New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New to the Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Default New to the Forum

Hi

Figured i would do a thread to introduce myself a bit. I dont have a monte yet. Were goiing to be buying one in a few weeks. Its a 1999 Monte Carlo LS. Bright Red, Spoiler, with the grey velour. Not sure what else to say about it LOL We are buying from a freind of ours who bought this car brand new and its been babied most of its life. were getting it for 1500, roughly 145K miles. Im not sure much info about these cars my only experience is my Grandmas 1986 Monte Carlo Luxury sport thatI worshipped in high school. It was silver Emmaculate condition, and she sold it in 98 with 45K miles for 2000 dollars. I was crushed. Then my grandpa sold hispearl white 85 ElCamino Conquista with 56K for 1500 dollars. If i wasnt so young i would of had them committed LOL.

There are a few odd things with this monte maybe they are common but i figured i would ask

- the grill has a grey area with a chrome band which the grey is cracked. Is this a seperate piece that can be taken off and replacedor part of the front bumper?
- The blinker on once side doesnt work unless you slightly pull the lever while its in position
- The dash lights are burned out in multiple places cluster, radio, and climate control are these replacable?
- the power door lock switch wont unluck the passenger door the switches work but the door wont unlock

last question on the 99 did GM intergrate all the electronics to the BCM? I have a 02 Buick Rendezvous that is a nightmare cause everything is Vin or BCM controlled is this Monte like that? mainly the radio it has theftlock which jsut means it need a code to work right? can i put another radio in or will i need bypass and chime modules?

Old 01-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Default RE: New to the Forum

The blinker on once side doesnt work unless you slightly pull the lever while its in position
This happened to my 98 monte ls and you most likely have your turn signal switch broken. Mine was about $50 and labor cost near $200! My uncle who is a mechanic did all the labor for free. I found one on google shopping in less then a minute.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:01 PM

welcome dude. sounds like a decent car.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like quite a family of cars your family had. Congrats on your Monte. The problems you mentioned sound typical for a 10 year old car.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:39 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the site

Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 PM

Well thank you for the welcomes i cant wait to get some pics up

Old 01-07-2009, 10:04 PM

welcome to mcf...

as for ur problems

#1 i do not know enough about the front end of a 99 to answer that
#2 as cut throat said sounds like a broken switch
#3 you can replace those dashe lights but im not sure about th radio lights
#4 does anything unlock the passanger door (ur fob)

Old 01-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

hey, welcome to the site

Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 PM

Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum I have a 2002 Monte Carlo LS. It is Sandrift Metallic. I put some aftermarket rims just 16's but something to dress it up a little. I put a spoiler on it not anything flashy it's jus a little one to make it more sporty it's one that just comes up about and inch. I put on a Magnaflow Catback Exhaust System on xmas day and I love how it sounds and it even accelerates better. Today I ordered a Cold Air Intake Kit from Wizaired. So im just letting every1 know im new to the forum hah and telling you wat i have.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

if i dident know any better, id say you jus bought my car! it had all of those problems, but ive managed to fix most of them. the turn signal swich is definitly busted, a new one with out cruse is about $50-60, but if you have cruse controll like me ( there should be a lil button on the end of the lever) it will set you back about $130-160 new!! thats the main reason why mine is not on the road yet. also, make shure someone repairs it who knows what there doing, it is a very involved process that could set off the airbag, you need to dissasemble pretty much the whole steering colum. mine also had the same problem with the pass. door. i thought the lock was stuck, too, and tried to use a slim jim to open it from inside the door. when i noticed the lock threw just fine, i figured it was the lach its self. its yet another very involved process to replace it if the door wont open, i had to remove all the interior peices in the back of the car to access it. if you need the details, send me a private message and i will be happy to share!

Quick Reply: New to the Forum