New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New Member IL

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Default New Member IL

hey guys my names brad im 19 and i recently sold my jeep and planing to go buy a 88' ss for a good deal but they said the front transmisson seal leaks, and it has been sitting in a barn for awhile(start it up regularly) i was wonder how hard it is to change it out your self (have tools) and what else i should look for since its been sittin for awhile

thanks!

Old 09-25-2011, 04:04 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome. I have no clue. I'm sure someone will help you soon. Post some pics as soon as you are allowed!

Old 09-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Welcome to the Forum..

Old 09-25-2011, 04:31 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Welcome to the site!

Old 09-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

welcome. i think those seals leak a little if they sit around for awhile. i think my dads camaro leaks but once you drive it a little bit it should quit

Old 09-25-2011, 06:03 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Welcome to the forum

Old 09-25-2011, 06:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

heyy! welcome to the forum! what part of IL are you from?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Welcome to the forum!

Old 09-26-2011, 06:54 AM

Hi `Brad & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family...

What type of Jeep did you have ? Post a pic : )
Also, post a picture of the 4th Gen Monte & let us know everything about it 4-Sure...

How bad is the seal leaking ? I'm sure if you have the tools and get a Book on it, that you should be able to change it `if it needs to be changed...

Is it stock ? or has it been modified ? Let us know OK
PICTURES & more details please + Good Luck.

Look 4ward to your reply...Peace/Out

Old 09-26-2011, 11:27 AM

Hello Brad; welcome to the Monte Carlo Forum. That 88 is one of my favorites. I have an 81 with the V-6 turbo.
If the front seal is leaking it needs to be changed. They are not supposed to leak at all but eventually they wear, dry out and leak. To change that seal either the engine or transmission needs to come out. I would pull the transmission. If you have access to a lift and a transmission jack then the job will be easy. If not you will need to jack the car up and put it on four sturdy jack stands. Make sure that the car is safe and secure. You will still need a floor jack and a helper.
Disconnect the battery. Remove the starter. Remove the transmission inspection cover. Use a small pry bar or large screw driver to turn the flywheel to access the flywheel to torque converter bolts. There should be four or five of them. Remove them all. Next move to the rear end and remove the four bolts that secure the driveshaft to the rearend. Lower the back of the driveshaft but do not pull it from the transmission yet. Take some electrical tape and wrap it around the universal joint caps to keep them in place. This is also a good time to check them for wear. If worn change them when you have it out of the car. Put a drain pan under the front of the drive shaft. Now you can pull the drive shaft from the back of the tranny. It will leak some tranny fluid. Unplug any wires hooked to the side of the transmission. Start at the top of the bellhousing and begin removing the bolts that hook the trany to the engine block. Push the torque converter back toward the transmission. It should slide back about half an inch. Put a floor jack under the transmission pan and put a small amount of pressure on the tranny with the jack. Now remove the transmission crosmember bolts that secure it to the frame. With your helper handy slightly lower the jack and pull the tranny to the back of the car. It should slide back and lower from the car. Be careful as I weighs around 150 lbs. Or there abouts. Not real heavy but enough to hurt you. Pull the trany out and put it on a bench. Now is a good time to service the transmission. Replace the filter and gasket. Check for metal shavings in the pan. If you find lots of shavings and clutch material take the tranny to a transmission shop and have it rebuilt. Pull the torque converter from the front of the transmission. It should pull straight out. Use a seal puller to remove the seal. Use a seal installer to reinstall the seal. You can also use a block of wood and a hammer but use care. Just a note: if your transmission fluid is not a clear bright red or if it has a burned smell to it, get it rebuilt. Reinstall the torque converter by spinning it as you push it back into the transmission. If it doesn't seat all the way back your transmission will not bolt back to the motor. Installation is reverse of the procedure above. It would be wise to purchase a Haynes or Chilton repair manual on your car. It may include something I forgot. I hope you find this helpful. Gregg.

Last edited by mousehousemoparman; 09-26-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: New Member IL