New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Noob here!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Default Noob here!

Hey guys! I'm new to this board. I currently do not own a Monte, but I'm in the process of looking at one to purchase. I currently own a Nissan Maxima, which I've had since January. I'm just not happy with it so its for sale. I'ma Chevy gal. My dad tried to talk me out of the Max, but I wouldn't listen. I learned the hard way ...LoL. Anyways, I just wanted to post and say hello.

If anyone could give me any pointers as to what to look for as far as mechanical things, I would appreciate it. The Monte I'm looking at is a 2000 SS w/104,000 miles on it. The guy is having some work done to it cuz it didn't pass inspection. He said no engine work is needed. So any help would be great!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Noob here!

Welcome Lisa from VA. Let me be the 1st to welcome you here.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:42 PM

welcome to the site! did he tell you what didnt pass inspection? and just make sure u test drive the car and check all the fluids and the normal quick checks b4 u buy a car...carfax is a good help as well

Old 11-18-2007, 08:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd stay away from the earlier 6th gen Montes, like the '00 or '01. I had an '01 SS LE and LOVED it, but it didn't love me back. That's why I got rid of it at 116,000 miles. Try to find a later year. Spend a couple of extra$$. Actually, if you can find a late model low milage car from a GM dealer, you can get a 100,000 mile warranty with it if it's certified. I spent $,$$$ for that warranty.
I Love my Intimidator SS, and he loves me back.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:43 PM

Thank you for the welcome! I hope I learn a few things about Montes here. I've always loved them, hopfully soon I will be driving one.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Lisa and welcome to the site.
I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice from the people here.
What kind of work is the guy having to get done to pass inspection?
Going from a smaller car to a bigger Monte SS takes getting used to. I've had mine since august, and I'm still trying to get the hang of getting the Monte centered between the lines in parking lots. I find myself still hugging the line on the passenger side.

Hope the car works out for ya, without any major problems. I asked other 2000+ Monte owners what they thought of their car before I bought mine. They all told me it was a great car, and was really reliable. Which was a welcome relief from my money pit of a grand am.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:51 PM

Lets see... The catalytic converter replaced, rear brakes, high beam switch replaced along with the outer tie rod ends, new tires. He just aquired it back from the ex-wife as part of the divorce. He doesn't drive and hasn't drove it. He is selling it cuz he don't need it.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:59 PM

I'm very cautous now with buying used cars. I purchased my Maxima from another member on one of the boards that I'm a member of. I knew the engine had been replaced due to the original being blown by nitrous. It was heavly modded and a few months before he sold it, he started stripping the car down. By the time I got it, it was pretty much back to stock. I have had some issues with it that I just can't figure out. Recently, I found out that the engine in it now also had nitrous ran through it, even though he said he never had. 80 dry, 150 wet. A little much in my opinion. So this time around, I just want to be VERY careful. I know the basics to look for I guess.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:09 PM

do u have any friends who r mechanics? maybe the guy will let u test drive it and u can see what they say

Old 11-18-2007, 11:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: ChevyChick07

Lets see... The catalytic converter replaced, rear brakes, high beam switch replaced along with the outer tie rod ends, new tires. He just aquired it back from the ex-wife as part of the divorce. He doesn't drive and hasn't drove it. He is selling it cuz he don't need it.
From a year here, it seems that all late gen Montes suffer from steering problems and cat problems.

You seem to have it covered. If the Intermediate Steering Shaft and/or Steering Rack are okay, you are on the right track.

Quick Reply: Noob here!