New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Saying hello

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Location: Colocated I work and live in Montgomery AL working for Air Force and have a house with my toys in TN
Default Saying hello

I am picking up an 85 Monte Carlo this weekend. I will be changing the engine and transmission to be a twin 350 with 4L60E.

I will likely use a block from a TBI truck I have then put in forged 30 over pistons, with crank from a 350 LT1. I plan to use Vortech heads, then modify the distributor to have LT1 opti internals. All this will allow me to have an old style block and accessories and use modern electronic transmission.

The goal is to run <7.5 in 1/8 and be a fun Daily driver that gets close to 20 MPG.

I think I gave my plans for the next 6 months and look forward to posting progress along the way. I hope to complete it before summer...schedules is definately soft.

Jack

Old 11-04-2009, 02:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Heyy! Welcome to the forum!
Congrats on the awesome 4th gen!
Is it a SS or LS??? (sounds like it's an SS but i thought i'd ask anyway lol)
And around here we loveee pics =D

Old 11-04-2009, 04:10 PM

Welcome to the site, sounds like a great project!

Old 11-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Location: Colocated I work and live in Montgomery AL working for Air Force and have a house with my toys in TN

Well thanks. I THINK it is an SS. It has it on side but...I will be paying $1500 the body appears to all be there (saw it in rain), interior is ok. tranny is supposed to slip badly, engine didn't even turnover (dead battery). I think it is a win win the guy can't fix it and what appears to be the main problems I will throw out.

I am finishing my last toy it is a 75 280Z I have some old pics of it. That is similiar but won't go on street the Monte will be street that sees track. He are the pics from ad of Monte.

Attached Thumbnails Saying hello-m1.jpg   Saying hello-m2.jpg   Saying hello-m3.jpg  
Old 11-04-2009, 04:37 PM

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a great project car. Look forward to watching your progress. The umm... HUGE decals are... ummm... interesting. :p

Old 11-04-2009, 04:46 PM

Are you saying it might not be a stock SS?

Old 11-04-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by LT1 Monte
Are you saying it might not be a stock SS?

Nah, looks body-wise as an SS, certainly have to be aftermarket decals... Looks almost like a 1/36th scale model with decals for a 1/24th... Sorry about the modeling reference, building scale model cars is one of my ways of relaxing and owning something that I never could in real life.

Would love to have the skills and determination to tackle what you and many others here are doing. Changing the wiper blades freaks me out sometimes!!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 05:04 PM

Here are some pics of the early part of the last project. I expect to complete the project next week. Get it started then in a few weeks start on the Monte.

Someone said you like pics so I will blast the ones I have and update it with near finish in couple weeks

Attached Thumbnails Saying hello-rear-view-sm.jpg   Saying hello-engine-bay-small.jpg   Saying hello-girdle-small.jpg   Saying hello-left-brake-small.jpg   Saying hello-lifter-valley-small.jpg  

Old 11-04-2009, 05:09 PM

And here are 4 more. The car is a 75 Datsun 280Z with an LT1, 400 Turbo tranny and has twin T70 the bore is standard with a 3.75 stroke for a 377.

It has 33 sline narrowed Ford and runs 31" x 10.5" slicks. It is oringed and should do well with ~18 psi of boost.

Attached Thumbnails Saying hello-passenger-cage-small.jpg   Saying hello-rear-cage-small.jpg   Saying hello-rear-view-sm.jpg   Saying hello-rockers-small.jpg  
Old 11-04-2009, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by JAFO
Nah, looks body-wise as an SS, certainly have to be aftermarket decals... Looks almost like a 1/36th scale model with decals for a 1/24th... Sorry about the modeling reference, building scale model cars is one of my ways of relaxing and owning something that I never could in real life.

Would love to have the skills and determination to tackle what you and many others here are doing. Changing the wiper blades freaks me out sometimes!!!!
I was just messing with you. I wanted a lighter car presently I drive a 95 Buick Roadmaster that I put a rearturbo on. It does well and freaks people out at the track but it is simply to heavy. It weighs 4400 with driver and to get it to go takes a lot of power. The same power in a Monte well the setup will be 800 - 1000 lbs lighter and I think there is plenty of room for front twins.

Quick Reply: Saying hello