New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

A possible new addition?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Question A possible new addition?

Hello all..

I was driving through town the other day when she first caught my eye..All I could see was that monte carlo emblem popping out at me from that black exterior. I was in love.

So, I immediately turned around and pulled into the local dealer's lot. I drooled all over the thing for about a half hour while getting the run down. Haven't had my chance to test drive it yet(owner of the lot was on a errand). But, I'd like a little feedback before-hand.

What we have here is a 2002 Monte Carlo SS. She does have the 'high sport package' with the limited edition cluster. Body is gorgeous, except for the paint chips on the hood from some previous tailgating. She has had another 3800 engine swapped in. 200k miles on the body. 70k on the new engine.

I was wondering if you guys could tell me anything I should check out on this thing before I get it. He's asking $4200. Are there any major problems with this generation? Does that sound like a reasonable price? Any input at all will be helpful.

Thanks alot guys!

Old 07-15-2011, 01:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If a Monte Carlo emblem is popping off the black exterior, it might be the 2002 Dale Earnhardt signature series (or they swapped the emblem) because the emblems are usually body color.

Major problems. Intake gasket leaks, and transmission problems. Also wheel hub assemblies. Go for a look, check all the fluids, go for a drive and check the fluids again. Get the car fully warmed up before putting the transmission through its paces.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:25 PM

My '02 SS, purchased new, has been a great car. The only significant problems were already metioned by Chibi: replaced upper / lower intake manifold gaskets; rebuilt the transmission. A recurring theme with many (including mine) is a malfunctioning security system (Passlock II). Hard to diagnose the exact cause. When malfunctioning, the system thinks you're trying to steal the car and prevents it from starting for 10 minutes. Not a showstopper, but a real nuisance when it happens.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Thanks alot for the quick responses, guys!

Firstly, I was talking about the emblem on the grille. Not the 'Monte Carlo' script on the rocker. I'm not going to be able to go check it out until Monday now, seeing as I'm at work all day today, and he doesn't hang around there on the weekends. I will try to be as thorough as possible when I go down next.

How does that price sound to you guys? Granted, I'm in the middle of nowhere, W.V. so...pricing may be different depending on location..Just looking for an estimate.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:25 PM

15 Year Member

The price isn't terrible. These motors are rock solid. My car is currently over 179k miles.

The problem you run into is the suspension, and other issues that could arise with the over 200k mile body. I would make sure the heat and AC work. See if they will put it on a lift for you to look over the suspension, if it's rotted and rusted I would just walk away.

Check all the brakes lines and fuel line under the car too.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:57 PM

We have a garage about 5 minutes from town that has a lift. I'll run it over there when we take it out for the test drive and hoist her up. I'll be sure to check on all the lines. I didn't notice any leaks underneath it when I saw it. But, we'll see how it looks in a few days when I go back.

How is the aftermarket scene for this generation? Is there much to be done with the series II? How hard would putting the optional supercharger on there be? (Not trying to ask noobish questions. I will definitely do some searching around here...I'm just a little excited. I've wanted one of these Monte's since I first saw the 2000 model..)

Thanks again for the quick response. Hopefully, she will be everything I'm dreaming of. And, I can quickly become a regular member here.

Fingers crossed!

Old 07-15-2011, 03:13 PM

15 Year Member

This engine can be modified like crazy. You can have stock 200 HP engines, and you can easily go up to 500 HP with a turbo.

Putting a supercharger on them isn't difficult if you are comfortable doing a headgasket change. You would just remove everything from the heads up, and then put everything from the supercharged engine on instead. Plus tuning for a top-swapped engine is needed. There are tons of information on top-swaps. I'm going the turbo route.

Just take a look at zzperformance.com and click on grand prix anything you see for 98-03 grand prix is the same as our engine.

3800performance.com is another good site.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:06 PM

Thanks a lot, man! I'll have to check into that...I'd love to turbo, but a supercharger would be a whole lot closer to my price range. Plus, I need something the wife can still handle, she's already pretty insistent on 'sharing' this car. Even though she pointed out a 2000 Blazer that she sweet talked the dealer into trading for her '99 Mazda Millenia.

Look at me...getting so far ahead of myself...lol. I really hope this all goes well. I can't wait until Monday!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by 02ssLE
Thanks a lot, man! I'll have to check into that...I'd love to turbo, but a supercharger would be a whole lot closer to my price range. Plus, I need something the wife can still handle, she's already pretty insistent on 'sharing' this car. Even though she pointed out a 2000 Blazer that she sweet talked the dealer into trading for her '99 Mazda Millenia.

Look at me...getting so far ahead of myself...lol. I really hope this all goes well. I can't wait until Monday!
i hope everything works out for you! When you get a Monte youre joining an exclusive club !

pics!

Old 07-16-2011, 12:37 AM

I'll swing by the place in the morning on my way to work and snap a few shots for you guys. I just noticed this board has a user named '03ssle'...lol. I may have to think of a name change if I do end up with her. Don't wanna go around confusing anybody..

Quick Reply: A possible new addition?