New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New here

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Default New here

hey everyone, im new here and just bought a 97 z34 this morning and im in love with it already. compared to my last car, its everything i wish i car could be. im still figuring things out and have yet to read all of the owners manual, but this car has already taken to me. i was just wondering if i could get a heads up on what to expect from the car, theres already minor problems with it since i bought it used, but thier easy to fix, but what might be some major things im looking at? thanks for the help.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: New here

Hey welcome to the forum. Ive got a 97 z34 like yours. Its an awesome car and will treat you good if you take care of it. Keep an eye on the timing belt. They only havea lifespan of 70-80 thousand miles. Some people like to change them as soon as 60000 miles. Its very important that you replace it if its old or worn because if it breaks, it will cause some harm to your engine. Make sure you keep an eye on the transmission too. Keep the fluid full and change it when necessary. If you encounter a problem with it taking a while to shift between park-reverse-drive, or it slipping under WOT,have it checked out because the line pressure solenoid goes bad on these transmissions. Mine ended up failing and costing me a rebuild. Also, keep the oil changes regular. The oil in the engine has a long way to flow, so you want to keep the oil as clean and sludge free as possible. Also, keep an eye on the coolant level. The last thing you want to happen to this engine is it eating a bunch of coolant cause of a bad gasket. There is an oil pump drive in the hole that the distributor would be on an older style engine. The O ring around it likes to fail and leak. Not much you can do but pull the head to have it replaced or slap some RTV around it. Let your car run a few minutes before you leave when its cold. These engines run like **** when cold and the oil will take a little while to heat up and travel all the way through the engine. Im sure there are a few other little things im missing but I think these are the most important things to look out for. Like I said, its a good car and a good engine, just treat it right and it will return the favor.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009
Default RE: New here

Welcome!

Your screen name upsets me. Being a Cubs fan and all....