New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Stored Vehichles........

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:59 AM
Default Stored Vehichles........

Ok proper storage should include runing the engine regularly to ensure integrity of hoses, lines, cables, pumps, etc etc
retrieving your prcious old baby from storage of a long period should include replacing all hoses, clamps, fluids, etc.or your first ride in that sweet machine could prove to be disappointing.
recently went for a ride in a car stored 10 yr. and day 1 we leaked radiator coolant and the hose needed to be replaced... ( and who decided the best place to attach the hoses with clamps is in a totally difficult place to reach? )
day 2 clamps had to be retightened as there were puddles in the driveway...
still day 2 once everything was done we left and drove for almost an hour when the transmission began to slip and we got off the highway and bought tranny fluid..
still day 2 we got back on the highway and drove a ways and it slipped and slowed down so we pulled to the shoulder and added more fluid... then as we drove on we began to smoke like cheech and chong so our pleasant drive had turned into car and driver being hauled home and I was rescued from the side of the road by sister...
results were dog got heated up a little ...(yes we took the pup for a spin)
My sweety got a sunburn waiting for help...
the monte got towed to the Monte Hospital.... and I went to sisters alone and was driven home next day...
Please don't assume the guy who said "it's good to go" did all these checks etc. do them yourself and don't wind up sittin on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere...
I can smile and shake my head, but i was a dissapoinment and I am sure a cost we hadn't anticipated our little ride costing us.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:04 AM

Hi Patricia Diane, & Welcome to our MCF Family.
"We live & Hopefully We Learn"
Tell us more about your Monte & please post some
pictures.
Look forward to your future posts.
Wish you safe/happy miles in your `Monte

Old 06-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ahhhh, the ol' stored vehicle woes.... what year monte? if its a 4th gen or older, finding a rebuilt turbo 350 or 400 trans for cheep is not too difficult, try going to some swapmeets, and look on craigslist. every old vehicle has its quarks, but once worked out youll have a blast. i can relate, me and my dad drove my 65 skylark home using dealer plates, stanhope, NJ to PA, after the car had sat for 7 years in a backyard.... and two more at the shop. we lost drive on the 2 speed auto halfway there. try finding a trans with THAT bolt pattern, lol.

good luck working the little issues out of your car.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:44 PM

The Monte is an 83 and had been sitting in a shop about 10 years and really needed to be in the shop before the ride.lol We live .. we learn...by our mistakes :-)

Last edited by PatriciaDiane; 06-30-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-30-2009, 01:56 PM

Sure hope that they weren't working on it for ten years
while in was in the shop, cause I sure wouldn't want to pay
the bill for that long : )
We hope that when you get the chance that you post
some pictures of your Monte.
We have many great member's from Canada
Our Administrator Taz -Lou- & One of our Mod's
WizKidd, plus many more.
You live in a beautiful area 4- Sure

Old 06-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

yeah storing sucks since i do with my monte next to a barn lol im out and lookin at is and starting it atlead once a week n take her up n down the drive afew times a month

Old 07-03-2009, 08:28 AM

It's an 83 Monte and no it wasn't being worked on for 10 years it was just under a tarp and the hoses etc were drying out and aging.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Welcome to the MCF family. Glad to hear you're OK, and sorry for your troubles. But I'm sure that once the bugs are worked out, you'll thoroughly enjoy taking your new toy out for the drives to keep her in shape. Sitting IS hard on cars. We have an '82 Olds that gets driven only a few hundred miles a year, but at least she's not sitting year after year.

Got some pics of the '83?