New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New Monte owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Default New Monte owner

Would just like to say hi to everyone. Just bought a 2004 Dale Jr. edition to replace the wife's Galant (which our daughter just totalled).

Have to admit, I never really considered a Monte Carlo before. However, while looking around for a replacement car, this one really caught the wife's eye over the weekend. And as most married men know, got to keep the wifey happy, right?

Looks to be in great shape, has 86k on the odometer and drives great. I've already put over 500 miles on the car since Sunday, and haven't found any problems with the car yet, however am curious to know what weaknesses these models have and what I should be looking/watching out for. I like the gas mileage (getting around 27/28 mixed driving) and the interior is surprisingly roomy for a 2-door and comfortable. I think the car has every option available (which I'm not really a fan of, more chances of something breaking) and the performance is more than I initially expected. Seems to be on par with a 5.0 Mustang I had bought new back in '90.

Appreciate any and all input from you all and hope this forum is as good as the m/c (as in motorcycle) forum I have belonged to for several years (and which is also the only other forum I've ever become a member of).

Old 11-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Default RE: New Monte owner

Hi Ron, & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.
Sounds like you found a rare one. We have a few member's
that are fortunate to have the Dale Jr edition.
I'm sure they will post their thoughts, and information
about their Dale `Jr Editions.
Explore the forum, and `if you can't find what your looking
for, just make a post.
Was your Monte a one owner ? Did you get the background
information about your Monte ?
Look forward to your future posts, plus pictures are
always a bonus. We never get tired of looking at
pictures of the Awesome Monte Carlo's.
Wish you good Luck with your Monte Carlo SS.
`Space

Old 11-28-2007, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the welcome. Will try and post some pictures later, have to take a few good ones first. As far as the cars history, yes I believe it was a one-owner, at least according to the dealership, the car was. Bought it in Charleston, SC, at a Ford dealership. "Apparently," it had belonged to the wife or aunt of one of the employees that worked there. She had decided to sell because of the warranty expiring and wanting another new car.....so the story goes. But, that's a salesman talking, so I don't know how much is true or not.

In any case, I'm fairly talented, mechanically, and I could not see anything wrong. Yes, it has higher miles than usual but it's very obvious, when checking the car out, that it had been very well cared for. No signs of any kind of previous damage or repair work done anywhere. Paint is a little matte on the roof, but you can only tell when you feel over it, visually, it looks glossy. A few tiny rock chips up front, as with any car. Interior is like new. Every once in a while, there is just the slightest clunking sound from up front, either suspension or steering, when turning the wheel at standstill or very slow speed. But, I've had several GM products that have had this.....figure I'll keep an eye on it, just to make sure it's not the CV joints.

Is this version/edition really considered rare as in "rare", or just rare as in not quite as common as the standard supercharged SS?

Old 11-28-2007, 01:13 PM

Hi Ron, welcome to the best Mont Carlo site you'll ever find. I had an 04 Supercharged model, and had absolutely no problems with it at all. Went like a scared cat, and as you have noticed, the mileage was great.

Good luck with the car, I'm sure as Space dood has already said, we have a few members that have the Dale Jr. editions, and will be glad to help out. Just post a question and you will be answered.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:24 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the site!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:30 PM

Welcome to the site Frosty.That klunk you noticed in the front end is most likely the intermediate steering shaft(ISS).Our members have a wealth of knowledge on this common GM problem.Search through the forum and you will find many possible solutions.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Welcome.
Yep, my baby hasthe famous, (or is that infamous?), GM klunk also. GM said they don't make the lube kit anymore. Was wondering if the new ISS's have a grease sert. I emailed them but they didn't answer that question, just gave me a part #. I read somewhere about using white litheum spray grease (I think that's what's it's called) and not even having to take anything apart to do it. If you do a search on the internet you'll find LOT'S of GM's with the klunk.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Ron.
Welcome from a fellow Dale Jr. edition owner!
The Dale Jr. Signature Series (like all signature series Monte Carlo's) is a rare car.
There were only 2883 Dale Jr. editions made. There are three of them in my area that I know of. Mine has the stripes on the side, as you can see in my pics. The other two are a little more "stealth" not having the stripes. Which makes it hard to get away with stuff,un-noticed in traffic.

Can't wait to see your pics. Did your car come with a certificate of authenticity? If not, check out the following thread. And pay particular attention to post #7 from 04 Intimidator. He asked about his Dale Sr. Intimidator edition, but the contact info given works for anyone with a question about any signature series.

https://montecarloforum.com/m_60273/tm.htm

I hope you enjoy your car. Be prepared to turn heads and have people spontaneously talk to you about Dale Earnhardt Jr. They'll expect you to know his results.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome Ron from Jacksonville, AL, to the Monte Carlo Forum. Your JR model is more rare than my Intimidator SS. I hope it treats you as well as mine is treating me. LOTS of supercharged Montes here. Your clunk is DEFINATELY your ISS. You need a heavy grease in there, as the light grease will work it's way out. Any GM dealer should be able to fix you up for about $30-40. They have the stuff to do it with, and can do it in about 1/2 hour. Mine is about due, also.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 PM

Want to thank you all again for the info given.

No, I don't have a certificate of authenticity, didn't know such a thing came with the series and therefore didn't even ask the dealer about it. But will definately try the link listed above to see if it is available for the car.

Looking through the tech section of the forum earlier, I also came to the conclusion that the slight clunking is most likely the ISS - seems easy enough to take care of, but appreciate you all pointing that out for me.

As for people asking me about this Dale Earnhardt Jr guy.......who the hell is he anyways, one of the GM engineers????[sm=smiley22.gif][sm=smiley2.gif]

Quick Reply: New Monte owner