New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Newbie with a new '07 Monte and a question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Default Newbie with a new '07 Monte and a question?

Hiya all,
It's nice to find such a site, especially when parts and questions about the newer Monte's are few and far between!

Does anyone know of anywhere besides a dealership where one can buy new replacement body panels? I messed up the driver's side fender this weekend very stupidly and would love to find availability of new body parts to fix it myself. I have paintshop available to me, just need the fender now. Please don't ask how it happened but at least it was just the fender and not the whole front end, it was just a stupid error on my part and I hate to deal with insurance on it if it won't cost too much, I'd rather fix it myself.

By the way, I love the way the new LS handles. I got the v6 though because my wife drives it and wasn't sure she could handle the v8 SS in our winters and we had to get two cars (well one Monte and an '07 Silverado) at once since both our other cars were lease vehicles and the leases were up (both were Crossfires), and they handled our winter by sitting in the driveway because they would not move, even in two or three inches of snow much less 1/8" of ice, lol.

Sorry to be long winded, just a little bit about me. If there are any Okies around, please say hi, would love to hear from anyone. Tulsa here.

Thanks to all in advance for any help and looking forward to a long future with our Monte. Oh we did get some nice custom paint done on the hood and rear spoiler on top of the black factory paint, will post pics as soon as I can, maybe this weekend if I can get it in some sun, rain most likely though, so soon as I can I'll post em.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:22 AM
Default RE: Newbie with a new '07 Monte and a question?

Welcome to the forum!

I would look around at junkyards first. There's some good online databases of junkyards you could search. It's a new fender from what I understand, so while I doubt anyone makes an aftermarket one yet, you might be able to find a clean OEM one from a car that had like rear end damage, or other damage when it was salvaged. Especially since the OEM's are that quiet steel, so it would be harder for the aftermarket companies to duplicate that, not to mention more expensive.

Good luck in the search!

Oh, why'd you have to get rid of the Crossfires? I (not seriously)looked at them for a while before I found my 3lt, and from what I understand they're dirt cheap right now. I mean I found a new one with insane discounts,that was actually in my price range. Butthey were really low trade-in on my 03 LS, plus they wouldn't give me a number of discounts if I didn't finance through their bank.

I know RWD isn't very good in the winter, but I've heard it's just a matter of learning to drive it differently.

--Mike

Old 09-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

hey, welcome to the site, aftermarket body panels can be purchased from any automotive retailer, also you can find them cheap on ebay sometimes too

Old 09-05-2007, 08:48 AM

[align=center][/align][align=center]Hi `Bo & Welcome to the MCF[/align][align=center]I hope that the below information helps[/align][align=center]in your pursuit to fix your Monte.[/align][align=center]Good Luck[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][/align][align=center]
Fender -- Fender Driver Side. Steel, Ground Shipping Only
[/align]
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

Replacement Driver Side Fender 2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]

Eligible for FREE SHIPPING[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
FITS (ENGINE/CHASSIS)

2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo[/b]
C220172
$182.42
[/align][*][align=center][/align][align=center]
2007: 3.5L, 6 Cylinder[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][*][align=center][/align][align=center]
2007: 5.3L, 8 Cylinder[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
[:-]Click on below link for Source [:-][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://www.car-stuff.com/store/?N=4294966957+1588+4294966079+4294966318&catq= true[/align][/align][/align]

Old 09-05-2007, 08:51 AM

Welcome to the forum. Looks like the SPACE DOOD has the answer for you. Good luck with the repair.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:16 PM

I would go with the junkyard first. The fender will be OEM and it will FIT!You may luck up and get the right color. Keeps you from having to paint the jamb of the part.... like the edge of the fender that the hood hides when its shut. Those areas arent as shiny as the outside and if not trimmed in correctly it will stand out like a sore thumb under there when replaced.Maybe just maybe it wouldn't need painting at all. Wetsand and buffout the junkyard part.... I have done that a few times. Could potentially save you some dough!Any aftermarket part that is stamped steel should be CAPA certified. CAPA certified means that the aftermarket part is guaranteed for fit and finish. Anyparts not certified....eeeek!Fitment issues will arise. I guarantee it!Not something you wanna deal with on an 07 imo. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2007, 04:08 PM

Thanks all for the info and I may have found one ata local salvage yard though it's sad to think of an '07 already in the yard but he said the driver's fender is good, not the right color but not a bad deal probably for $75 and I do have access to a paint booth so it looks like I'm off to the salvage yard tomorrow.

Mike, in answer to your question about getting rid of the Crossfires, that's a tough one and yes it was very hard to part with both of them. I had wanted to keep one just in case they turned out to be rare someday but when the price of Premium unleaded gas hit $3 here last summer I decided that it just wasn't worth it anymore. They did get great gas mileage for a small car with a 3.5ltr V6, around 22mpg around town and over 30 on the highway but that's not taking it very easy either. It was so much fun to put the foot in it and actually feel the g force when taking off in those cars. I never was able to smoke the tires, just too much grab and a soft rubber tire but it did make for some serious whiplash if not careful! The fastest I had mine going was 151 but don't tell my wife, lol. The handling was excellent and we never had trouble with them but the main reason was that in the snow and ice this past winter, we could not get them out of the driveway! There was just too much rear wheel torque to even press down on the gas lightly without spinning the tires, even on flat ground much less on a hill. We had one blizzard in which my wife had to leave her's stuck on a hill here in Tulsa and a friend had to take me out there in a total white out and tow it home because we didn't want to abandon it there. There are still some great deals on them here in Tulsa and the price was very right, our leases were only $299 a month which isn't bad for a car payment these days. I just wish the price for Premium wasn't so scary and we'd probably still own one of them but I'm glad we went with the Monte and the Silverado, love em both!

Thanks again all for the ideas, I appreciate it very much and look forward to talking with you again!

Old 09-08-2007, 11:35 PM

My heart goes out to your MC's fender, respect the sheet metal,... and please say you werent tryin to trade paint?[>:]

Old 09-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad to know you're okay.
This may be stating the obvious, but paint the fender before putting it on the car.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:21 PM

Bo: Premium is only 3.00 down there!? I'm envious, I've been paying anywhere from 3.129 (very cheapest) to 3.259... grr, money grubbing no good oil companies... lmao.

Naah, I'm happy to put premium in my 3.9, gotta feed those 242 horses with the good stuff.

I will put ethanol or 89 mid-grade in if I'm feeling cheap, or not planning on really ridin her rough. But I'm usually pretty throttle-happy. The acceleration of my FWD might not feel the same as that RWD you had, but it still feels darn good to me.

You found an 07 in the yard already? Shame shame.... Did you find out what color it was, if it's got the silverstone metallic let me know, if it's a higher end model it should have painted rockers, which I've been looking for. Also let me know how much the guy would want for the radio trim piece if it's black. I need to replace mine, got a crease in it when I was pullin it out to plug in my Line Output Convertor.

Hmm, I wish there was some in Iowa.. I've beenasking around, and haven't found any. Of couse they could just be blowing me off. lol. Junkyards in this area prefer to work with shops, not individuals, so they'll usually charge individuals more.

Have you seen the Sebring Convertibles for 08? I saw a couple, and I was like, is that a crossfire? I don't get it.... if crossfires did so poorly, why did they make another convertible coupe? Especially one that's FWD and has more power! Hmm, 235 HP is almost on par with my 242, but luckily they have a much less aggressive final drive ratio. Would hate to get taken by grandma's weekend ride! Lmao... Actually despite Chryslers latest offerings, the Sebring coupe convertible doesn't look too bad at all. Like I said, almost reminds one of the Crossfire until you look at tire size and the rear end. The stance is a shade different too.

Quick Reply: Newbie with a new '07 Monte and a question?