Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

"Ferocious" Fernando Vargas

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 04:52 AM
Default "Ferocious" Fernando Vargas

Anybody see his bout tonight against an old, but game Javier Castillejo? Vargas, 10 years his junior, punished Castillejo for 10 rounds in only his second fight after a year long layoff due to a back injury and a suspension due to a positive test on steroids after the beating he took from Oscar De La Hoya. I wasn't really impressed with his performance, even though he dominated the fight. He didn't seem to be the same, "Ferocious" fighter I knew and enjoyed watching fight. He showed glimpses of his past self, notably in the 3rd round when he landed a viscious overhand right to the neck/jaw of Castillejo that had him stunned and dazed badly. Vargas followed up quickly with two solid left hooks to the head that sent Castillejo to the canvas. He did make the count, and was saved when the bell rang shortly thereafter. Fernando showed patience, maturity, and a more technical side to his craft that I haven't seen in him before. But at the same time, he was touched alot more than he should have been. This was explained later by Vargas stating he didn't feel good, like he should, felt kinda sluggish. Hopefully he can do whatever needs to be done to fix that and get better cause if he's able to get his much sought after rematch with De La Hoya, he's gonna have to be on top of his game.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Default RE: "Ferocious" Fernando Vargas

I am not much into boxing, but, I have found UFC to be quite entertaining here of late though. Was that fight on PPV?

Old 08-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Default RE: "Ferocious" Fernando Vargas

ORIGINAL: montejass

I am not much into boxing, but, I have found UFC to be quite entertaining here of late though. Was that fight on PPV?
UFC is tight, I lilke it too. The fight was on either HBO or Showtime, I wanna say HBO.