New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Default Question

Hi, my name is Anthony. I have a 1983 Monte Carlo. It is all original. I am wanting to rebuild it. I have a 700R4 for it to get rid of the TH350. I am stuck between motors. I currently have a bare 400 SB. I have been thinking about putting a 454 in it. Is it possible to drop a 454 in it or is it to big and what modifications would I have to do?????

Old 09-01-2011, 07:45 AM

Hello Anthony. Welcome to the forum. It is possible to put a 454 in your fourth generation Monte. It has been done many times. You will need the correct motor mounts. You will also need a heavy duty radiator to keep things cool. Changing out the transmission also may require a custom made driveshaft and if you abuse it you made need to beef up the rear end. Possibly also heavier duty front coil springs. That just about covers it.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:31 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Welcome to the forum

& u can put any motor u want in it, just gotta get the right parts to make it work & moparman pretty much sumed up wat ull need

Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 AM

Hi Anthony & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family..

What kind of power are you looking for ? Are you changing your original Monte into what ? A drag car ? a street/strip car ? a Highway cruiser ? Do you want power or MPG's ?
How many miles on your Monte ? Is your short block 400 in good shape or does it need work ?
How much do you expect to invest $'s in your new project ?

Please post what you want your Monte 2 `do ?

Explore the MCF & Learn/EnJoy..
Look forward to your answers...