New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New member from eden, ny with a 84 monte.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Default New member from eden, ny with a 84 monte.

Hello everyone,
I've owned this never ending project for @ 8 yrs now. I've done tons of work to it, but the car has never been right. It seems like I do one upgrade, or repair to improve the car, and 3 other things go wrong. I still love monte's(bought my 1st 83 monte at age 15) but when you have low funds and a car like this one, its hard to ever finish. Well this year I'd like to make it happen. If a few things fall into place for me I will have a sweet monte ss clone. If they don't Im still getting the car streetable and driveable! The cars been sitting for the majority of 5 years now in storage. Its not making things better, its making them worse. Some things that are done already- 383 stroker, with tons of high perf. parts bolted to it, rebuilt trans with 2500 stall and shift kit, new bf goodrich radial t/a, new shocks, new brakes, headers to stainless custom bent pipes, dual flowmasters, exhaust exits in front of the rear tires on each side. Theres lots more, but I won't bore you with every detail! I look forward to the project, just hoping everything goes in a good direction for once with this car, rather than to the bad! I think with evryones knowledge and insight here I will be able to finish the car up right. Some upgrades need asap. POSI REAREND AND GEARS!!! The motor I have screams at mid to higher rpm's. I have a stock open 7.5 in there with 2.88 gears I believe. The car out of the hole kinda dogs, Once the motor is wound up a bit it flies and burys the speedo at very low rpm's. I've researched the rearend stuff alot, again its one of those things that if things would workout for me I could have a sweet 9" installed with wilwood disk brakes for alittle more than it would cost to put a posi in my stock rearend. Oh well, enough rambling, just sayin hello, and everyone wish me luck on hopefully my final attemp to finish my 84 monte!

Old 03-10-2011, 06:50 AM

Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.
It's great to have another 4th Gen Monte in the MCF Family.
We hope that when time permits that you can post some pictures of your car.
What type of gear are you going 2 put in your Monte ?
Low gear for power/drags or a street gear ?
Look 4ward to your future posts...EnJoy the MCF & good luck on finishing your project...Sounds like `fun...EnJoy

Old 03-10-2011, 06:56 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum!

Old 03-10-2011, 07:33 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the site and good luck on the build.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:36 AM

Im thinking I haft to do atleast a 3.73 or 4.11's as the motor likes the mid to higher rpms. I'm not going to drive the car alot. Just probably a handfull of times over summer. I do want to 1/4 mile race here and there and also want to drive the car to the track which is over a hour away. So 3.73 probably do best. Whats everyone think?

Old 03-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

i would do 3.73's i think 4.11's would be a bit over geared if you want to street it, i would look for a GN 8.5 rear end posi and stronger the 7.5 is ok but will become a week point

welcome to the forum BTW

Old 03-10-2011, 08:08 AM

Well a few of my longtime friends build/drive race cars, late models to be exact. They just bought 3 new chasis and all parts to put the cars together. There kinda bugging me to come back and be on the pit crew and help assemble the cars, and goto all the races. I like drag racing but a awesome handling street car is what I want, and then race the straight line 1/4 mile here and there. This person I speak of has a daughter that just started racing street stocks, which are primarily g-body cars. So like I stated above if things fall into place for me I may have a sweet car, meaning I'm gonna offer all my components(rearend, suspension parts, etc,etc) for his daughters car If he will swap me for his old out dated late model parts. I help him build and pit crew 3 cars, he helps my on my 84'. Hopefully it works out. He had a 9" quick change rearend a while back he was going to sell me for $800. I didn't buy it cuz I lived in a apartment and had no where to keep it. I just gotta wait for the right deals. hopefully I find them soon!!

Old 03-10-2011, 12:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Welcome to the site and hopefully it all works out for ya. Post pics when you can.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:08 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Welcome! I don't know enough about rear ends to give you any good advice. All I can do is appreciate the beauty of a nice rear end. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by fonz3482
Hello everyone,
I've owned this never ending project for @ 8 yrs now. I've done tons of work to it, but the car has never been right. It seems like I do one upgrade, or repair to improve the car, and 3 other things go wrong. I still love monte's(bought my 1st 83 monte at age 15) but when you have low funds and a car like this one, its hard to ever finish. Well this year I'd like to make it happen. If a few things fall into place for me I will have a sweet monte ss clone. If they don't Im still getting the car streetable and driveable! The cars been sitting for the majority of 5 years now in storage. Its not making things better, its making them worse. Some things that are done already- 383 stroker, with tons of high perf. parts bolted to it, rebuilt trans with 2500 stall and shift kit, new bf goodrich radial t/a, new shocks, new brakes, headers to stainless custom bent pipes, dual flowmasters, exhaust exits in front of the rear tires on each side. Theres lots more, but I won't bore you with every detail! I look forward to the project, just hoping everything goes in a good direction for once with this car, rather than to the bad! I think with evryones knowledge and insight here I will be able to finish the car up right. Some upgrades need asap. POSI REAREND AND GEARS!!! The motor I have screams at mid to higher rpm's. I have a stock open 7.5 in there with 2.88 gears I believe. The car out of the hole kinda dogs, Once the motor is wound up a bit it flies and burys the speedo at very low rpm's. I've researched the rearend stuff alot, again its one of those things that if things would workout for me I could have a sweet 9" installed with wilwood disk brakes for alittle more than it would cost to put a posi in my stock rearend. Oh well, enough rambling, just sayin hello, and everyone wish me luck on hopefully my final attemp to finish my 84 monte!
try at least lower gears...3,73 or 4.11 like stated....2.88 is good for mileage...but not racing.3.73 would help but gas is 4.00 gallon now....
4;11 for racing only.......id go 3.73 s////////

Quick Reply: New member from eden, ny with a 84 monte.