Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/)
-   -   New here, no Monte yet. (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/new-here-no-monte-yet-10927/)

RocknSS04 10-19-2008 01:00 PM

RE: New here, no Monte yet.

The SS's have the 3.8L engines, which, IMHO is/was THE best engine GM has made. PERIOD! They made MILLIONS of them, and if properly maintained, can log hundreds of thousands of miles, and get great mpg, unlike the small block V8s. Wish the mating 4t60e trannys were as bulletproof. Thats one of the reasons I got this Intimidator SS, was the tranny is the beefier 4t65e-hd. I was told the Buick Rivieras that had the L67 3.8 S/C engines had the even heavier 4t80e transmissions. Of course, Buick is the inventor of this 3.8L motor.
Anyway, good luck Dreamer on finding your "dream" Monte Carlo. What is your "dream" color?

dustybird3 10-19-2008 02:18 PM

Thanks Wayne, that's what I thought. I know mine has the 3800 but wasn't sure if all SS's do. My stepfather is a *ord man, but even he says the 3800s are bulletproof.

I have no idea what tranny I have. Is there a way, er, easy way, LOL,to find out?

ORIGINAL: RocknSS04
What is your "dream" color?
I'll second that question.

RocknSS04 10-19-2008 07:39 PM

I think all L36, 3.8L N/A cars have the 4t60e base tranny. ONLY the supercharged '04-05 Montes and police Impalas have the 4t65e-hd trannys, but I may be wrong here. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. The 06-07 5.3s have it also, I believe.
They are basically the same tranny, just a handful of items are beefier. The big thing to me is to SERVICE YOUR TRANNY EVERY 50,000 MILES! Don't get it flushed, but drop the pan, change the filter, and re-fill with new fluid.

Dreamer 10-21-2008 07:33 AM

Rockn, my dream color on the Monte is red or black.

Taz 10-21-2008 08:15 AM

I was aware that the SS models never had the 3.4 in them. I was just mentioning that little bit of info, because I know how easy it is to get talked into a different model or trim line for the sake of a "better deal". That's the reason I bought a 99 Grand Am GT instead of the 99 Grand Prix GTP I really wanted at the time. Wish I had waited a little longer and got the GP. Would've saved me the thousands of dollars I spent in major repairs on the Grand Am.

BTW... I bought the GA brand new. It was never in an accident or raced the entire time I owned the car. But still cost me almost 10 grand in major engine and mechanical repairs in the 8 years I owned it.

I would not recommend a 99+ Grand Am to ANYONE. Except maybe a mopar or furd fan. LOL. :D(j/k)

dustybird3 10-21-2008 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Dreamer

Rockn, my dream color on the Monte is red or black.

GREAT choices, LOL, but I'm biased, any vehicle I own has to be red or black :);)

Taz, you're mean, LOL, well maybe the *ord part is ok, hehe. I wasn't positive about the SS and 3800, that's the only reason I asked about it.
Stick to your dream Nina, don'tsettle forsomething that you don't REALLY want, you'll regret it in the end if you do because you'll always want what you didn't get.

kweef 10-21-2008 09:59 AM

welcome dreamer! best of luck with the monte...as everyone said go with the ss model that has the 3.8, fewer issues and also better gas mileage. i wouldnt mind seein some of this art that becky was talkin about...and becky we r always nice, when have we ever been mean?

RocknSS04 10-21-2008 04:35 PM

Red and black. GREAT colors! Here are our red and black cars at the Lane Automotive show Memorial day weekend.
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...rSS_n_Lucy.jpg
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...ale_n_Lucy.jpg

dustybird3 10-21-2008 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: kweef

and becky we r always nice, when have we ever been mean?
I know know, was just giving Taz a hard time about the Moparord comment ;)Y'all have always been nice to me :)

Nina drew a pic of a horse we lost to colic about a year and a half ago. I have the orginal photo but I gave the drawing to my mom for her b-day. If I can remeber I'll try to get a pic of the drawing. Nina may still have a copy. Nina has an AWESOME kudu drawing (I still think it's my favorite). She drew her avatar too.

Dreamer 10-22-2008 05:45 AM

Thanks Becky. Yep, definitely has to be red or black, or it's not sleek enough for me. I also wouldn't mind owning one in white, and I wouldn't mind having to keep it clean all the time either. I am picky about driving dirty cars, I used to wash my Beretta every other day. lol

I am definitely going with an SS.
I have my heart set on a Monte and this time I'm not settling for anything less, like I did when I bought the first car.

I will post some art work later, getting ready for school now.