed: 255mph<~ WoW-WoW (LOL) (roof on), 233mph (roof off)
I'd blow the roof `off ~> LOL
</NAV>

Last edited by Space; 06-24-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 AM

2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed Has 616 HP, 205-MPH Top Speed

Written by: Jake Holmes[G+] on June 20 2012 4:00 AM
<!-- AddThis Button END -->

<!--leftside banner-->
<!--leftside ends here -->Having shown off its new, twin-turbocharged Continental GT at the Detroit auto show, Bentley has now revealed the 2013 Continental GT Speed. The new model is the fastest production Bentley yet, and improves on the previous GT Speed’s maximum velocity by 3 mph.
The Bentley Continental GT Speed continues to use a twin-turbo, 6.0-liter W-12 engine; the regular Continental GT can be equipped either with a weaker version of that W-12 engine or a new twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V-8 engine. In the case of the GT Speed, the W-12 has been upgraded to produce 616 hp and 590 lb-ft of torque, enabling a claimed top speed of 205 mph. Bentley says the coupe will complete the 0-to-60-mph run in four seconds flat.
By contrast, the previous version of the Bentley Continental GT Speed was rated at 600 hp and 553 lb-ft. Bentley said the car required 4.3 seconds to reach 60 mph, and could reach 202 mph. That performance was nothing to scoff at, but the 2013 model is even faster.
Like the 2013 Bentley Continental GT and GTC, the new Speed model switches from a six-speedautomatictransmission to a close-ratio, ZF-built eight-speed unit. Bentley says that helps improve acceleration and fuel economy; the 2012 GT Speed was rated at 10/17 mpg (city/highway).
Aside from the engine, the Bentley Continental GT Speed also benefits from sportier steering and suspension tuning, as well as a lower ride height. Unique 21-inch wheels are shod in Pirelli PZero performancetires. The Bentley wears black mesh grilles out front, and features the high-end Mulliner Driving Specification interior trim as standard.
The Bentley Continental GT Speed will make its public debut June 29 at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Bentley is taking orders for the car now, with deliveries to start in October.
Source: Bentley
<STYLE type=text/css> #gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 50%; } #gallery-1 img { border: 2px solid #cfcfcf; } #gallery-1 .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0; } </STYLE><!-- see gallery_shortcode() in wp-includes/media.php --><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL>
<DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL>
<DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL><DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL>
<DL class=gallery-item><DT class=gallery-icon></DT></DL>

<!-- HACK SIM Ad Control STM adscript start--><IFRAME class=shopping-tool-module height=1 marginHeight=0 border=0 src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/automobile.primedia.com/community_blogs_;!category=community;page=2013-bentley-continental-gt-speed-has-616-hp-205-mph-top-speed-148801.html;sect=community;subs=blogs;subss=;make= Bentley;model=Continental_GT;year=2013;trim=;cpo=f alse;article_id=;source_id=;camp_id=;sp=;rb=;site= automobile;chan=autos;k=;kw=;entry=true;sz=1x2;mtf AdjustOverflow=true;tile=5;s=10711;se=10711;ord=28 335#http%3A%2F%2Frumors.automobilemag.com%2F2013-bentley-continental-gt-speed-has-616-hp-205-mph-top-speed-148801.html" frameBorder=no width="100%" marginWidth=0 scrolling=no>&ltscript src=http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/automobile.primedia.com/community_blogs_;abr=!ie;abr=!aol;!category=commun ity;page=2013-bentley-continental-gt-speed-has-616-hp-205-mph-top-speed-148801.html;sect=community;subs=blogs;subss=;make= Bentley;model=Continental_GT;year=2013;trim=;cpo=f alse;article_id=;source_id=;camp_id=;sp=;rb=;site= automobile;chan=autos;k=;kw=;entry=true;sz=1x2;til e=5;s=10711;se=10711;ord=28335;&gt&lt/script&gt</IFRAME><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- SIM Ad Control adscript end -->

<!-- .entry-content-->Categories:Auto News, Bentley, Coupe, Luxury, Sport Car

Related Rumors Posts

Hi Member's, Post your Dream Ride ?

Old 06-24-2012, 08:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

:Tongue-In-Cheek Humor ON:

That's definitely a toy for a rich person. Between burning through 26 gallons of fuel in 12 minutes and changing tires every 15 minutes I don't know when you'd find the time to drive it for an extended amount of time. Add in the down time for taking it to the shop to get rid of that gawd-awful color combo and you'd never have time to drive it.

:Tongue-In-Cheek Humor OFF:

Old 06-24-2012, 09:02 AM

LoL `Mike, I enjoyed your Tongue & Cheek Humor , but `if I had the $ dollars 2 purchase own any of the above cars, I'd have my live in mechanic take care of those small problems & would be able to change the paint color every-time I changed my underwear

That's why I'm so happy that dreams are `free 4-Sure...
I do dream a lot, but I believe that dreams are where will want to `go & work is how we get there

I'm sure working on my `dreams 4-Real
Wish everyone happy auto-dreams & I hope yours come true 4 U
Mr Lotto God, please call my #'s (LOL)

Old 06-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Space
...`if I had the $ dollars 2 purchase own any of the above cars, I'd have my live in mechanic take care of those small problems & would be able to change the paint color every-time I changed my underwear
Yeah, that's true. While one ride was being serviced you could be out cruisin' around in a different one. Long distance trips would still be out of the picture though. No wait...you could just have a convoy of trailers follow you around and switch off vehicles every couple of miles.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:17 AM

Lol `Mike,
I believe if one is going to `Dream, to Dream `BIG
4-Really~>$ure (LOL)

Old 06-24-2012, 09:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I seen the title and thought hey I am one of those.........a Dreamer i mean Maybe someday i will be super rich tho if I work really hard or win the lottery.