New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New Monte, long-time Chevy owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Default New Monte, long-time Chevy owner

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a 2002 Monte Carlo LS, black-on-black, and I decided to join this forum. As the title above (and sig below) states, I'm not new to GMs. In fact, I've owned nothing but Chevys my whole life! I also belong to both Beretta forums, and the GM Inside News forum. I'm eager to share my knowledge with all of you, as well as learn new things.

A little about myself. I'm from Connecticut. I love modding and customizing my cars. I currently own the fastest V6/auto Beretta in the state (15.4 ET N/A). This is by default, since the previous fastest owner (13.9 ET w/75-shot NO) recently moved to Rhode Island. The de-modded 94 in my sig is the one, and is currently pending sale. My other project and daily driver is the 96 while the Monte is garaged for the winter. I can't wait to start working on it in the Spring and see what I can't cook up (with this forum's help, of course ).

Going in reverse chronological order, I've owned the following:
1993 Beretta base, 3.1 MPFI, auto
1994 Cavalier Z24, 3.1 MPFI auto
1988 Cavalier Z24, 2.8 MPFI, auto
1988 Cavalier Z24, 2.8 MPFI, auto

So, as you can see, I've got a lot of experience driving and working on GM 60-degree V6s. I love 'em (lower intake manifold gaskets aside. ) Thank Felpro for the metal ones. LOL!

Anyway. I look forward to posting more. My first issue already is a temperamental Passlock system that sometimes doesn't recognize my key. I'm going to bypass it with resistor(s), as I've read on here can be done. Aside from that, I can't complain. When it does start, it runs and shifts beautifully. I don't regret buying it at all!

Attached Thumbnails New Monte, long-time Chevy owner-s7302589-.jpg  
Old 12-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you got yourself a pretty nice LS there!

I am a total GM guy myself!

Old 12-02-2009, 02:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum.

You should tackle the 3500 top-swap for that Monte

Old 12-02-2009, 02:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

heyy! welcome to the forum! great intro BTW =D
and yup total GM girl right here =]
first mod you should get for that nice black monte is a either a surfboard or pace spoiler if it didnt come with one =]

Old 12-02-2009, 08:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Welcome to the forum. Cant wait to see what you do with your monte.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the warm welcomes so far, everyone! I've been lurking here as a guest for a couple weeks, and I noticed how friendly you all are. It reminds me of back when I first joined Bstuff, before I ever attempted to do any modifications to my cars. LOL!

@SpinEm_90 Thank you! I like to be as descriptive as possible when posting online. I find it helps in eliminating any confusion later. You are correct, by the way. It did not come with a spoiler, and I've already told a buddy of mine of Bstuff how much I hate that exposed "camel hump" in the back. LOL! I've already looked into some of the aftermarket body kits, and I think the pace spoiler (is that the NASCAR-style one) would do nicely. Question: Do all "surfboards" have a 3rd brake light in them? The reason I ask is because I already have a light in the decklid (duh, since it didn't come with a factory spoiler).

Old 12-02-2009, 09:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

None of the spoiler come with a brake light. Both the surfboard, and race inspired spoiler have a "notch" in then that goes around the 3rd brake light in the trunk.

Personally, if your starting from scratch, i'd go with the Race inspired spoiler, there is no reason you can't, because you have no holes from a previous spoiler. IMO, the race inspired is way better than the surf board. That said, the surf board is way better than no spoiler. No offense, but I hate the Monte without a spoiler...that would be my first mod!

Next mod would be to get some new wheels, and dump the plastic wheel covers! After those tow things, you will have a super sharp black Monte!

Old 12-03-2009, 12:32 AM

Ah! So the spoilers wrap around the hump, and all humps came with the light. Gotcha.

No worries. I'm not offended at all. It seems to be common opinion, even on the Beretta boards, that a 6th gen Monte with no spoiler looks like crap. I happen to agree. And a race inspired spoiler would be the logical way to go on a stock unmolested deck lid.

And believe me, I'm dying to put some real wheels on this thing, even if they're the same size. Hell, that would save me money on tires! Unfortunately, the only spare set or rims I have is 5x100, not 5x115 (the price I pay for being a J-body & L-body geek all these years). So I either search craigslist/eBay, get lucky in the Wanted/For Sale section here, get really lucky in the local yards, or buy new.

Waitaminute! You don't think the Monte is super sharp black as it is?! :P
Funny thing happened the 2nd day after I got it. It was parked out front (where I took that above pic), and I was talking to my next-door neighbor. Some local chum was on the other side of the road and decided to cross at my place and walk towards us. My neighbor leans over to me and whispers in my ear, "Uh oh. What the hell does this goofball want?" The bum/junkie/alcoholic/all-of-the-above smiles at me (at least I think it was a smile, since I couldn't tell due to his missing teeth) and says, "That's a really nice car," pointing to the Monte.

Given the circumstances, I'm not sure that was a compliment or an insult.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Welcome to the MCf family

Quick Reply: New Monte, long-time Chevy owner