New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New Here.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Default New Here.

Hi Everyone I am New here. I currently do not own a Monte Carlo but that could change in the next few days because I am looking at one at a local car lot :
2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS in Toms River, NJ - Buy Used Chevrolet Monte Carlo > 26758701 | AutoShopper.com

I just wanted to get some thoughts on this car and ask if there is anything I should look out for before I commit myself to the purchase

Thanks

Old 03-17-2013, 07:29 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the site.
Doesn't look bad - make sure the paint is not ruined under the front end mask. Some people leave them on all of the time and that is really bad if you don't remove it after it gets wet.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Welcome to the Forum..

Old 03-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Welcome to the Forum. Personally I'm not a fan of the cloth top but it's not my car, and X2 to what Amy said about the front mask.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Welcome

Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum.... How many miles on the car? We typically have tranny issues and so it would not hurt to pull the tranny dipstick and look at and smell the fluid. It should be a light pink and have no burnt smell to it. During a test drive, from a dead stop do a light acceleration and listen and try to feel if there are hard shifts from the tranny. Then from a dead stop do a pretty hard acceleration and see how the tranny shifts.
While you have the hood up check to see how fresh the oil is, as a good dealer would have changed the oil before offering it for sale.

Did not see any under the hood pictures, pop the hood and see if it is fairly clean under there. Look for coolant and oil leaks around the manifold as we tend to need to replace the manifold gaskets.
Look under the front at the axle boots and see if there are in one piece or if there is grease flung all over from a bad boot. While on the test drive make some slow intentional hard turns to the left and right and listen for any clicking sounds that may signal a bad CVC joint.
Do some hard pulls on the freeway and see if you can get her to overheat and observe for smoke and what color it is from the tail pipe if there is any at all.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Welcome to the site. Here is a list of some common problems on these cars.

LINK https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ge...lutions-30154/

Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I would also check underneath the floor mats and the undercarriage of the vehicle to make sure that there is no rust since it is a vehicle from up north. They didn't provide any close ups of the interior dash so definitely triple check it, looked like it didn't have a radio system in it judging from the passenger door side shot.(It is either that or it is a touchscreen) Also be sure to check the tire wear and for dry rot on the tires and see if you can peek into the rotors and brakes. Tire problems would lead to a solid 500+ for 4 new ones plus at least 130$ for rotors and brakes if they aren't in a good condition. As they said above the front cover and the engine. Look very closely in the engine though because they did not post any pics that would make me a bit skeptical.

Good luck!

Edit - Don't be afraid to ask them to have it checked out by a mechanic of your choosing if you are skeptical of anything going wrong. Most shops (at least down here) will do a vehicle inspection for free. If they say no then I would def worry. I had mine checked at a mechanic before I bought it and dealer had no problem with it.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:14 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Welcome to the Forum

Old 03-18-2013, 09:35 AM

Welcome to the forum, I would defiantly do everything everyone suggested, sometimes in order for the transmission to act up it has to be warm, especially when the pcs is bad. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Here.