New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New from Kenosha, WI

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Default New from Kenosha, WI

Hi, guys. Name is Zach, and I've had my Monte for a couple months now. Unfortunately it does have over 100k mileage on it, but I'm planning on putting quite a bit of work on it. It's a 2003 SS, and it's a very unique tan color. I'll put up some pictures as soon as my email quits bugging out on me. It's good to see I'm not the only one obsessed with this gorgeous Chevy machine!

Anyways, somethings I am looking to do are :
Convert to a manual 6 speed transmission, possibly drop an LS2 motor in there, and of course change the intake and exhaust, etc. I am not very handy, at all unfortunately, but I do want to learn. Just wanted to know if anyone knows some places to check out for these kinds of mods!

Last edited by zachkr; 08-07-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the Forum..

Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Welcome to the forum!

I'm in Janesville and go to school in Milwaukee, so not too far from you.

6 speeds and LS4s have been done before but they are both a TON of work. If you search around the site or just google, include grand prix or monte carlo in each search, they have the same chassis, but grand prix's have been modded more, so they are a GREAT source of information for bigger builds like that for our Montes.

With the 6 speed there will be A LOT of cutting and welding, so if you're not 'handy' that may not be your best bet, same with the LS4, there are a lot of parts that need to be swapped, but you're in luck!

The L36 3800 engine that you have is commonly modded and can be built to good numbers for relatively cheap.

Some things that you may want to look into:

Top Swap from an L67 3800 Supercharged
Headers
PLOG and downpipe instead of headers (headers will give more power)
Ubend delete (this would be done if you went with headers or downpipe)
Intake (ZZPerformance.com the Wizaired or ZZP intake are both GREAT)
Exhaust - be careful, as you will learn, the 3800 engine does not sound the best, it has lots of rasp and drone, look out for used GMPP exhaust kits, it's magnaflow and sounds the best on the 3800, they are discontinued though, so you'll have to find them used.

I would make an account at clubgp.com, lots of parts for our cars and your engine are sold there everyday for great prices.

That's just a start for what you can do, the 3800 engine last a VERY long time, there are members here in the 170k to 200k, so it's no problem if you treat it right.

Things I would do first to keep it running well is a simple tune-up:
Plugs, Wires, Coils etc.

Also, run some seafoam through the tank, oil and vacuum lines, that will clean it out good and get her running like new

If you need any help or anything let me know, you can send me an email and I can give you my number: red04montels@gmail.com

We should meet up some time and I can help you out and show you some simple stuff that you may need to know

Old 08-06-2012, 01:40 PM

Thank you for the great post, Trewyn! I will definitely look into your suggestions. And I am sure that I could eat up all of your time with the amount of help I would need! (lol!)

Old 08-06-2012, 01:41 PM

Welcome and enjoy the forum!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:42 PM

What would the cost difference be between headers or downpipe? I'd def be willing to spend a little extra cash to get a considerable amount more power.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Welcome to the forum. I'd do headers over a downpipe. You can get a set of Speed Daddy headers for about $200 shipped on ebay. If you're not very handy you may struggle with them but it's definitely do-able. (I struggled changing the oil when I first got the car so if I can do headers,etc., most people can probably do it as well lol, just takes some research, time and $$$ )

I have the Speed Daddy headers so if you're interested in any more info as to what else you'll need etc. just let me know. I've got a few tips that you might be interested in as well

Old 08-06-2012, 03:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Welcome!!

Old 08-06-2012, 03:41 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Welcome to the Forum

Old 08-06-2012, 05:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013