Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

$$ Cost 2 raise a Kid ? $$

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question $$ Cost 2 raise a Kid ? $$

How much does it cost to raise a kid? $235K — not including college What I can't afford a kid
(Let me think ? A new home & a new Corvette ? or a kid ?) LOL (Should I be selfish ?) LOL
New government data shows child-rearing an expensive proposition; pressure an added cost

Allowance has risen dramatically

A middle-income family may spend $234,900 to raise a child born in 2011 to the age of 18, a 3.5 percent increase in a year, according to a government report.
Expenses for child care and education, transportation and food represented the biggest jumps, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said today in a report. Adjusted for anticipated inflation, a child in a middle-class family would cost $295,560 to raise , the department said.
“It's not just the cost, it's the pressure,” said Ellen Galinsky, president of the Families and Work Institute based in New York. Competitive educational environments and an awareness of what it takes for children to succeed are prompting more spending, she said in a telephone interview.

The typical two-parent middle-income family spent $12,290 to $14,320 in 2011 on each child, the study found. Households that make less spend less, USDA researchers said. A family earning less than $59,410 a year will probably spend $169,080 in 2011 dollars to rear a child, while parents earning more than $102,870 may pay $389,670, according to the study.
“Families receive little support as they navigate” the child-rearing process, Galinsky said. The USDA report includes an online calculator to help figure out costs.
RELATED ITEM Ten good jobs that don't require a college degree »
Expenses were highest for children raised in the urban Northeast, followed by cities in the West and Midwest, the USDA said. The urban South and rural areas were the least expensive. Housing accounts for the biggest portion of expenses, averaging 30 percent over 17 years, the USDA said. Child care and education costs at 18 percent and food, at 16 percent, are the next biggest costs. The estimates don't include college expenses.
The study, published each year since 1960, helps courts and government agencies estimate child-support costs, the USDA said. In the first study, housing accounted for 31 percent of the cost to raise a child, then estimated at $25,230 -- the equivalent of $191,720 in 2011 dollars. Food was the second-biggest component, at 24 percent, with transportation at 16 percent, compared with 14 percent in 2011.
Health care was 4 percent of the cost of raising a child in 1960, half the 2011 level. Education and child care accounted for 2 percent of costs. Two-income families have raised the cost of day care and other forms of child care, while changes in agriculture have lowered food expenses, the USDA said.
“In 1960, child-care costs were negligible, mainly consisting of in-the-home babysitting,” the USDA researchers said in the report. “Since then, the labor force participation of women has greatly increased, leading to the need for more child care.”
Such demands are only increasing as families look at quality education and child care as essential for success, Galinsky said. “People want to equip their children with what they need.”
--Bloomberg News--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
`Member's, how many children do you have ? or
How many would you like to have ?
I'm gona go get fixed

Last edited by Space; 04-05-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

It's not cheap but i wouldn't trade my son for anything in this world or gallaxy!

Old 04-05-2013, 10:53 AM

Yeah, nah... I'll take some dogs and nice cars and call it a day.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:56 AM

...Hi `Justin,
I thought of your when I was posting the above thread...It's great to read your words/thoughts...How's `Jack doing ? He sure is growing fast

I was surprise the amount of $'s it cost to raise a --`it machine
I hope to have children someday in my future, but I sure don't like the things that are going on in our country or our world...

I wish we all lived in a safer country/world...I wish everyone could live in peace without fear...I think I would have liked to live in the 40's/50's..

Thanks for your words & all your contributions to the MCF
Peace/Happiness 2 `all from `Space

Old 04-05-2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by milrlyt
Yeah, nah... I'll take some dogs and nice cars and call it a day.

LOL, Just don't get a car that's a Dog Thanks for your post

Old 04-05-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Space

LOL, Just don't get a car that's a Dog
Wasn't planning on buying a Ford anytime soon

Old 04-05-2013, 02:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

Well I raised 5 so its all good.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mels SS
Well I raised 5 so its all good.

Thanks `Mel & member's for your post/words.

WoW 5 kids = $ One & a quarter Million Dollars + no interest earned on your investment > (not including the cost of college +)

I do want to have children, but I better start saving 4-Sure...Now, they sure are not on the top of my priority list.

I'm hoping & praying that our Country can get it's act together & start dealing with the massive problems in our country.

It's costing the taxpayers Billions of dollars to pay for children of people that can't pay to raise them . I find this very sad & expensive to all that have to pay taxes...I sure don't mind paying my fair share & helping others, but to me it's out of control...

I may just have to move to an isolated island in the Atlantic Ocean

There's also to much crime in our country & there's to many area's that people are living in fear What do you think ?

How many children do you have ? How many do you want to have ?