New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Wow, what a day...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you're curious, here's a link to a site where you can type in your VIN number, and it will tell you everything your car came with from the factory.

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

I realize you already know the engine was replaced. But it may help to know if anything else is missing from the car too. Or just to know what engine was originally in the car. You may have the wrong PCM (computer) for the engine that's currently installed in your car.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Welcome.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:39 PM

Welcome. Good luck with all the crap. Keep us posted on what happens and what "Blue" says.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:37 AM

I appreciate all the welcomes, and the help. I've got a few pictures of what the engine SHOULD look like now (see, if it had been an Eclipse, I'd never have fallen into this trap) and I've looked into the Tennessee Consumer Protection Act, specifically with regards to Deceptive Practices, and in Tennessee, I COULD be awarded treble (triple) damages if I have to take them to court.

I don't want to get nasty with him, but I'm no pushover.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Danariel
...I COULD be awarded treble (triple) damages if I have to take them to court.

I don't want to get nasty with him, but I'm no pushover.
Hopefully it doesn't have to go to court. But that is definitely good to hear about the triple damages.

Don't feel too sorry for "Blue". Those missing engine parts didn't take themselves off. Sounds like that car lot has some shady practices. After hearing your story, I wouldn't trust any car they have on that lot.

I'm curious why the car needed an engine swap anyway. The 6th generation Monte's are pretty reliable when it comes to engines. If you do end up returning that Monte, don't let it turn you off of Monte Carlos completely. Just don't buy one (or anything) from them.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:58 PM

Well, I went over there this morning. Mentioned to him that everyone I've talked to has advised me I needed to get my money back. He said that I had bought the car "As Is," and I told him that I had asked him what was wrong with the car at the very beginning of our conversation, and he hadn't mentioned anything other than the tires. I also mentioned that he had told me the engine had been rebuilt (or at least answered yes when I asked if it had been) and that it hadn't, it had just been pulled out of a salvaged vehicle and put in this one.

He called the salvage yard where he swapped the old engine for the "new" one, and the old engine had already been crushed, so no parts. He had a call in to another salvage yard to see if they had the parts I need, and they thought so, but were supposed to get back with him about 4:30 or 5:00 and he was supposed to call me back with the info, but I haven't heard back from him yet (it's 6:52.) I tried calling his cell at 6:00 hours, but got the message that his inbox was full, so I couldn't even leave him a message. Oh, he did say that the engine in it was the one that belonged in it. I told him I wanted ALL the paperwork he had on the engine, the name of the salvage yard, the warranty, and everything.

Haven't said anything to him about the Tennessee Consumer Protection Act and Deceptive Practices yet, I wanted to see what he would do for me before I pissed him off, but if he says there's nothing he can do tomorrow, I'm going to.

I mean, any reasonable person buying a car is not going to expect that there are parts missing from the engine. I gave him the opportunity to disclose any problems with the car, make full disclosure, but he stood there and bald faced lied to me. I'd definitely call that "deceptive."

Old 10-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Good Luck. I really hope he makes things right. Going to court can be a pain in the butt.

Positive thoughts coming your way!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

welcome to the forum

Old 10-22-2010, 08:08 AM

If it seems like a decent car overall, I'd hold his feet to the fire to make things right rather than forcing the issue in court to return it for a refund. Long, painful, possibly costly process with no guaranteed outcome, during which you're still stuck with the car. Let him know (sounds like you probably already have) that you're not going away until you're satisfied that the car is in the condition which he implied at time of purchase. Be firm, stay cool, take no @$%$, but also be prepared for a little compromise.

I feel your pain. Good luck with this process. Keep us informed how it goes. Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 10-22-2010, 02:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: Wow, what a day...