New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Default Newbie

hey all, got a 85 SS, with 350 long block, 700R4 trans and Ford 9" rear with 3.70 gears and 31 spline axles, need some help. i want to put on a good carb and distributor that is not computer controlled but i have no idea what i need. we did this when the car had the 305 in it, but we sold all the stuff and that was so long ago, i can't remember what we used. anybody know what a good setup would be? oh yeah, the car has 348,000 actual miles on it, we are the second owners and it was bought by us in 1990 with 64,000 miles on the clock. the 305 blew all to pieces after 5 years of drag racing and 3 years of every day driving, with 258,000 miles. so we got our money's worth out of it. we put the 350 in it in 1998 and it has about 90,000 miles on it now, so i want to maybe freshen it up some or replace it altogether. i got the car because my Dad passed away in October of this year, it was his, but we both enjoyed these cars, it was the second one we had owned and they both were identical, 1985's, burgandy, sweet cars. now that he is gone and left it with me, i want to build a tribute to him with it, and i will do just that, in time i hope to have it the way he always wanted it, big block 502, change the color to white, and put on corvette ralley wheels, well the wheels are on their way now, but the other stuff will have to wait for a while until the wallet can stand it. does anybody know if BFG's 295/50/15 will fit under the rear? anyway, all suggestions are welcome, so please, post away, and i hope to get to chat with you guys later on and learn as much about the Montes again as i can. thanks

Old 12-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Default RE: Newbie

Welcome.

Is the 350 stock?.
What are your inmmediate intentions?. Weekend warior or daily driver?.

Tj

Old 12-14-2005, 10:03 AM

yes, the 350 is a stock long block assembly with about 250hp, according to the sheet that came with it, but it's not making that with the quadrajet, and cast iron manifolds. the only performance item it has is an Edlebrock performer intake. and for now, it will be a daily driver, i have to have something to pick my daughter up from preschool in, but later on it will become more of a weekend warrior with the ability to drive it every day if i wanted to.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:06 PM

I think like a 650 - 700 CFM Holley Carb should do the trick. BTW Welcome to the boards! Enjoy your stay!

Old 12-14-2005, 06:45 PM

As long as it's stock.. the HEI and a quadrajet should do fine.

A Edelbrock performer carb maybe. Holley's are great.. while they are in tune.

Out of tune... not so good.Thats where on a stock motor, the Q-jet is best.

An experienced rebuilder can " step-up" a quadrajet.

On the Hei, a strong coil and good wires should do just fine.

I'm sure someone will not like the Q-jet. They are not bad carbs.

Tj

Old 12-14-2005, 08:19 PM

actually, the new holley's that you buy from Advanced or local Auto Parts Stores, They dont need to be tuned. We actually put 2 Holley 600CFM carbs on a Supercharged Pinto, and they worked fine.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:36 PM

Welcome!

No 4th generation Monte SS came stock with a 350, it sounds like you have a Goodwrench 350 crate replacment engine, which is also what I have. I'm personally a big fan of the CCC setup - much better mileage and can handle quite a bit of power as well. There are guys on the Monte SS board running the stock setup on 406sbc, bb, etc. Otherwise, I would suggest a non-CCC Qjet - again you can't beat the mileage and performance

The only people that hate Q-jets, are the ones who don't know how to tune them, or screwed one up by treating it like a Holley or Edlebrock

Old 12-15-2005, 09:44 AM

you are right, that is the engine i have too. i meant it was stock, not that it came in the car. sorry. what is CCC? i am assuming computer controlled something? so, what do i need to do? leave the quadrajet, change the distributor to an HEI and put better ignition on it? i am ok with that, if it runs good that way, and will it still be computer controlled?

Old 12-15-2005, 10:05 AM

CCC = Computer Command Control. If you want to be off the computer you will have the change the carb and distributer. Read below for details:

http://www.montecarloss.com/cgi-bin/...;f=17;t=008231

Unless you are putting in a wild cam, I would stick with the CCC system. If you do get rid of it, let me know if you want to sell the carb and distributer.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:58 AM

ok, thanks for the help. my dad had the carb rebuilt right before he passed away because the car was running and then would act like it would go dead, so the carb rebuild didn't fix it, in fact, the problem got worse. so now i am thinking maybe the fuel filter is clogged or something, and i know one of the catalytic convertors is loose inside and maybe clogged. yes i have true dual convertors on it, but am thinking of cutting them off and running no cats since i don't have to pass emissions in my county. if i can figure out where the hesitation and rough running is coming from, i am fine with leaving the computer hooked up, i don't plan to build a high hp car out of it, just a nice daily driver and the occasional pass down the track is all. maybe put the Sniper nitrous systemon it for the quadrajet, i think it's a 150 shot, that should be all i need and want.