New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

thinking of buying a Monte SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:01 AM
1 Year Member
Default thinking of buying a Monte SS

Hi, new to the forum as in this is my first time ever on the MonteCarlo site. I have been a chevy guy my whole life, (yes I have had other types of cars/trucks) but the bow tie is for life. Any way, I am contemplating on buying a 2001 Monte Carlo SS, I have always liked these cars but never really considered buying one. Wife wants me to by a "bigger" car then what I was looking at, 06 Colbalt SS Supercharged, but I do agree with her that a bigger car would be nice.

What are some of the known issues that I should look at with this year car? What should I look for and what should I look out for? This car, from what I can see from the pics is really clean, appears to be a 1 owner. 100K on the clock. My big concern is that I read on here really quick that the trans is the big problem. How can I tell if that issue has been addressed? Thanks. I will hopefully be going to look at it on Sat and hopefully drive home with it!!!

Old 04-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First thing to check is the transmission fluid itself, smell it & place the dipstick on a napkin to see its color. If it is grayish brown its old & never been changed, It will also have a nasty 'burnt' smell to it.
If its pink & smells fresh then you're good. Obviously ask the basics, last tuneup, brake & rotor change, ask if any suspension bushings(ball joints and control arm bushings) ever changed. Also the shocks too.

usually 75-100k is the time to change all that stuff, so inspect everything. Aside from that if its properly taken care of she's just been broken in

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Old 04-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Red Nightmare
First thing to check is the transmission fluid itself, smell it & place the dipstick on a napkin to see its color. If it is grayish brown its old & never been changed, It will also have a nasty 'burnt' smell to it.
If its pink & smells fresh then you're good. Obviously ask the basics, last tuneup, brake & rotor change, ask if any suspension bushings(ball joints and control arm bushings) ever changed. Also the shocks too.

usually 75-100k is the time to change all that stuff, so inspect everything. Aside from that if its properly taken care of she's just been broken in

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Greetings and Salutations!
Welcome to the Forum!

X2 Jen Great Info!

I dont know if you have a local shop that you can stop at during your test drive...
I have a friend that manages a local shop... That allows me to put it up on the rack and check all the steering, suspension components,brakes and fuel lines pads shoes etc... for any defects, leaks...or under carriage damage...exhaust system etc.....
Just something else to consider for doing a through check up on it before you deceide to buy it!

Dont forget to post some pics!

Old 04-26-2013, 01:41 PM
1 Year Member

Whelp, there goes me getting that Monte, it was sold before I could really get a look at it! guess it was not meant to be!

Old 04-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

welcome to the Forum looks like you already got some great advice.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Welcome to the Forum and sorry to hear the one you were looking at sold. You will find another one.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:12 PM

Welcome to the forum, and I'm sure another one will come along

Old 04-26-2013, 09:28 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Welcome to the site - good luck with the search. I don't know your price range is but finding an 04-05 SS Supercharged is a blast to drive!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
Welcome to the site - good luck with the search. I don't know your price range is but finding an 04-05 SS Supercharged is a blast to drive!
I'll agree with that all the way!!!

Old 04-26-2013, 11:00 PM

Welcome to the forum! Any Monte is a blast to drive if you enjoy it and treat it right!

Quick Reply: thinking of buying a Monte SS