New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Unknown knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Default Unknown knocking sound

Hey guys, so i have had a lot of problems with my suspension in my 2001 monte carlo SS. I am fairly certain that it was in a front end t bone collision before i bought it. The top engine mount sheared off on the right side and since been replaced. But every time i turn i hear hard knocking, almost like the engine is shifting. I just replaced my cv joint on the right and the inboard boot already busted. The knocking never stopped. I looked at the lower mount, it doesnt look destroyed, but im still not confident that its not bad, and thats what im leaning towards to be the cause. I cant really figure out why its knocking. Any help?

Old 11-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Gilly916
Hey guys, so i have had a lot of problems with my suspension in my 2001 monte carlo SS. I am fairly certain that it was in a front end t bone collision before i bought it. The top engine mount sheared off on the right side and since been replaced. But every time i turn i hear hard knocking, almost like the engine is shifting. I just replaced my cv joint on the right and the inboard boot already busted. The knocking never stopped. I looked at the lower mount, it doesnt look destroyed, but im still not confident that its not bad, and thats what im leaning towards to be the cause. I cant really figure out why its knocking. Any help?
Where do you think the knock is coming from? The Engine or because you are turning the car?
Maybe when the accident occurred it cracked something like a mount for the steering/AC etc. on the serpentine belt and maybe difficult to see? Just a guess you know?

Old 11-05-2015, 11:16 PM

Yea the knocking seems like its coming from the force of the car turning. The slower i go the better it sounds. Also if i keep turning in the same direction it stops after the first turn if that makes sense.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question

Originally Posted by Gilly916
Yea the knocking seems like its coming from the force of the car turning. The slower i go the better it sounds. Also if i keep turning in the same direction it stops after the first turn if that makes sense.
Ok here is something just off the top. I owned an Oldsmobile front wheel drive and it had an inner fender that would rub one the tire and make a knocking noise. It usually came loose from being serviced and it could be there is something under there loose doing the noise.
Having the car on a hoist for inspection is most likely a plus.
You also might try setting the car up on Jack stands and starting it up and put it in gear to check it out also. I have seen this done, it allows you to make the car turn its wheels while running.
Hope that you are able to find it.
This is extremely dangerous to do so you need to make sure that the car cannot fall off the Jack stands. and then have a safety stand to use as a backup.