Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

$$$ Gas Prices 2011 $$$ ?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry $$$ Gas Prices 2011 $$$ ?

2011 Begins With Gas Price Spike

Member's, What's the price of `Gas where you are ?
How high do you think it will go this time ?
Has it changed how much you drive your Monte ?
Post & let us know what you think ?
Gas = Gold

Drivers across the country saw gas prices leap over the past few weeks, hitting a national average today of $3.09 for a gallon of regular.
“It sucks, but you have no choice,” said Curtis Carter, 32, as he filled up at a BP station at N. Clark Street and N. LaSalle Boulevard in Chicago. The Windy City currently has the title for the country’s highest recorded gas prices. This particular station was selling a gallon for $3.55.

“I do a lot of driving between here and the suburbs, but it helps that I’m driving this,” said Carter, nodding to his 1996 Toyota Tercel. “I still get about 30 to 35 miles per gallon, even in the city. I usually only fill up about once a week.”

Jake Wishnoff, 18, has a different take. “It’s definitely a burden financially. I live on my own, so this is terrible,” he said. “I knew Chicago had the highest prices, but even two months ago it was only at $3.15 or $3.20.”

For those who do not closely follow crude oil and gas prices, this price spike is not typical. Normally, fuel prices drop between November and January while hitting high tide in the late spring and early summer. For the past month, crude oil prices have hovered around $90 per barrel.

“This is a bit of a departure,” said Tom Kloza, chief oil analyst for the Oil Price Information Service. “Even though demand in the U.S. has been pretty flat, starting in May the rest of the world has had a larger appetite for gas, diesel and jet fuel.”

Every year for about the past two decades, oil has become increasingly valuable, Kloza explained. Now a proliferation of financial instruments, such as crude oil futures and options, has contributed to price instability. Kloza also speculated that a particularly cold winter in the Northern Hemisphere has not helped matters.

With prices already this high this early in the year, there has been rampant speculation that gas could reach $4 per gallon. When prices hit that economy-shocking level in 2008, our Gas-Saving Moment of the Day feature did little to stave off the dire repercussions.

“There’s no doubt it contributed to the financial collapse,” Kloza said. “As people spent more money on gas, they spent less elsewhere, so it was undoubtedly a factor.”

Still, Kloza believes we should be far from panic mode. “There is a lot of hyperbole about where prices will go. People will mention the possibility of $4 or $5 per gallon : (because it’s a good sound bite that will get attention, but I think we’ll see a peak in the first half of the year. Maybe $3.25 to $3.75 nationally and possibly $100 a barrel for crude for a brief time.”

Not that this means such prices aren’t worrisome for many Americans. If $3.50 for a gallon of gas poses a financial challenge to the household budget, families will be in for a rough spring.
: ( Oh `no
Wishnoff is one such individual. Asked what he would do if gas hits $4 per gallon, he said, “Selling my car and taking the bus.”

Space will be on his skateboard or bike again : )
What will you do ?

I wonder `if the price of booze will increase also ? I think maybe the consumption rate will increase

Last edited by Space; 01-14-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:50 AM

I think we are at 3.19. I will look again when I am out this morning. If gas gets much higher I will have to buy another car that gets good mileage or fix the camaro. It at least would get 25 mpg, compared to the 9-11 that I get now.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The best part of my new job is that I work from home and that is saving me $35-$40 a week in gas the old ford f-250 drinks it like it is going out of style LOL $100 every2 1/2 weeks
and was a big deciding factor the get the Monte in the first place mine gets good mileage as long as you are easy on the throttle.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 AM

Hi Teacher `Todd & Keith, Thanks for your posts & infor

The price is high to drive a large truck /vehicle 4-Sure ~> 9-11 MPG's
Teacher, it would be great `if you could get your Monte Back

I'm driving a company truck: a 05 Tacoma with a 4 banger and it's only getting about 18-19 MPG, but it runs great 4 what it is....It needs tuned & has close to 100K with the original plugs wires, etc. I keep telling my boss that I will do it myself if he pays for the parts (That has not happened yet: ).

Both my Monte's were super on fuel... It cost more to drive a truck 4-Sure...., but they sure serve a great purpose...

Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I paid $1.23 (premium) when I filled up a few days ago. But that's per litre. Which works out to $4.66 per gallon if my math is right.

Regular gas is $1.10 per litre right now. Which would be about $4.16 per gallon.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:35 AM

WoW `Lou, that's expensive 4 Sure...I hope you live close to work....By the time I have money for a Muscle car, I won't be able to afford the fuel Why is gas so much more in Canada ? Is it the tax ?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:47 AM

i drove past a few yesterday her in Florida and it was 3.04$. luckily i don't drive it a whole lot.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by KidSpace
WoW `Lou, that's expensive 4 Sure...I hope you live close to work....By the time I have money for a Muscle car, I won't be able to afford the fuel Why is gas so much more in Canada ? Is it the tax ?

Greed. Plain and simple greed. Greed by the government applying taxes to it. Greed by the oil companies raising the price simply because they can. Greed by the owners of the gas stations. Greed, greed, greed all around.

I feel the same way Space. I'd love to buy a brand new Camaro SS. Especially that concept 2012 supercharged Camaro SS you posted in another thread. But by the time I can afford it, the gas would be too expensive.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

I think I just paid $3.25/gal of 93

Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 AM

93 is 3.43 here

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $$$ Gas Prices 2011 $$$ ?